• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet shop resident

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you guys so much for all your honest answers. I always want honest even if it means saying things I might not to hear; I always want what's best for the birds. But after leaving the pet shop yesterday (and feeling horrible for leaving without him) I was talking with my husband trying to talk him into letting me bring him home and he asked me about the possibility of the bird being used to being at the pet store for so long that what if it caused some psychological problems and my honest answer was "I don't know" so I couldn't wait to get home and ask my bird friends, because I was sure you all would know! I'm going to call the pet shop and see what other information I can get about the conure and see if I can talk my husband into letting me bring him home. I'll keep you all up dated, thank you all!
Well @Brittany0208 Adopted Java, a former Vasa breeder who was injured in a raccoon attack. I have a handful of different fids whom I took in because they were:- "abandoned, tiel Miss Peeps"; given up tiels "Pretty Baby & Pretty Bird" no age, bonded/too old to breed; adopted Quaker Loofa, her parront was moving and had to give her up; adopted Quaker Edie (aka Miss Daisy), family was expecting another child; tiel Sunny (22 yrs old, RIP), missed his deceased mate; blind Quaker Polly Parrot age estimated in her 20's (former owners, one suffering from dementia onset would hit the cages of the birds because he didn't like the noise) TY to @Kayaker. I forgot Tikki who was surrendered to a pet store in Indiana - both @zoo mom & @Merlie for helping with transport.

They have each adapted to a mixed flock & new home but it hasn't been overnight. If your little pet shop sun is begging for your attention it could be possible he's had a previous home. Suns can be jealous of their chosen person but it is a situation that can be worked with/around.

Tiels are the most laid back, gccs will have particular preferences as will the Quakers. Sun conure Tikki is used to my immediate family but we have to watch him if a stranger enters the house.

Last edited:

Chickadee85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Update: I talked my hubby into letting me go pick up my new baby! I will be getting him tomorrow hopefully if I can talk my self into waiting long enough for my daughter to get home from school so she can help me with cages and such. I pretty much knew he would let me, but wanted to make sure that he wouldn't disown me. I wasn't able to get in touch with the pet store, I can't find contact info for them online, so I will have to get all my info when I go pick up the bird. :heart:o_O

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I wasn't able to get in touch with the pet store, I can't find contact info for them online
What's the name & city of the store? We'll find it. ;)

Chickadee85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
It was in Birmingham, Mi and I don't remember the name of it. I have never been there before, we drove by it and it said "Exotic birds" and I told my hubby "OH we gotta stop in and look" because I always do when I'm in the big city because I like looking.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been quietly following this thread. So excited about the news of your new guy :fairy2::elefant:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It'd be easier if I knew what it was next to, or what street. You could google a map of Birmingham then search "pet" nearby and glance at their store fronts in the results to see if any of them look familiar. The most likely place I see in that area that sells birds looks like Royal Tropical Fish & Birds off N Woodward & Hartrick.

But then again I can't imagine any "likely places" having an unnamed resident animal. :unsure1: Even though he's for sale you'd think the employees'd call him something.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I just can't get over the fact that he's 7 and doesn't have a name, and has been there his that long. It just broke my heart, I wanted to smuggle him right out of there. Adjustments I can live with and get used to, I just have to make my hubby see it!
Congratulations on talking your hubby into letting you bring this beautiful bird home! Suns are the most rehomed birds because of their loud calls.... which sometimes can't be controlled and they will scream and call non-stop. You may very well experience this while it adjusts to a new environment. ( also, it can take months... months for a bird to really adjust to changes) Not to rain on your happy parade, I do love a sun conure! BTW.... Did you play the video for your hubby at full volume? If you and he can handle that ( in reality it is much louder when in the confines of your walls in your home) by playing the video consecutively for at least 30 minutes then you will be a wonderful home! We have a lot of great vendors here on the avenue with great toys to keep those noisy beaks content and busy. Everyone here will help guide you to living with a companion bird!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Congratulations on talking your hubby into letting you bring this beautiful bird home! Suns are the most rehomed birds because of their loud calls.... which sometimes can't be controlled and they will scream and call non-stop. You may very well experience this while it adjusts to a new environment. ( also, it can take months... months for a bird to really adjust to changes) Not to rain on your happy parade, I do love a sun conure! BTW.... Did you play the video for your hubby at full volume? If you and he can handle that ( in reality it is much louder when in the confines of your walls in your home) by playing the video consecutively for at least 30 minutes then you will be a wonderful home! We have a lot of great vendors here on the avenue with great toys to keep those noisy beaks content and busy. Everyone here will help guide you to living with a companion bird!

Yes! x100!

Understand the bird you are rescuing. Everyone in your family needs to be ready for the reality of the voice you are bringing home. Being a natural noisy bird is the saddest re-home story. Birds will sing, and they will sing the song of their species. He deserves a forever home. With LOVE! A NAME! and a FLOCK he can call his own. :xflove::starshower1:

Last edited:

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
My husband and I went into a exotic fish and bird shop today just as a fun side thing to do while we were out and in the "big city" I live in a very small country town so the big city is about an hour and a half away. Anyway at this exotic fish and bird shop they had the most adorable sun conure out on a play stand. I have been wanting a conure for a long time but just haven't found one I want or come across circumstances that I feel are appropriate for me. I asked the kid working there about the conure and if I could hold him, and he told me I could. The kid said the conure was 7 years old, didn't even have a name and had spent his whole life at this pet shop. (I wanted to start crying and take him home right then and there). I was able to hold him and give him scritches, and he just begged for more poor little fellow. When I put this conure down, he immediately tried to climb back to me. And he called for me when I walked away :(. What I am wondering is if this bird has spent his whole life at this pet shop, will it be better for it to stay there getting attention whenever customers give it to him? Would it mess with his birdy brain to be taken away from that situation?
View attachment 299180

WOW! He sure is a beauty. He looks so proud sitting there looking at you. I'm really glad you got him.

Chickadee85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I can officially announce that Loki is no longer a pet shop resident. It was the Royal Tropical Fish & Bird in Royal Oak/Birmingham. Ok so here is his back story: He was purchased by the pet shop as a breeder bird for their Sun Conure breeding program but flunked out because he wasn't a good dad due to the fact that he wanted all of the human attention himself, and didn't take care of the babies. He has been there for so long because they said it took them a while to find a female breeding partner that he was compatible with, and then for them to breed. Then they waited to see if he would shape up to become a better dad, but that didn't happen. So he has been a pet shop resident for the last 3 years, even though he has technically lived there all seven of years of his life. So he now has a name and a family. We chose Loki because he looks like a fiery sunset and didn't want to give him something as common as Sunny he deserves a unique name that suites him. And honestly that's the name that popped into my head the first time I saw him. He is such a sweetheart, he is currently curled up on the back of my neck in my hooded sweatshirt. We have heard the Conure scream, he called to the cockatiels as soon as they heard me walk in the door they started contact calling for me and Loki answered. Somehow I added two of the same picture..opps. The second is my 10 year old with Loki, and the third is Loki's new Cage we bought him
loki3.jpg loki3.jpg cuddles.jpg newcage.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yeyyyy!
:congrats5:

Loki is so beautiful! How lovely that he is so friendly with you and your daughter! It has made me so happy reading how you saw this bird and now you have given him a loving home and a name :)

Those pictures are so heartwarming ❤

Chickadee85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Yeyyyy!
:congrats5:

Loki is so beautiful! How lovely that he is so friendly with you and your daughter! It has made me so happy reading how you saw this bird and now you have given him a loving home and a name :)

Those pictures are so heartwarming ❤
Thank you, I appreciate all the encouragement. I just couldn't let him stay there, I knew we had to help. I know life with birds isn't always perfect but they always make me smile.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congratulations Loki. You now have a name, a home and a flock.
And I will add: A descent life!

Congrats to you all! ♥
It seems like he is holding on to you as he is sure of that he soon will be back in that pet shop.
Yet he hasn't realized how lucky he is. But he will. He will sing the song of the Sun's when he realize. :D (you did bought earplugs too?)