• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet shop resident

Chickadee85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
My husband and I went into a exotic fish and bird shop today just as a fun side thing to do while we were out and in the "big city" I live in a very small country town so the big city is about an hour and a half away. Anyway at this exotic fish and bird shop they had the most adorable sun conure out on a play stand. I have been wanting a conure for a long time but just haven't found one I want or come across circumstances that I feel are appropriate for me. I asked the kid working there about the conure and if I could hold him, and he told me I could. The kid said the conure was 7 years old, didn't even have a name and had spent his whole life at this pet shop. (I wanted to start crying and take him home right then and there). I was able to hold him and give him scritches, and he just begged for more poor little fellow. When I put this conure down, he immediately tried to climb back to me. And he called for me when I walked away :(. What I am wondering is if this bird has spent his whole life at this pet shop, will it be better for it to stay there getting attention whenever customers give it to him? Would it mess with his birdy brain to be taken away from that situation?
loki1.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What I am wondering is if this bird has spent his whole life at this pet shop, will it be better for it to stay there
No it will not. If a parrot begs to stay at a total stranger and after calling to her I'm sure that that parrot really want to live somewhere else.
If you know how much it takes to have a Conure and if you can handle the screaming, go back and give that darling a new home. But be sure that you are going to keep him.
Also ask why he had been their so long. Very important to know.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
No it will not. If a parrot begs to stay at a total stranger and after calling to her I'm sure that that parrot really want to live somewhere else.
If you know how much it takes to have a Conure and if you can handle the screaming, go back and give that darling a new home. But be sure that you are going to keep him.
Also ask why he had been their so long. Very important to know.
I totally agree. If you know what you are getting into why not invite him into a more stable home. Conures love their families. I think Eloy is 100% though, ask about his WHOLE history, including medical care, previous homes, how he was raised.

Also this is what you will live with noise wise everyday. Make sure you are aware of what that can sound like.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What an angel! :joyful: He's beautiful! And sweet to boot? :heart:
will it be better for it to stay there getting attention whenever customers give it to him? Would it mess with his birdy brain to be taken away from that situation?
I think you knew the answer before you asked the question. ;) That poor darling doesn't get scritches from most customers and even if he got scritched all day long, he's alone all night when the store is closed. There may be some bumps during transition, but if I had the means to give him a home I'd scoop him up in a heartbeat no matter what his history. (I'd still like to know what I could of his past, it could help you understand fears or behaviors later.)

Go get that little love sponge; he needs a home and you need some Sun! :marlenesmile:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also this is what you will live with noise wise everyday. Make sure you are aware of what that can sound like.

What a cute sound!❤

@Chickadee85 , if you decide to go back for him/her, please update!! :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
What a cute sound!❤

@Chickadee85 , if you decide to go back for him/her, please update!! :)
It's only cute when your sun is not sitting on your shoulder when he does that ... :blahblah::imok:

The only bird that I've heard which was louder was a Patagonian conure (?). And that was from 2 rooms away with all the doors closed. :backout:

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
It's only cute when your sun is not sitting on your shoulder when he does that ... :blahblah::imok:
Farlie was helping me make a cup of coffee last night when I looked up and noticed the time, 8:03, and I said, "Oops, it's time for little birdies to go to bed." And Farlie SCREAMED while sitting on my shoulder.
Got me!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Farlie was helping me make a cup of coffee last night when I looked up and noticed the time, 8:03, and I said, "Oops, it's time for little birdies to go to bed." And Farlie SCREAMED while sitting on my shoulder.
Got me!
I'm pretty sure that when our beloved suns let fly while on our shoulders it feels well over 100db. I've jokingly told people that a screaming sun can make your ears bleed (and I don't mean because of biting).

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I believe you have just been picked by a bird. If you can handle the noise and your situation is good, go get that guy/girl.

I think the names Mango, Pumpkin, Sunny, and Fred are good names. Sorry but no name for 7 years is just wrong.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think the names Mango, Pumpkin, Sunny, and Fred are good names. Sorry but no name for 7 years is just wrong.
Yea, agreed!

You would think after a year they´d be like... Well... he doesn´t have a name but we all call him Mango

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm pretty sure that when our beloved suns let fly while on our shoulders it feels well over 100db. I've jokingly told people that a screaming sun can make your ears bleed (and I don't mean because of biting).
Yep, I've lost hearing over the years. When they do that shrill shriek on my shoulder, it no longer hurts so I know they've adjusted my hearing.

Chickadee85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you guys so much for all your honest answers. I always want honest even if it means saying things I might not to hear; I always want what's best for the birds. But after leaving the pet shop yesterday (and feeling horrible for leaving without him) I was talking with my husband trying to talk him into letting me bring him home and he asked me about the possibility of the bird being used to being at the pet store for so long that what if it caused some psychological problems and my honest answer was "I don't know" so I couldn't wait to get home and ask my bird friends, because I was sure you all would know! I'm going to call the pet shop and see what other information I can get about the conure and see if I can talk my husband into letting me bring him home. I'll keep you all up dated, thank you all!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm going to call the pet shop and see what other information I can get about the conure and see if I can talk my husband into letting me bring him home. I'll keep you all up dated
I wish there was a ¨love¨ button instead of just like :)

I can´t wait to hear what happens!!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
it no longer hurts so I know they've adjusted my hearing.
o_O

he asked me about the possibility of the bird being used to being at the pet store for so long that what if it caused some psychological problems
Our macaw's previous owner was going through a divorce when she reached out to us to take him. She told us that he hadn't been out of his (too small) cage in over a year. When we got him home he climbed right into his cage as soon as we opened his carrier and despite us leaving the door propped open anytime we were home, it still took him a week to venture out just to the top of the door. :(

I would say that the less than ideal conditions at the pet store are what might cause any psychological problems, not the healthy environment. After this little fella come to live with you there will be an adjustment phase, but I believe it will be a change for the better. :)

Chickadee85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I just can't get over the fact that he's 7 and doesn't have a name, and has been there his that long. It just broke my heart, I wanted to smuggle him right out of there. Adjustments I can live with and get used to, I just have to make my hubby see it!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
In a lot of ways you may end up with a perfect bird.

1. He chose you.
2. He is already sexually mature. You will not have to worry about the growing pains of a young bird.

It sounds like a perfect match to me. There will always be ups and downs in birds' lives. They have bad days, good days and everything in between.

Sometimes people have rocky beginnings too, but don't they make the best friends!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yep, I've lost hearing over the years. When they do that shrill shriek on my shoulder, it no longer hurts so I know they've adjusted my hearing.
So it's perfectly normal for you to also say "What?" when someone says something behind you?

Last edited: