• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet camera recommendations?

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I'll be going back to Albania for 2 months and right after that I'll be moving out for college (birds cannot come) so I'm looking into getting a pet camera so I can keep an eye on them when I'm gone. I've been looking at standard security cameras but cannot decide. I'm looking for something small that I could easily mount to the side of the cage and something that swivels and turns that I can control remotely. Do you any of you guys use such cameras? Any recommendations? I don't want to buy something and then have it break down after a month or two of use.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have nestcams and am very happy with them.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We have nestcams and love them
We can check in listen and talk the night view is clear and daytime is crystal clear

We had Izon cameras and had nothing but trouble with them

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I would recommend a camera mounted on the wall opposite the cage so you don't have to worry about a motorized movement to break.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have the same camera as @Dartman . I like it alot because you don't have to pay a subscription fee like you do with the Nest cam. I would just be careful about making sure your bird can't get to the camera or cord. I have mine under a big clear storage bin.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I purchased a Nestcam last month because of all the travel I have for the month of May. It was super easy to set up and I have not experienced any problems; it sends you a notification through your phone app when it a person is detected as well as if there is "activity" -- this has been my birds moving around their cages, sunlight moving across the room, and even lightning outside the windows. When I was on vacation, I used the microphone to talk to my birds too (and you can listen too). In addition to the app notices, I also get notices when the camera is off -- these were not long periods of time, but because of my internet connection, it would happen on a few occasions. My Nestcam does not swivel or pan, but I have it sitting on shelf that is eye level to the cages.

The Nestcam is on the expensive side, though, and when I was doing my research, I was also interested in the camera that @Dartman listed and the Amazon version: Amazon Cloud Cam Indoor Security Camera, works with Alexa Ultimately, my laziness gave out because of everyone who told me that they loved their Nestcam and me not wanting the hassle of testing out other cameras.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Thanks for all the recommendations guys!! Seems like the nestcam is the most popular but I'll definitely check out the other option too.