• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pest control precautions

Atous

Strolling the yard
Hello all!

I live in an apartment and we NEED to call pest control to come spray. I keep a clean house and they're everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE.

Last time, we boarded our birds for a few days and moved anything bird related on to the patio. But now the roaches have found our bedroom and have made home in the wheels of the bird cage!! I now want their cage to be in debugged but I'm not sure what I need to do after to make sure it's 100% safe for the birds to be in.

I plan on removing all perches and bowls and cloth things and packing them up. How can I clean their cage to make sure no residual poison is left on it?

Thank you in advance!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I would do the opposite by sealing the wheels in plastic bags with some diatomaceous earth for the life cycle (or two!) of a cockroach then put the cages out on the patio along with the toys. Make sure to tape the bags to the legs of the cage because cockroaches can squirm through an opening the width of a piece of paper. That way you don't have to worry whether there's any residual spray left after the cage has been given a good scrubbing.

Otherwise, I'd call the company that's applying the spray to ask them for the name of the chemical and what they recommend.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I lived in campus housing etc during grad school and my Quaker of 24 years has neurological problems from all the years of spraying. Pre internet times. I live n fl and use diatomaceous earth along the perimeter of the bird room.

Last edited:

Atous

Strolling the yard
I wouldn't have thought about that!! That's a perfect idea. Thanks so much guys. And I'm sorry about your Quakers, that's why I've been trying holistic methods like bay leaves and stuff. They helped a little but it's not enough any more nor could I put them in wheels lol