• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Perches for older birds

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
One thing I am now running into is the lack of coordination with Gracie as she is getting older. She almost fell from the top perch in her cage because she lost her footing and was hanging upside down and couldn't get back up on to her perch. That being said Should I just get wider round perches or the flat perches for her?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
While my birds are still young, flat platform perches or wide rope perches I'd think would let her grip better.
Some people wrap the more slippery perches with vet wrap for a better grip, too.

Also getting a cage that's not as tall could give her more safety if she were to fall.

Good luck finding a solution for Gracie. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I highly recommend flat perches - boards across the cage. If Gracie is old, she may have arthritis in her feet, ankle or legs. Additionally, you can lower the ceiling of the cage with plywood - Danita did this for Bea and it was quite successful. The last thing you could do is pad the bottom of the cage, so she is less likely to hurt herself if she does fall.

In addition to the above, if Gracie is falling at night, you could put her in a carrying cage to sleep at night. Jasper sleeps in a dog crate every night and it has helped her arthritis by getting the weight off her feet/legs overnight. She loves her sleep crate.

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
At this point in her life she might also enjoy a hammock or even some kind of tent, again to take the weight of those legs and actually relax.

Two sticks with some soft no snag material between it and you have a hammock. Like a medical stretcher is made.

Last edited:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@Hankmacaw and @JLcribber thank you for the advice and recommendations. Going to hit up the craft store this weekend see what I can make for her that can help her out.

@carolz7 I will be hitting up your site tomorrow on payday :shopcart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also consider lowering perches and putting padding on the bottom of the cage so she doesn't hurt herself if she falls.