• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

peppermint oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
what are you're experience with using peppermint oil near the birds/aviary. bad/good ? thanks

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I take it you are trying to get rid of ants..I used it straight on my windowsills..safe for the birds..and no more ants

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
mice actually. i am loving your answer tho cuz i've tried to get the strait skinny on if it harms birds all over the net, asked in other forums a dozen other ways n was still left unsure and afraid to chance. oh i'm stoked someone finally answered that has been there. thank you so much!!!! .... please tell me tho- how close are your birds to the window sills that were treated? does proximity matter?

also- my condolences for your little finch Fletcher.
i lost my bambi last week too. it hurts bad i know. :sad1:
bless your heart.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
the windowsill was right over the birds...in fact after I treated it about an hour later Sam went to run back and forth..but I would wait a while before I let a bird loose on a windowsill that was treated...mine happened by accident...sorry to hear about Bambi too.

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
AWESOME!
i'm so relieved to know this.
i believe a mouse gave bambi a heart attack.
i didn't know we had mice here in our new place til then. (moved here christmas 2009).
we had mice in our old place where two of our birds were bitten. one died.
i put out all kinds of traps, but they don't catch them all, and even one mouse is too many. i think mice covet feathers n the nest contents for their own nesting n bedding. bambi was on a jute n cotton nest with 4 eggs. her mate tesla's tail is also a little shreaded. he screams n wakes us. now that there's at least one testimony that peppermint oil has successfully been used for pest control around birds, i cant wait til mine gets here in the mail.

Last edited:

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
did you apply more than one treatment?
how many n how long was the smell strong?
i'll be maintaining that scent til the mice leave. any thought welcome, please

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
we live next to a dairy farm and every year in the fall we get one or two...the most effective thing yet is traps with snickers bars in them or a piece of meat but i found that mice love chocolate bars...I set traps before and caught n othing then a lady at work told me to use a bit of chocolate bar with nuts in it...worked like a charm...as for the mice and the peppermint oil..seal off any opening or wholes with cotton balls soaked in the oil..then over top of that use steal wool so they cant chew through.

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
i've got traps everywhere- safe-size electronic, n live traps. i've had twenty snaptrap before but to hard to spring n load nightly for safety. my birds are out except at night.
living in a tour bus n it's impossible to seal holes/vents/gas n brake peddle etc...
i've found many testimonials about mice leaving the house because of this application online. n your's is the only actual experience with birds n peppermint oil, good or bad that i've found online or anywhere. i'm sorry if i'm a pest- i just don't wanna screw up. i'm desperate to rid them of mice. how long did/can your birds have to endure the smell?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This is what I found. There's conflicting info. Most of what I read said it is not safe around birds because it can cause upper respiratory distress while other sources say it's safe in low doses..

MICE
From The Buggy Professor's "CLUB THE BUGS & SCARE THE CRITTERS"
by Dr. Myles H. Bader

Rodents, and especially mice, are allergic to OIL OF PEPPERMINT and will not frequent areas where they can smell it. Place ONLY A FEW DROPS of oil of peppermint on a piece of cotton and place it where there is a mouse problem. Use only the "real" oil of peppermint -- NOT peppermint extract -- for best results.

Land of Vos - Safe and Natural Pest Control (May/June 1999)

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I used real oil of peppermint straight on the window sills..dear god, I didnt know it could cause respiratory illness...ohmygod guess I am lucky as Sam went on the sill right after...she was fine..holy ....that was well over a year ago we havent had an ant since

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
According to my vet peppermint oil was a no no around birds. If you are going to use it I would suggest placing the bird in another room.

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
update
after study n prayer, i tried peppermint oil on a cotten ball or two- put them in snack size plastic containers to seal away during the day, and opened on the floor of the 8x10 aviary at night. a mouse stole one of the cotton balls n added it to it's nest. it didn't work at all. maybe some mice don't like it, but mine aren't bothered by it at all. or maybe 1-2 drops per ball as directed by folks who swear by it is not enough, but that was all i was willing to use around my birds. i was really fretting. i'm almost releved, yet totally disappointed as well.
thanks everybody for your input.
w/luv4allbeings
mary

Status
Not open for further replies.