• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Penny's New Adventure...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Nice day to take her outside for some "fresh" air.
She is really exquisite.

:sunflower:

Thanks!!!

Was really nice about a perfect 70!!! Not too hot & she had sun & filtered sun/ shade available in the cage. I guess we stayed out about half hour.

Beautiful colors in the sun!!
:marlenesmile:

It is so easy to see how much you love her and how much she looks to you.
A baby can really bond to you but I am really lucky that Penny does seem to meld with me...
Maybe my voice?

I went out to the corner grocery to get some sushi for lunch & came back & Penny was on her flagstone!

I did not sleep well last night so I took a nap about 6pm & woke around 9pm...:faint:

Got up a bit groggy & in my red nightshirt. I was a bit concerned about the red as I usually wear black but she was fine.

Was not sure if I should take Penny out for a little while but I did.
She stepped up nicely onto my hand from inside her cage & I placed her on the playtop where she hung out. Took out todays paper. She munched on a few corn chip slivers for about an hour & then went back inside her cage where she found an almond waiting on her flagstone & cottonwood. I was really happy about as I was tired too.

:goodnight2:

Thanks Everyone!

:smileflower:

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
We had a pretty good day. Penny discovered bake sweet potato wedges.
Had some org tart cherry juice & some organic buckwheat soba in addition to her regular menu..LOL.

:loveshower:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny has a King alum carrier on order & we have been doing very well.

Penny slept on her flagstone last night so cute!!!

I made a new batch of corn muffins (buttermilk, eggs, honey, coconut oil with walnuts & cranberry & made 2 birdy corn muffins with added pellets (roudy bush & tops) soaked in tart cherry juice.

birdy corn P1030831.jpg

There a hit!!!

Penny ate every morsel...
Even Rio ate it & he hates everything!!!

Yummy but now I only have 4 as I made 2 birdy but its a good way to give them there vit rich pellets. Next time some harrisons power treats in it.

:fairy2:

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny still most of the time spends the night on her flagstone.

Kings carrier should be here Friday...well thats the good news
Bad news is they only send Fed EX....:crycry2::nervous::backout: Hope it makes it OK!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny sleeps on her flagstone. So cute!!!

Penny had 2 small morsels of NZ grass fed lamb last night...Gosh that lamb was heavenly & Penny liked it too!

Today heard the splish splash of Penny taking a bath so had to take a vid...

Her crest has some nasty long pinny's & shes a bit bald when soaked but hopefully when we are on scritching terms we can take care of those things!

Penny all purdy clean after her bath!

after bath may 24 P1030835.jpg

Kings small carrier should be here tomorrow...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Kings small travel cage is here...

First pita...I opened the box inside & saw a flying insect so thought a fly had gotten in. Penny saw it to & it went on the wall...It was a moth & I smashed it & it fell in bzath water on bottom of cage.

Then I see one crawling inside the box!!! Then another so scramble to get the box back out & had to kill least half dozen moths that hitchhiked from Jersey Kings warehouse!!! Dirty!!!!! Cage box inside seemed to be ok but the outer box they shipped it in must have been laying around with moths or there warehouse is infested!!!!

:omg::depressed::wtf:

Could have had the cage set up by now if I had not had to play ninja warrior with Kings moths!!!!

Carrer box says made in china but the parts are each in a plastic bag & was shipped in styrofaom & looks to be in good condition...now to assemble.

Once you figure it out which took about 15 min but in general if you know what you are doing it you can get it together in 5 minutes...Not bad design & oieces fit together retty well.

Toss the feet inserts they are flimsy plastic with poor surface contact!!! Garbage but not needed.

Wish the tray did not rattle but least they have a guard to stop it from sliding out. Tray is the weakspot but cage is very solid otherwise!

It should last a lifetime & that's hard to find!

I'm glad I got the tiny...its fine for a carrier has a perch on the handle too! Not bad weight but feels a bit over 10 lbs so not like a plastic carrier but quite superior.
kings tiny P1030846.jpg

Used a 8 inch mulberry perch w ss hardware. The perch was a decent size dowel but natural is better

Now to get her used to it so we can get some sun without wheeling a 100 plus lb cage outside!

:fairy2:

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you received it and you like it. Too bad about the moths. You should let them know. Is the tray a bit warped so it doesn't lie flat? If that's the case then that is something else you might want to contact them about.
Make sure you thoroughly clean the carrier. Steam clean, disinfect, etc.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yeah, guess I should use least f10.

Tray sits in a track & its no an exact fit so it can move up & down is held on bottom. There was a scratch on tray handle but don;t think its warped. Everything else was ok.

I thought the handle smelled a bit like mice urine...It was inplastic & the plastic did not smell but wth????

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mice urine...that's weird.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Mice urine...that's weird.

That's what it smelled like but the plastic it was wrapped in did not so maybe the perch had a mouse pee on it??? China is bad but would not expect to get Jersey moths hitchhiking in the kings box!!! Nasty!!!!

Think only onemoth got inthe apt & killed that one. A few were dead but there were some crawling & I smashed them outside...Arrghhhh...They were moths...like those pantry moths...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's what it smelled like but the plastic it was wrapped in did not so maybe the perch had a mouse pee on it??? China is bad but would not expect to get Jersey moths hitchhiking in the kings box!!! Nasty!!!!

Think only onemoth got inthe apt & killed that one. A few were dead but there were some crawling & I smashed them outside...Arrghhhh...They were moths...like those pantry moths...

Definitely call them and share your concerns: the tray, the moths and the smell.

Can you replace the perch?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Definitely call them and share your concerns: the tray, the moths and the smell.

Can you replace the perch?

Have to look at it as its attache to the aluminum bar but has some plastic guard pieces so can't bake it. I should soak it in f10 though. I was not super concerned but I guess I should be careful as who knows what could be in it if it is mice urine & that's what it smelled like!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
F 10'd the kings carrier...Guess I'll have to get Penny ok with it as don;t want to step her up & put her in it as it could make that a negative experience.

Thru out the outer kings shipping box that I had outside & moths were still alive!!!!

Gosh darn it took me about 2 years to almost be rid of when a few got loose!!! These are darker moths mine more blonde...

I will complain!!!!

Penny just had a few small morsels of hamburger...grass fed angus on a bed of greens & she is making yum yum sounds of elated joy!!! So cute!!!

Got a vid of Pennys loud smoke alarm sort of call...luckily its not used too much or they'd think I burn alot of toast! She's been doing alot of exercize fluttering her wings.

I caught a few seconds of a regurgitating sort of motion but don;t think much comes up unless she swallows it...:eek: It is that time of year but have to keep an eye on that...

Maybe will repost when it loads as its been almost 2 hrs!!!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is loud. I have a few birds that imitate the smoke detector, too. She is so cute. Does she generally stay on her cage?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She was great yesterday & stayed on the cage. I have not taken her out in a few days as she did not want to step up but I let her come out herself yesterday. First owner said they only took her out of the cage not allow her out by herself to limit cage aggression or aggression in general.
Seems to have worked as she is sweet.

She has in the past gone on teh floor & I have been able to get her on a perch & back.

Yesterday she flew off but she crawled back up to the cage on her own.

She was great...I stood with her for about 1 1/2 hrs then I went further & further watching waht she would do. I kept peeking in on her from around my desk & she was on the playtop.

She stayed on the cage for a few hours then she finally went back in her cage by herself at after 7 pm so I considered that great.

So she was out a few hours...we'll keep taking it slow & easy...
:fairy2::loveshower::bliss::chipmunks:

Yes, she can be very loud but she is a pretty big bird. Luckily she mostly chirps softer than Rio!!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I caught a few seconds of a regurgitating sort of motion but don;t think much comes up unless she swallows it...:eek: It is that time of year but have to keep an eye on that...

39 to 45 sec, 50 to 60 & alot of beaking around 3 min & bobbing at 4:35 Last 20 seconds

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Today she stepped up onto my hand offered in her cage!!!So gentle...I lifted her to the playtop & she got off!!!

Wow, that's good enough for me...short & sweet.

Gave her a few treats & decided to go into the living room.

I then stayed for a while & then she flew into the middle of the livingroom a good 16 feet!

I went back to the hallway to take the opportunity to change her papers & she followed me.

Then she climbed back up her cage with my encouragement to the top playtop where she got her fav organic blue corn meal amaranth/quinoa sprouted chip piece!!!!

She hung out a while & then went back into her cage by herself...

:omg::faint::heart::heart::heart:

Today her treat for breakfast was some scrambled egg. Yesterday gras fed angus hamburger morsel & she went tummy yumm yumm in Hawkheadinese!!!

I am just in luv with her.:fairy2:

chip may 27 P1030850.jpg

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's amazing how quickly she has adjusted to a new home. She sounds like she has a very mellow and laid back personality.
Has Rio seen her?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
It's amazing how quickly she has adjusted to a new home. She sounds like she has a very mellow and laid back personality.
Has Rio seen her?
Rio can see her a bit from a far but I have a partition put up.

Today he saw her as she flew into the living room & landed 8 feet from his cage. Did not ever think she could fly that far clipped but had to be least 16 feet.

I walkedback into the hallway by her cage & luckily she followed me or else I would have had to use a perch. She was great...followed me...I changed her papers & then she climbed back up on her cage!!!! She is mellow & has a steady clam personality. Trying to keep her like that but I am more hi strung/nervous & trying not for her to feel it.

That's why err on cautious side & have not stepped her up for a few days as I got the feeling she was not so into it.

Today I was calm & I offered my hand & happily she gently stepped up so I lifted her out of the cage & up to the playtop...That's enough of a milestone for me...easy baby steps are better than running blindly & falling over a cliff. She even went back in the cage when she wanted to....phew!

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Tuesday was Pennys first month anniversary! It sort of slid by unnoticed with the first day after the Memorial weekend but we had a great day! she stepped up & even flew into the LR...She was great & went back to the cagetop & finally back into the cage all by herself...She is a dream & she loves the vacuum!

Finally Walmart is going to send her calculator rolls. I think they were trying to stall as I got them at a price error...100 rolls of fun!\

She took a bath tonight when I took the opportunity to do a little vac by the cage.
She dove head first into the bowl & was soaked. Gosh she looked scary! No pics wee taken to protect the innocent...LOL

Shes up drying & we are both waiting for the NZ grassfed lamb chops to finish cooking.

I went out & watered the plumeria babies & trimmed the rosemary & oregano so now there are fresh herb springs to chew on....

I hope she has enjoyed her first month with her ice water & everything she loves!

:heart: