• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pennys First Vet Visit. HELP

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
OK, nervous about getting her in a carrier.

Decided to use well hope the small cat carrier type.

Not sure yet how to get her in it.

Will try putting in a treat but will probably have to towels her.

Any advice on how to do it???

Never did it with such a big bird..

Thanks

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hope Penny has a good checkup and that you calm down a little yourself. She will be fine.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have fun!

Take along a sheet or towel.... something to hide her from others so she isn't scared.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Have a towel over cage. Its heavy n im hot n exhausted but on 2nd bus which gets vc close n hoping we make 3rd bus as it runs ev hr. It will be. Close.
Had about half hr to get her in carrier eo it was stressful! So far so good. Hope the vet is good n evthing is ok

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Good luck! I hope Penny has a great visit at the vet :)

For the future, I usually have the carriers within seeing distance of my birds' cages for a few days before I have to have them inside. It becomes furniture for them and they will even play on top of them, and I have an easier time getting them to go inside when its time.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that she went into the carrier. I would assume she has been in carriers before.
Hope your journey to the vet and back home is a safe one and that all goes well at the vet's office.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hope your first visit with her goes well, sounds like she is an expert with the carrier.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Went ok. On the main bus on the way home. Got bloodwork n fecal. No parasites n results of lab back tues. Free visit n all we under $200 not bad. Physical all well. Heart.lungs throat nasal. Penny weighs 257 g

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I liked the vet & I guess she knows avian as she is av certified but the vet assistant really did not know how to handle birds or Penny was too quick for her as she seemed to say she never had trouble but she got in trouble.

Penny fell off the exam table well luckily glided down as she tried to get her in a weigh box. Then she threw a towel over her head twice as she was on the floor & she escaped 2 times. so I got a perch from her carrier & she stepped up & I put her on the box thing but she would not go in.
She tried again & stepped Penny up but Penny got on her shoulder & behind her head so it was a bit scary as I did not want her to get bit. I tried to get her off her with the perch & I think she finally stepped up w the assistant who tried to get her again in this box but Penny would not have it so I stepped her up on the perch & put her on the scale & she stayed...LOL

Then we had to get her in the box for the vet & we used my treat & she got in!

Phew

Still I did not want her stressed certainly did not want her to fall off the table...

So nothing bad happened but it did not go smoothly.

The vet got the towel in over the exam box & toweled Penny & she was screaming & not happy.

The vet calmed her a bit.

she checked both wings her feet, heart. lungs, throat, nasal...

Said she looked fine & throat was nice & pink with no inflammation.

We agreed on a fecal & bloodwork to get a baseline & since Penny was well the exam was considered a first free well exam & it came to $193.

Not sure exactly what kind of bloodwork but the fecal was $25 for a visual floatation (very reasonable) & rest for bloodwork so very fair price.

They took her in the back to take blood & I could hear her screaming but she did that the first time the vet towelled her.

Assistant said blood draw went well & they don;t use anesthesia for that.

Coming home more relaxed as I did not have to rush to make connections to get anywhere on time.

My arm is killing me as the cage & towel & Penny really was heavy to carry for blocks!

I had the towel over the cage & she was mostly quiet in the buses. Took it off for a short while outside so she could get a little sun but had to be careful as it was about 90...

OOOOhhhh I'm beat.

She had her ice water &
I'm sipping a diet coke....

Well its over & needed to be done & hopefully her blood looks ok...

Phew!!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good luck! I hope Penny has a great visit at the vet :)

For the future, I usually have the carriers within seeing distance of my birds' cages for a few days before I have to have them inside. It becomes furniture for them and they will even play on top of them, and I have an easier time getting them to go inside when its time.

On top of that. I have had the carrier right next to her cage since I got it 2 or 3 weeks ago. Just never had a chance in the last week to try to get her in it. Have had it open with her fav things tempting her but she never took the bait til today. Lucky!

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Glad the visit went ok! Bowser goes to the vet in a big dog kennel and he was taught to walk in for some mash.

Sounds like the tech was just inexperienced. My vet has a tech that I swear is magic lol. He can calm bowser down in seconds but anyone else tries and bowser attacks. I think they just gain experience and get better in time.

And good job to both of you! :highfive:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They all were like Hawk Headed...whats that which I expected but the vet tech looked it up. She said they are a species all to themselves. I said possibly closely related to a caique & she never heard of them. I tried to describe but no.

She just has seen toos & african greys & I suppose tiels & budgies.

I just did not want unnecessarily stressed or hurt.

They all loved her though. she was whistling & laughing in the waiting room!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Reading different ideas of av weight. I guess its anywhere from 200 to 300 grams.

I think females are smaller than males.

She was 257 g & I did not feed her much in the AM as I wanted her hungry so she would get into the carrier for her treats so she was probably on the light side a few grams.

Vet did not say she was underweight or anything & thought she was about right.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well it was a long hot day & I still have a adrenaline rush & Boy do I have muscle burn in my arms & back. Been a few years since I was at the gym & doing the circuits.

I guess I should have looked into uber & spent $30/$40 but I'm a diehard "
penny" pinching saver & had to pay a vet bill!

Still so glad this day is over!!!!

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can't fathom riding buses with my birds in carriers. ...... I get stressed to the max by a car ride!

Glad she's okay.