• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
I ordered harrisons pellets and right when they arrived i offered a handful to pixel, i was delighted when she started munching on them, But since then I've had a hard time getting her to eat them, whats the proper way to convert a birdie to pellets?

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Grind them up then add water, or grind them up and sprinkle them on top of seed.

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@AvianCrew I've actually tried that, i ground it up with water & mixed in some seed, but I'm not really sure how much she ate of it. whats the best way to tell if she's actually eating it?

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
@AvianCrew I've actually tried that, i ground it up with water & mixed in some seed, but I'm not really sure how much she ate of it. whats the best way to tell if she's actually eating it?
Weigh your linnie before every meal and every time you think she eats. Birds eat in the early morning and late afternoon.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
You could also try adding a little cinnamon or honey as well to ground up pellets with seeds, then slowly cut back until honey/cinnamon is gone :)

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
How are you offering the pellets and the seeds? If you're offering too much food she doesn't have to make the choice to eat the healthy stuff over the not so healthy stuff.

I found that spot likes to hold his food, I feed him roudybush small. I tried the harrison's fine and other smaller pellets and he would eat them but definitely not as consistently as the larger pellets he can hold while he's eating

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@Milo Ive tried bigger pellets but not much luck, Im offering pellets in a cup thats up right by her favorite perch & seeds every morning & every evening (just enough for her to eat it all in one sitting) and she gets her chop in the mid day, Ill try some more different types of pellets too!

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Yep yep :) not too much, but just a little to give the pellets.. a flavor they might prefer, you can also use fresh squeezed orange or apple juice to mix in instead of water :) Tiki enjoys Tropican life time formula by Hari

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@Ocean thank you! Ill try with apple juice since she likes that, i tried giving her orange juice once and she shook her head all around & has not gone near it since!

BeeBop

There are many ways to convert as the others have mentioned :) your biggest factor is... patience! ;)

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@BeeBop things have actually been going really well recently! I've been giving her seeds in the morning & evening (Only enough to eat in one sitting) With pellets mixed it, Also she has a cup right up by her favorite perch full of pellets, During the middle of the day when there is no seeds she also gets some sort of fruit/vegetable/mash/chop, I've seen her taking bites of the pellets every now and then!

BeeBop

Oh, I'm glad you are trying mash! I love mash :D I have an instagram (I think you can view it without having an account) that I post recipies on if you would like some. My username is @parakeet.kitchen :)

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@BeeBop Oh i think I've seen you around before! My instagram is @Lineolatedparakeet (Also my main account @superkittenkit)

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I feel the urge to add that ceylon cinnamon should be used as well as pasteurized honey if you go that route. There's a legitimate reason infants and many animals aren't supposed to consume honey, botulism is still a very relevant concern.
:)

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@MandaExotics I haven't actually tried honey yet (The reason being the only honey i have is raw which is a Nono) But i have tried sprinkling cinnamon on her pellets - How do i know if its ceylon? It doesn't say anywhere that its ceylon, Should i be worried? This was a couple days ago & She definitely ate some

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
@MandaExotics I haven't actually tried honey yet (The reason being the only honey i have is raw which is a Nono) But i have tried sprinkling cinnamon on her pellets - How do i know if its ceylon? It doesn't say anywhere that its ceylon, Should i be worried? This was a couple days ago & She definitely ate some
If it's ceylon cinnamon it'll say it on the bottle :) I wouldn't stress it just get some next time you shop.