1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets funny ?

Discussion in 'Macaw Motorway' started by lexalayne, 12/4/18.

1. lexalayne

lexalayne Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Alexa
    Do any of you have birds whom you feed colored pellets to leave one color consistently, refusing to eat a certain color? I feed my birds zupreem fruit pellets and I have one who refuses to eat the orange pellets and I used to have B&G who refused to eat the purple ones. I’ve tried them and they all taste the same to me .. and my daughter also. I’m just wondering how common this is.

Eloy, CrazyBirdChick and faislaq like this.
  2. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

I think there are a lot of birds here who pick out only certain colors. I can not think of who but I do remember reading about many of them who will leave certain colors or eat certain colors first. I can not believe you tasted them lol.....I need to know what you thought of the flavor? They smell so horrible I think I would be scared to try them on purpose. Hehe Burt once shook his head and a chunk of pellet landed in my mouth, I think it was expelled before it had even hit my tongue and I learnt to keep my mouth shut when he is eating because he likes to try and make me share some of what he has sometimes.

faislaq, JaclynBin and lexalayne like this.
  3. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Karen
    I just realized that Puffin only eats the yellow, banana-shaped ones. She wasn't eating pellets at all when she came to us, so I'm happy enough. Hoping it's just a start. I wish you could order the colors separately like you can buy M&Ms and Runts by color in those over-priced candy stores in the mall.

@Mizzely has done some pretty extensive pellet research & I think the fruity Zupreem are all the same except for their shape and color.

lexalayne, Mizzely and Shezbug like this.
  4. lexalayne

Alexa
    [QUOTE="Shezbug, post: 2954152, member: 26516" . I can not believe you tasted them lol.....I need to know what you thought of the flavor? They smell so horrible I think I would be scared to try them on purpose. . [/QUOTE]

LOL !! Right ?? When we adopted our B&G from Irena Schulz she had told us “Don’t be afraid to taste whatever u feed him” and my daughter who was 4 at the time took her literally ! He wasn’t eating the purple ones so she tasted them and said Mom they’re all the same taste ! And with the insistence of a four year old she had me taste them too. They taste like chalky fruit and they all taste like chalky fruit. Just makes me wonder if they have an aversion to certain colors or if they have a heightened sense of taste like they have a heightened sense of sight. If they have an aversion to certain colors I wonder if it’s individulaized ? Because he wouldn’t eat the purple ones and my Camelot won’t eat the orange ones. And they’re both different shapes too.

faislaq and Shezbug like this.
  5. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    Yes, they are all the same, (even taste tested lol)

Ripley goes through phases. He used to love the purple and orangfe, now he leaves those behind. Next week I'm sure he'll be on something else lol

lexalayne, faislaq and Shezbug like this.
  6. Big Blues

Big Blues Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

I haven’t fed colored pellets but a couple of my guys are picky about the natural pellets shapes; will only eat one shape so at breakfast I sort out the pellets rather than throw them away before dinner. :(

lexalayne, faislaq and Shezbug like this.
  7. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

I messed up when I ordered my last pellets, I got the wrong size. I usually get the small ones as I have found there is less wasted when I use the small ones, the big ones get bitten in half......half for Burt half for the floor. He has found that the big pellets are much easier to feed (nice way to say throw at) the dog. The little stinker gets a pellet and piffs it out of the cage at the dog who then eats them, the dog is farting bad and Burt is not eating as many pellets as he should be....grrr I have made a mental note to make sure I always order the smaller pellets!!

8. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    Funny thing.... Ripley won't eat the orange pellets from the stainless steel bowl in the food door, but eats them just fine out of the ceramic bowl by the window :lol:

9. lexalayne

Alexa

I’ll try that !! That’s funny !

Shezbug and faislaq like this.
  10. lexalayne

Alexa

Lol I was mixing their food and of course I spill some of the pellets and our husky gobbles them ASAP ... now she has diarrhea... ewe ... she’s also the one who loves pistachios and has figured out how to crack them and only eat the nuts.

11. lexalayne

Alexa

I like the natural ones too they aren’t as well received as the fruit but they work. I don’t remember if mine picked out certain shapes tho. I like to mix a in a bag of Harrison’s too ... and those are either loved or hated by my flock. And it changes lol ! They’re expensive and I find myself retrieving them off the floor often !

12. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    Are you sure you have food home? Where you hungry?What was your parrot's reaction to that?
    :wacky::roflmao:

I do the same. I did also test all my horses food and vitamins too. And if it tastes like sh*t I understand if they wasn't eating it.
    Food for grass and seed eaters often taste good, but horses food can bee to sweet.

lexalayne, Shezbug and faislaq like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)