• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet Storage -- Plastic Containers Unsafe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowboardracer

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
I store my Roudybush and Harrison's in the freezer after opening in their original bags and started looking at some plastic container options for easier storage in the freezer. I noticed that the back of the Harrison's bag says:

"Keep food in original bag. Do not repackage into plastic bags or containers." :confused:Can anyone explain why? I've been looking at OXO and other types of air-tight containers but don't want to compromise the freshness of the pellets.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I keep mine in the original bag.

If the original bag happens to break I place the Harrison in dark Tupperware Brand containers. Those are completely airtight.:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use those ceramic jars with the metal latch. Airtight and dark to preserve light sensitive vitamins.

The main reason I think they recommend that is people don't take into consideration the light aspect, which degrades some vitamins faster, and can cause nutritional deficiencies if people are not aware.

Feather Mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gretchen
I keep my Harrison's in the original bag, but then put that into a plastic storage container in the freezer. I keep a week's worth in a small plastic container in the fridge.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I'm assuming that only applies to pellets sold in solid-colored bags...harrisons, TOPS..etc.

Zupreem and some other pellet brands come in a solid bag, but it has a viewing window on the front. I store the Zupreem in a solid-colored plastic container with a screw-on lid.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Harrisons in this home kept in original bag also. I usually stick to the manufactures instructions.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I keep it in the original bag but put the sealed bag into a hard plastic storage container to protect against insects and birdy beaks who may find the bag and decide to help themselves.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I like vittle vaults. They're food grade BPA free plastic. They seal really well and are relatively easy to open and close.

snowboardracer

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
Thanks everyone! I never thought of the light aspect degrading the vitamins. I will keep them in their original bags for now! :)

friendlyreesy

Sprinting down the street
I am glad you asked that question because I never thought of it either. I will have to look and see what food we have. I know we were told to keep it in the refridge...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
so is light colored tupperware okay for pellets if you keep them stored in a closet?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
if you are keeping them stored in a cool dark place I see no reason why it would hurt or degrade them. I think like someone mentioned above it is the light that will degrade the vitamins specifically UV light. THe vitamins we buy at work are in dark containers and stored in a refrigerator until use.

Status
Not open for further replies.