• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet advice, please...

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am surprised she said tropican is not good, that is one by hari correct? I use a few food blends and tropimix is one, as well as Roudybush, Higgins sunburst or safflower gold and nutriberries. All are blended daily as a mix.
I was surprised too (and yes, it is by Hari) but I noticed she was pushing me higher and higher up in price. I know higher quality can mean higher price but she actually said Tropican was "junk" and Zupreem "far better". Meanwhile my local pet store told me the exact opposite. I always thought they were on par.
Again, I figure don't necessarily
trust the person who stands to make a profit so I asked here.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
I was surprised too (and yes, it is by Hari) but I noticed she was pushing me higher and higher up in price. I know higher quality can mean higher price but she actually said Tropican was "junk" and Zupreem "far better". Meanwhile my local pet store told me the exact opposite. I always thought they were on par.
Again, I figure don't necessarily
trust the person who stands to make a profit so I asked here.

Sounds like she had some motive.

Tropican and Tropimix are not junk, made by HARI-(Hagen Aviculture Research Institute), and I doubt they feed their own birds sub-par food.

The Research Facility - Hari

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Every salesperson will push anyone not currently on pellets to buy pellets. This is good because all birds need the complete and balanced nutrition of pellets. The salesperson will then push the bird owner to purchase the most expensive pellets that person can afford. Which is also good as generally better nutrition is in more expensive pellets, with the best in TOPS and Lafebers. So if you want to have fun with the salesperson, tell them you use one of those two!

To succeed, you feed a great seed mix like Brown's, either Tops or Lafebers pellets, huge amounts of daily fresh veggies and fruits and provide many types of Manu mineral blocks, you can't come even close to properly and adequately feeding your parrot. All you have to do is miss one trace mineral, one vitamin, etc, and your bird could sicken and die. Most of these birds come from far away countries and from dying ecological niches. It is not possible to get a complete, natural diet for your bird/birds from their old environments, even.

And that is why every parrot needs to have a daily pellet in their diet plan the bird will eat. It helps hold off death.

Last edited:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Mineral blocks are something I don't have and both vet and pet store have told me that if they are eating the pellets, I shouldn't need extra supplements. (Again, they are good eaters and eat veggies and fruit daily and grains and lentils etc. - they are constantly eating it seems). I am just worried about Cricket's barbering. The vet has not done a blood panel yet but we go back in April.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A lot of times it has nothing to do with diet, or even environment. Sometimes it's hormonal, or behavioral.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
A lot of times it has nothing to do with diet, or even environment. Sometimes it's hormonal, or behavioral.
He started barbering at around 8 months of age which I believe is quite young. He was over-attached to me and the vet thought it was behavioural so I took Watson in (rehomed him so Cricket could have a friend). They bonded almost immediately and he seemed to stop but has had two episodes in the past year. Otherwise he seems great.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He started barbering at around 8 months of age which I believe is quite young. He was over-attached to me and the vet thought it was behavioural so I took Watson in (rehomed him so Cricket could have a friend). They bonded almost immediately and he seemed to stop but has had two episodes in the past year. Otherwise he seems great.

Allergy maybe?

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
Lotus has had periods of barbering. Lotus does not like bells and toys, he is a chewer. Since I have bought big blocks of balsa wood, the barbering has stopped. He goes to town on the balsa!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If your bird is eating pellets they do not need a mineral block. They are getting what they need from the pellets. There is potential that over supplementation of certain vitamins (A comes to mind) that can cause just as many issues as under supplementing. Switching pellets may not be a bad idea, while brands don't vary vastly, there are different ways that the vitamins and minerals are put into the pellets that can make a difference. For instance, the vitamin A is more bioavailable in Zupreem than it is in Harrisons. Rosco doesn't tolerate the Zupreem but does amazingly well on Harrison's as his primary diet.

Allergies are really, really uncommon in birds. My CAV goes so far as to say he's never seen a true allergic reaction in a bird.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Lotus has had periods of barbering. Lotus does not like bells and toys, he is a chewer. Since I have bought big blocks of balsa wood, the barbering has stopped. He goes to town on the balsa!

Cricket loves coloured Popsicle sticks so I am going to get to work punching holes and stringing some

If your bird is eating pellets they do not need a mineral block. They are getting what they need from the pellets. There is potential that over supplementation of certain vitamins (A comes to mind) that can cause just as many issues as under supplementing. Switching pellets may not be a bad idea, while brands don't vary vastly, there are different ways that the vitamins and minerals are put into the pellets that can make a difference. For instance, the vitamin A is more bioavailable in Zupreem than it is in Harrisons. Rosco doesn't tolerate the Zupreem but does amazingly well on Harrison's as his primary diet.

Allergies are really, really uncommon in birds. My CAV goes so far as to say he's never seen a true allergic reaction in a bird.
Thank you. I have received such mixed advice about mineral blocks but that is what I thought. If he didn't eat practically everything put in front of him, I might worry more about his diet. Hopefully the vet will have some ideas. And we are still waiting for the big molt - he is 20 months but has not had a really noticeable molt yet. Hopefully the red will come back then.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Mineral. Block provides supplemental calcium and phosphorus needed for egg and bone production. My CAV, Linda Stern, recommends providing two sources of calcium and minerals in addition to what is contained within the pellets. Hens need it to prevent soft eggs and egg binding. Breeders need it for bone growth in the chicks they feed.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That is a good point about breeding females, but if the op's birds are both confirmed males that is a moot point. Calcium is also something that you can over supplement. If you don't have a reproductively active female the supplements really aren't necessary.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
A good mineral block is also a beak shaper, a talon blunter and a toy. I often watch my budgies land on those big manu mineral lumps, dig their talons in along the side and then literally strop their beak on the mineral lump, shaving off dust and pieces and having a high old time. Good grief, anything you put in the cage is a potential toy. The tiels do it as well, the Pois, the lovies. When I give Emmie CAG a big one at the beginning of January I know he will destroy it by the end of fall, picking at it and crushing it.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Does he seem to pluck/barber during or after a molt? I'm asking this because you said that there were 2 episodes in the past year. One of my caiques actually plucks some of the pin feathers as they're growing in after a molt. She seems really uncomfortable and agitated around molting. She's on a diet of Harrison's, Green chunks (Phoenix foraging rolls), grain bake, walnuts, and fresh fruits and veggies. I've added a scoop of Featheriffic to her grain bake and it seems to help. She seems to have a big molt about twice a year....I don't think she plucked as much with the last molt. I pay extra attention to her feather condition around molting now....time will tell. She's 3 and a half years old.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
That's the strange thing @rfrank,
I got Cricket in February 2016 and he was 6 months old. He has not really molted yet. His wings (which were clipped) have come in but he hasn't had what would be a noticeable molt