1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peeps pulled off his claw!

Discussion in 'Canary & Finch Court' started by sheeluhwhet, 5/5/18.

1. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Cute canary with attitude...Sad he lost his nail & especially at the vets. They should be more careful.

Hopefully eventually he can grow a nail that the foot will support & not go thru this cycle again & again...Poor Peep.

Eloy and sheeluhwhet like this.
  2. sheeluhwhet

sheeluhwhet Walking the driveway

Gemma
    Thank you!

He's such a hardy and resilient little guy, but it would be great if he didn't have to go through this again. I wish there were more avian vets in my area! :(

3. Shezbug

Shezbug I have a macaw and don't post enough photos

I don't really do anything for him (except encourage him to lay down with a chew bone) as he gets really stressed if his feet get touched then he gets paranoid and starts licking them frantically which causes him more problems than the actual nail ever caused. He is a neurotic whippet. He does rest a lot more than usual for a day or two when it does drop out, I have also noticed he does not run around like a mad man in the yard when the nail first falls out.
    When he first ripped it out he had a lot of trouble walking so he did not use that foot, he was taking anti-inflammatory and pain medication and also had the biggest wad of padding under a bright color bandage to keep him comfortable.....when the medication is not taking all the pain away for a dog, you know it hurts!

I really feel for your poor wee yellow speck of feather cuteness.

sheeluhwhet likes this.
  4. sheeluhwhet

Gemma
    Aw man poor guy... If only we could take tjat pain away--seriously!
    Peeps still moves around but it's always worrying to see him on one leg :(
    I finalltly called the vet today and they scheduled a courtesy check up for him. I hope vet can tell me if theres a way to manage the pain and prevent the risk of infections if this persists.

Also, he is an update on Peeps' foot:

Attached Files:

5. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    He sure has a great life with you. ♥ I love to see people also taking good care of the little birds too.

6. sheeluhwhet

Gemma
    He's family, so I try to do my best in hopes he can have a healthy long life with me

I'm also lucky to have found you guys because I can see you also take good care of your birds. Honestly, I'd be lost without without you guys! Thank you :)

7. sheeluhwhet

Gemma
    A quick update on the Peep!
    I took him to the vet for the courtesy check up, and thw vet told me that he is healthy. I was told to simply keep watch on his foot and contact them asap if I notice anything odd.

Overall, it appears that Peeps is doing well! He's not picking on his foot, and I haven't seen him favor any foot either. :)
    Snapchat-1601644722.jpg Snapchat-2003204309.jpg Snapchat-830131751.jpg Snapchat-1581459141.jpg

8. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    He is so cute! ♥♥♥
    And I'm so happy that he is fine again.:)

sheeluhwhet likes this.
  9. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Canaries are cute little birds with major tude...& there song is nice too!

Glad his foot does not seem to be bothering him & nice of the vet to check him as they did injure him...

Moldybread and sheeluhwhet like this.
  10. sheeluhwhet

Gemma

:bliss:
    Peeps says hi lol
    His middle toe isn't showing signs of nail growth which I think is for the better. He needs to get his other nails cut though!

11. Eloy

J.T
    I think I'm in love with Peeps! ♥

12. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

He's a beautiful canary and it's great that he is doing well.

sheeluhwhet and camelotshadow like this.
  13. sheeluhwhet

Gemma
    Awe! :bluhug:
    LOL join the club! :bounce4:

Thank you! :bliss:
    He's a resilient little guy!

Eloy, iamwhoiam and camelotshadow like this.
  14. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Tanya
    He is so beautiful.

My yellow hen is very similar to peeps, except her yellow is more pale. I’ll see if have a good picture.

Eloy and sheeluhwhet like this.
  15. sheeluhwhet

Gemma
    Please! Id love to see a picture of her! :D
    And thank you :bluhug:

Eloy likes this.
  16. greys4u

greys4u Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

3rd pic up top where he is looking at you, 'okay mom, you ready, here I come!!'

Eloy and finchly like this.
  17. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Tanya
    For your viewing pleasure........

First up is a nameless hen, hatched in October.

IMG_9863.jpg

IMG_9865.jpg

(all yellow except the dark around her eye....her "black eye")

Next are the 4 hatchlings. I only see one that has the crest (Corona). The others with no crest are called consort. You can tell at this age because the consorts have fuzz sticking out on both sides like a clown. IMG_9867.jpg

ETA the little hen is soooo lonely, and she hasn't taken up with a finch or anything. She flew loose in the aviary for weeks. I finally let her in with the parents and their babies.... so far there's been no bickering whatsoever. The parents take care of the babies and she happily hangs out with them.

sheeluhwhet, Eloy and iamwhoiam like this.
  18. sheeluhwhet

Gemma
    Believe it or not he actually flew up my phone moments after I snapped that photo. :laughin:He likes pecking on the screen lol

They are both so pretty! I wonder theyre bigger than Peeps? Lol Any ideas on what to name hen #1? They both have such a gentle look in their eyes. :heart:

Wow the babies' must be growing fast! I hope you post an update on the babies! Id love to see them again all grown up :D

It sounds like you have a happy family, that's awesome!!! :ycanary:

Eloy and finchly like this.
  19. finchly

Tanya
    I think that Glosters are a larger size canary, but I am not sure as they're the only ones I've ever had!

I have no clue what to call the hen. There is just one hen, I showed 2 pics of her. She is very sweet. She chirps a lot and will fly all around, perch right in front of my face, etc. She hasn't landed on me yet.

The finches all have music names but not the canaries, her parents are Robin and Mama. Ideas??

20. sheeluhwhet

Gemma
    Oh woops! My mistake lol
    She is lovely and sounds so sweet!!! :heart: I bet she'll be perching on you in no time! I love the feeling of little bird feet running on me--the only risk is poop lol

The first thing that came to mind was Patch because of the patch of dark feathers around her right eye. Or Madeleine? Lemon Drop?? Or Sherbet Lemon....?? Fawkes??? :coffeescreen:

Glosters have the coolest hair lol

finchly likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)