• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peeling feet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dad Conure

Moving in
Real Name
Troy
My son has a young yellow naped amazon she's about 1 1/2, her feet have always looked dry but never seemed to bother her. Recently her feet have started to peel and there's a little scab on the side of one of her feet, the skin that appears "new" is in good shape and she's not picking at her feet at all, she only appears to be peeling off the dead skin. There arent any blisters or anything abnormal on her feet. The only thing we can figure is the low humidity in the house.. roughly 15-25% oh and on a side note, she is starting to get her "adult" plumage.. she's finaly starting to get the yellow in on the nape of her neck.

edit- her feet are also very, dry

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What kind of diet is she on?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had that problem with my CAG and an older red lored. I started using a hummidfier, misting with aloe water mix on the legs and giving red palm oil. They both healed up fine.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
My son has a young yellow naped amazon she's about 1 1/2, her feet have always looked dry but never seemed to bother her. Recently her feet have started to peel and there's a little scab on the side of one of her feet, the skin that appears "new" is in good shape and she's not picking at her feet at all, she only appears to be peeling off the dead skin. There arent any blisters or anything abnormal on her feet. The only thing we can figure is the low humidity in the house.. roughly 15-25% oh and on a side note, she is starting to get her "adult" plumage.. she's finaly starting to get the yellow in on the nape of her neck.

edit- her feet are also very, dry
Our Yellow Nape (and our other 5 parrots) all get organic coconut oil once/week or so.
Have never had a dry skin issue, or dry feet.
We add it to bird breads, smeared on organic grain breads, and on warm spagetti squash.
Our Green Wing macaw likes to just eat it from a spoon. Their feathers just glow - and I believe the oil is partly responsible for that.
Lots of warm mistings helps, if low humidity is a factor.

Dad Conure

Moving in
Real Name
Troy
What kind of diet is she on?
Zupreem and fresh veggies. I suggested the power treats or the red palm fruit oil to him. I was wondering if it would be okay to rub a little of the red palm fruit oil onto the feet or if that would cause his amazon to want to chew on her feet? I was looking for some immediate benefit.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
There was an article on this in Parrots mag (the British one) and the people found out that their bird was Vit A deficient and overweight. Maybe you could check what your amazon is supposed to weigh and increase the Vit A foods in her diet, or even start giving her a suppliment with Vit A in it.
Vit A foods, sweet potato, carrot, red and green capsicum (peppers) and lots more, most of the red vegies.

jylu97

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Liz
Tori, my YNA, has had a slice of sweet potato every morning even though she has never tested postitive for vitamin A deficiency. She, too, has had problems with dry feet and she will pick at her feet even with the daily sweet potato. I've also tried a humidifier, but the only thing that works is red palm oil. I giver her a drop or two a week along with a drop of flax seed oil. Zons also need omegas.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
There's a number of articles online about amazon foot necrosis. Since you mentioned a scab, you might start with reading this one. (and Never put anything onto an open wound)
Just one more thing to consider in thinking about the condition:
Amazon Foot Necrosis

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
We keep several Amazons and I concur with the advice you have received so far. I am located in S. Florida and so humidity is seemingly always present here. I would think the humidity levels you are describing are too low for the Nape's comfort. I recommend including a high beta carotene food source to the Nape's daily diet -- include fresh carrots, sweet potatoes (bake until soft and feed warm), winter squash (I steam ours), mango's, etc. I use the water from the winter squash I steam to cook pasta and feed the pasta to the Amazons. Make sure to not over-cook the pasta as birds don't like it too soft. I highly recommend feeding a fresh hot pepper every day to the Nape as well if you can.

With regard to the sore or scab on the Nape's foot or feet, I would take another look at the perches the Nape uses. Make sure that they are a comfortable perch and remove any concrete perches (if there are any) until the bird's foot condition is restored.

I hope this helps....

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
How about if you rub aloe vera on them or spray on them:)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
All our birds eat red palm oil on a finger of toast each day, if they do not need it they throw it back at me! With the fresh food and a variety plus different sized perches for foot therapy available to them, they keep good so far, touch wood. Good luck.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
While the diet changes and supplements are getting into her system I would recommend that you apply the HealX Soother Plus Cream on her feet;

LINK: Harrison's Wellness Products

This is a product that I think should be in everybirdie's emergency bag. The Soother Spray works well also.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Can you get a picture of the foot with the scab? One of my zons, Bahama, has a area of thickening on the bottom of one of his feet so. I am monitoring it at the vet's advise and applying pure aloe gel to it (I get the gel at Trader Joes with is the same the vet has in his office). I see his feet have been looking better with the aloe. The feet do bear keeping an eye on with our feathered friends because they spend so much time on them and a variety texture/width perches can do much to relieve the pressure on the feet. Has your son taken the bird to the vet for a check up recently and had the feet looked at?

Status
Not open for further replies.