• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peanut scare

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Read on another online site that a woman's husband is a truck driver and was told to truck a large order of peanuts to a bird food manufacturer because they were full of mold and not fit for human consumption. IF this is true, that's scary. So glad I don't allow mine any product containing peanuts. Would love to know the company these nuts are being transported to.:eek:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Oh wow! thanks for the heads up. I rarely give peanuts to E. mostly walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans,
almonds and cashews but good to know...:):)

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i have to admit, i dont give mine parrot food containing peanuts. but i wouldnt believe everything i read... especially here on the net. ;)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I think it's disgusting that there is one standard for animals and another for humans. All peanuts are a no-no in this household, too - I don't even buy them for the outdoor birdies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My birds do not get peanuts.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
No peanuts here, not even human grade. My vet said one of the best nuts to offer are almonds, so I always have them on hand. :)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
not even human grade
Remember there is no official standard for "human grade" food. Most people associate that with ingredients used in human products, but it's really just a misleading marketing term.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, I don't feed peanuts, but they are an ingredient in the pellets and Nutriberries I feed (Harrison's and Zupreem pellets). I have wondered if it's possible for asper on the shells to get into the unshelled products.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is not only the live Aspergillosis fungus in peanuts that one needs to worry about. Here is an article about Aflatoxins that are a by product of the fungus infection in peanuts.

Wild Bird Feeding Industry - Aflatoxin in Bird Seed Mixes

Here is a quote from the article;

"Recent posts to birding listserves across North America have raised concerns about the potential harmful effects of feeding birds seeds and grains that may be contaminated with aflatoxin. In response to numerous requests, following are some comments on the issue from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT AFLATOXIN?
- Aflatoxins are produced by fungi that are common and widespread in nature, Aspergillus parasiticus and A. flavus.

-The fungi grow most rapidly in humid environments and can grow on foods stored in damp conditions.

-Corn and peanuts are more likely affected than other foods commonly provided at feeders.

-Research conducted by Dr. Scott Henke of Texas A&M University Kingsville found that 17% of the birdseed samples tested in Texas contained relatively large amounts of the toxin. His research further suggests that feeding wild birds foods contaminated with aflatoxin can be harmful."

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No peanuts here, not even human grade. My vet said one of the best nuts to offer are almonds, so I always have them on hand. :)
Wasn't there an article about how almonds are treated before they are sold? Which kind do you get?

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Well, I don't feed peanuts, but they are an ingredient in the pellets and Nutriberries I feed (Harrison's and Zupreem pellets). I have wondered if it's possible for asper on the shells to get into the unshelled products.
An avian vet tech told me "yes".

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't believe all the nutriberries contain peanuts.