• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peanut is getting "flighty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
:eek: I usually keep Peanut clipped and always refer to him as a clipped bird, but I let the feathers grow out for a little so that I'm not taking him to get clipped every week. Now he is "in between" being clipped and flighted, and he is not the safest or best flyer. A few minutes ago he flew to the floor, so as usual I went into the living room to retrieve him but before I got to him he took off and hit (luckily not very hard at all) the sliding glass doors to our back yard right before I could catch up to him. :eek: He's fine now, but needs some wing maintenence. :D

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Do you want him to be flighted? If so, just take some safety precautions while he's out and he will pick it up very quickly. Covering windows and glass doors while he's out is one of them.

I can say I get a little thrill every time I hear one of my birds "take off". Nothing like that sound....so cool!

hsmoscout

Do you want him to be flighted? If so, just take some safety precautions while he's out and he will pick it up very quickly. Covering windows and glass doors while he's out is one of them.

I can say I get a little thrill every time I hear one of my birds "take off". Nothing like that sound....so cool!
I would love to have Peanut flighted but I just think there are too many dangers in our house. It is cool to see him fly though.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
It's a personal decision each person must make based on their living situation and personal feelings. Sometimes, it's just not safe to allow a bird to be flighted indoors.

It is amazing when they get really good at it. Baby and Razzle are my two best flyers..they swoop and dive and go down hallways and around corners...LOL

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
some tiels are just accident prone. rather they've been fully flighted their entire life or not

but you said you were getting him clipped every week?? was that a typo?

My birds maybe get reclipped once every 3 to 4 months Billy and Gumby's take longer - not sure why but they hardly ever get re clipped in the same year they were originally clipped Maybe its because they're lazy and even though they have some flights grown back still prefer to walk, climb every where

but even my budgies only got clipped a few times a year, because it takes a while for flight feathers to grow in .

hsmoscout

some tiels are just accident prone. rather they've been fully flighted their entire life or not

but you said you were getting him clipped every week?? was that a typo?

My birds maybe get reclipped once every 3 to 4 months Billy and Gumby's take longer - not sure why but they hardly ever get re clipped in the same year they were originally clipped Maybe its because they're lazy and even though they have some flights grown back still prefer to walk, climb every where

but even my budgies only got clipped a few times a year, because it takes a while for flight feathers to grow in .
No I said that I wait to clip him so that I'm NOT clipping him every week, which in itself is a big exageration.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
whew- ok i just read it wrong LOL I was gonna say LORD Peanut must be in the Guinness book of records for the bird with the fastest growing flight feathers :rofl::rofl:

but it's Sunday and my brain is still asleep lol

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Abby is one of those when she is startled, she is so graceful otherwise and she started so skittish that I was worried taking her ability to get away of she felt threatened would do more harm. I just try to keep the place calm and limit the things she might impact during a scare. I can't imagine doing so if I still lived where I used to.

I swear sometimes I wish I had rubber walls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.