• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peachfaced vs black-masked personality

Sue2014

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I would really appreciate some opinions on the general personality differences between the peachfaced and the black-masked lovebirds and some overall advice. Here is my situation: I have a larger parrot who is great but he does not like to be handled much. He allows scritches on his terms and enjoys just hanging out with me but not so much any touching. I am fine with that but I would like to also have a smaller parrot that loves to snuggle and play and hide in your pockets, that sort of thing. More "hands-on". I thought maybe a conure, and while I don't mind the noise, I am hesitant because people say they are very nippy. After reading about lovebirds, I am thinking that may be a good option for me. I definitely want a hand raised baby, and there seem to be more black-masked ones than peachfaced ones around here. I read that the peachfaced were the most docile and friendly, though. What are your thoughts on personality differences? I would only get one since I want him to bond with me (I am home all day so it won't be lonely). Also, should I be sure to get a male? So many people say they are less aggressive, which is important to me, but few DNA test in my area. It is so hard to tell personality with a baby, so I would appreciate generalities of the adults you know. Thank you!!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I had a family of 5 lovebirds. The mom was a peach faced, the dad was a Fischer lovebird. He was an absolute doll, all of his sons had his personality even though they all looked like peach faced. Their mom would play and interact, but absolutely no touching. Ever. She had to be in control of herself. She was very headstrong. My son wanted to give her up but I knew how to handle her so we kept her until she died.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I also knew instantly she was a female. As soon as they met, my Rascal head bobbing and chasing her around. She took over the roost and he let her! The actions she had were very female and yes in lovebirds I think males are friendlier. But dna testing is really the only way to be certain. I could only tell because Rascal was 3 yrs old when Olivia came to us. So we knew him really well. Then at 6 mos old she started laying eggs. None of her babies ever layed an egg...all males. They're 14 now.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
My two boys are Fischer's............and they are pretty sweet. They get along with each other and let me get in and out of their cage to clean and feed without freaking out or getting mad. I've had them for one year now and their personalities have pretty much stayed the same. They are small compared to a Peachface.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
....in case no one could tell...the next lovebirds I get will be Fischers! Lol

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I didn't find much info when I was researching what lovebird I would get but I read that blackmasked were sweet but skittish/timid. I ultimately went with a peach faced, I also wanted to male but I am happy with my little girl. She is super sweet... lets hope it stays that way when she grows up.:heart: All she wants to do is climb in my shirt.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Also, Nancy........mine were siblings/nest mates, so they have never been apart and the two boys work because boys get along better than females do and a male female pair will work, of course, if they are each others choice, but not just because you put a male and a female together. If they are not each others choice and they did not pick each other they very well may not bond and the female can do real damage to the male. I think mostly it's about their individual personalities and how they were raised and socialized (if they were), than their individual species contributes. I just love Lovebirds personalities, I love that they have such big personalities for how small they are.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I meant to address my last post to Sue regarding getting a male vs female. I did have my birds DNA tested while they were still at the breeder, so I could choose two males, which is what I wanted.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Also, Nancy........mine were siblings/nest mates, so they have never been apart and the two boys work because boys get along better than females do and a male female pair will work, of course, if they are each others choice, but not just because you put a male and a female together. If they are not each others choice and they did not pick each other they very well may not bond and the female can do real damage to the male. I think mostly it's about their individual personalities and how they were raised and socialized (if they were), than their individual species contributes. I just love Lovebirds personalities, I love that they have such big personalities for how small they are.
I have found that to be true, boys get along better with boys. My male & female did not choose each other. I just got her to be with him, she was only a few months old and took right to him. We were lucky. I have a cockatoo and not going to take a chance with him! Their babies were beautiful. I have one who is slate blue with lighter tones and a creamy creamsicle colored face. Their looks are more peach faced, their attitudes come from their dad, thank god! The mom was very nasty and wouldn't accept touching. Is this typical of females?

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
There isn't really a personality difference in the different species, there is more of a personality difference in the genders. I would recommend getting a male for a first-time Lovebird owner. Females are great too but more hormonal and territorial. But I do find that females have "more personality" than males; they are energetic and outgoing in my experience.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
This is just dealing with my birds. You have to remember that every bird is different;

My Black Masks; my female bit me once on accident, and my boys are... opposite ends of the spectrum. Freddie Mercury is a very skittish boy and would rather not bite, Krem is bossy and sassy and isn't afraid of biting. My female is very well trained and only bit me once on accident, but they're bigger and I find their beaks do more damage. She was giving me a kiss and accidentally opened a hole in my upper lip. Triss is also very bossy, and unlike the boys, she's not afraid to tell you to back off. She's also a lot more person-oriented than my boys, but that's mainly due to how she was raised, I think. I really do adore her to bits and pieces.
Before learning that she didn't have to constantly defend her cage, she would attack any bird that came near it.

My Fischers and Black Mask/Fischers: They're very docile in comparison to my Personatas. They're also a pain in the butt at bedtime and love hiding. Goku's king of hide-and-go-seek. They're really good at getting into places they shouldn't be and I find that my boys don't really bite. I've had to grab them and scoop them up, and at most they'll wiggle a little before calming down while I pet their heads.

Guzma: He's very bossy compared to my fischers. He lunges and bites and has a huge personality. He tells me off, says 'No' whenever I ask him a question and always shouts at me when I bring the dogs back in after our nightly walk. When I pick him up, he's really like putty in my hand, though. And he's so very soft.
He's also the only lovebird I trust with my tiel. They bonded right away and he's absolutely gentle with his chosen bird. I think if I didn't have Mims when I got him, he'd be my velcro bird. But I don't begrudge them their happiness.

Yen, my Hybrid: I love her, but she's a lot of work. She's easily the bossiest, most in your face bird. She bites more than any other bird and will try to tear chunks out of you. On the other hand, she's my velcro bird and will allow me to hold her upside down in my hand and give her her scritchies. I find that hormone season hits her the hardest out of any of my other birds.
If you find a hybrid you really love, I'd say go for it, but you might have your work cut out for you.

Sue2014

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much for all of your information. It is so great to hear from people who have and understand lovebirds. I've never had a lovebird, but I have always had other birds. I'd love a little bird that is cuddly and snuggly and playful. Lovebirds sound like a good match for our household, I just want to make sure I do a lot of research before I make a decision. Just don't want anything too aggressive and nippy. That's why I've stayed away from Conuers so far, although I love their playful personality. Thanks again for your help. I'll look forward to any other advice you can give me.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Mmm, personally, I'd go for a male lovebird if I were you. My boys generally are less territorial than my girls. My girls will grab and bite anything that's on their cages. It makes cleaning one hell of a hassle.

I love my girls and they're cuddlebugs, but Krem's a big cuddlenugget as well. If you really want a cuddly lovebird, I'd say your best bet is either getting a cuddly adult or getting a young baby, unless you're willing to put in the time and effort to befriend them.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My baby girl is so needy. Its been a pain trying to teach her to step up as all she wants to do is fly to my shoulder, climb down to my shirt collar and force her way in to my shirt while she makes this high pitch piglet squeal.

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Between my two - the most notable difference is their size. I prefer the looks of the black masked, but the personality of the peach faced.

My black masked, Panda, is an incredibly independent, timid little thing. It's taken him well over a year to be comfortable stepping up and flying to me on command without bribery. Trying to cuddle him would be rather difficult, as he is quick to fly away. He is a very gentle bird, and personable on his own hands-free terms, and much more playful and silly.

My peachfaced, Gem, is the boss of my two. She's obsessive and must follow me from room to room, to cling to my shoulder or climb down my shirt. She's interested in everyone and is the ambassador bird for friends who take an interest when they visit. While she's a people bird and would constantly checking in and seeking attention if you had her out all day, she's not one to play by herself very often and is really picky about her toys.

If you're looking for a hands on bird, in my limited experience I would suggest a peach faced. They're more confident little clowns and they're bigger - so there's more to love :p

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I adopted a peace faced who was very neglected. The cage was way to small and she never got out. I have Momo now for 6 months, and she blossomed into such a sweet and curious little bird. Momo is a little territorial, that's why I think it's a 'she'. But I wanted to say that with the time and effort (and you being home all the time makes is so much easier) you could adopt an adult.
Also I have a question. Are you prepared to keep your birds separate? I'm sorry if I overstep since you didn't asked for this, but it might be something to think about.
I also see that this threat was posted a few months ago. So maybe you have an update?

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I feel like I am the only person on the planet with a scared to death fischers. My little guy is so scared of everything and has been that way since he was a baby. We just kinda let him do his thing and we play with him but he is terrified of everything.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
The pour guy! We really won Momo's hart over by sharing our meals, like salads vegan soups and breakfast. Do you do that with your lovie? And does he relaxes a little? How old is he?
Momo also changed a lot when (she came to us clipped) her wings started to grow and she could fly. She is so (maybe too) confident now!
But it's of course personality, history and circumstance combined.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He's 17 years old and trust me we have been trying for so long with him it's just crazy. He has always been scared since we brought him home when he was 8 weeks old. He seems like he wants to hang out with me but I think he is afraid too. I am going to get some more stuff boxed up this week so I can start spending more time with him in the other room while I am stitching.