• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peaches....is a male. Should I change his name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
My BE2 I purchased in June was DNA'd tested and the results are that Peaches is a male. I was going to leave the name as he is three years old and the salmon color under his white feathers are just beautiful. But I have been going back and forth......would you change your FIDs name?

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I say no! My g2's name is Cupcake and it totally suits him. I still call him a her because honestly, who cares. I call him by five gadjillion nicknames anyway. Peaches is a beautiful name and he probably KNOWS his name, too...I vote for keeping it!:dance4: Congrats on your BOY!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you wanted, you could change his name but use Peaches as a nickname. Or just try a different name for a while and if it doesn't feel natural, go back to Peaches. There are lots of boys with girl names out there, so it is really just up to you. :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
lots of birds are named Peaches....male or female...and congrats!!

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
Thanks.....Yes, I have nicknames for Peaches. Yes, he knows his name. So I will leave his name as Peaches. He is such a doll. I never knew a parrot could be so loveable and cuddly till this bird picked me. I wish my Macaw was the same. I am going to start working on them with clicker training. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
My BE2 I purchased in June was DNA'd tested and the results are that Peaches is a male. I was going to leave the name as he is three years old and the salmon color under his white feathers are just beautiful. But I have been going back and forth......would you change your FIDs name?
I would if you want to. I almost always change my animals names when I adopt them, unless I really love the name. I like Peaches, but if you don't, then change it. I just adopted a new bird and changed her name. I especially want to change it if I am unsure about the dogs history and what type of life and treatment they had prior to coming to me. I don't want any associations with things that could have been bad.

I say no! My g2's name is Cupcake and it totally suits him. I still call him a her because honestly, who cares. I call him by five gadjillion nicknames anyway. Peaches is a beautiful name and he probably KNOWS his name, too...I vote for keeping it!:dance4: Congrats on your BOY!
I would never change the name Cupcake either:) It is so great of a name!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm so glad you're going to let Peaches keep his name. Best of luck with their training...let us know how they do with it!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I like Peaches, but if you want to change it keep the long E sound. Keeper, Beeper, Peeper...

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
For an example, my little Truely came from a house who didn't even think she was important enough to have a name. They called her Birdy. :mad: So I kept the E sound and named her Truely. My other Goffin Girl came to me with the name Polly, which I thought was boring and typical so I went through the alphabet until I came to the F's and chose Folly. It suits her.

Ginger

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I like the name regardless of gendrr, but what is important is whether YOU feel the name suits him. Did you post a photo?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
For an example, my little Truely came from a house who didn't even think she was important enough to have a name. They called her Birdy. :mad: So I kept the E sound and named her Truely. My other Goffin Girl came to me with the name Polly, which I thought was boring and typical so I went through the alphabet until I came to the F's and chose Folly. It suits her.

Ginger
I love to see how people come up with names for their birds. I know of a few people who don't have names for their animals...they just call some things that I can't repeat here. It saddens me so much...:sad1:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Leroy our Grey turned out to be a girl when DNA'd years later. What a shock that was! by then she was calling herself Leroy and did not want to confuse her even more, or have a complex:hehe: so we left it and she does not mind!

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
I only changed the name of one of my rehomed birds. My quaker came to me with the name Sheena. I just didnt like it and changed it to Twiggy. She adapted quite well and was saying her name right away. Since the birds dont really care what gender-associated name they have i'd go with what ya like.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you still like the name, then I vote no. If you feel weird naming a boy Peaches, then change it if it makes you happy. My birds have nicknames, and I could probably change their neame to their nickname with no problems or confusion. They are adaptable. He won't get a complex if you leave him with a girl's name. LOL. I have a hyacinth named Cosmo which most people think is a boys name. She's fine with it. Although I call her Blue Girl most of the time and she will respond to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.