• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Peach broke a Blood Feather

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
So Peach was out for her nightly romp. She is currently molting and it would appear she lost a flight feather. Needless to say she lost a decent amount of blood before I could successfully apply the cornstarch. Currently, I have her in a small cage separate from my other babies.

The bleeding seems to have ceased. Is there anything more I could/should do?
*note: my local avian vet is closed, and the nearest one that is open is a state away.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So sorry. If the bleeding stopped there is nothing more you can do. Do you have the feather?

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
It hasn't completely fallen out, @Pipsqueak. I didn't want to touch it because she was let out a very unhappy cry. :cry3:

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
She should take care of it herself, my cockatiel pulls them if one breaks. I heard that it has to come out in order for the bleeding to stop, maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
She should take care of it herself, my cockatiel pulls them if one breaks. I heard that it has to come out in order for the bleeding to stop, maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
She's still young yet, so she may not know what to do. Overall, she's ACTING okay. And the blood loss wasn't substantial. I just wish she'd stop moving so much in the small cage. I literally have a bulk of a landing pad, but I don't want her hurting herself more!

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I haven't had it happen in a while but when it does, naturally, I hate the sight of all that blood splattered everywhere and under my birds wing. My bird, thinking something is touching it, will usually jump all around it's cage, making matters worse. What I do is cover the cage so it's dark. The bird will settle down and the blood will clot. I keep an eye on them, of course, but everything turns out fine. Never needed a vet. Another thing to remember is that birds in the wild break blood feathers all the time.

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I haven't had it happen in a while but when it does, naturally, I hate the sight of all that blood splattered everywehre and under my birds wing. My bird, thinking something is touching it, will usually jump all around it's cage, making matters worse. What I do is cover the cage so it's dark. The bird will settle down and the blood will clot. I keep an eye on them, of course, but everything turns out fine. Never needed a vet. Another thing to remember is that birds in the wild break blood feathers all the time.
This is true, I just always get so scared. She's snuggled on the bottom of the cage now that I've covered her flockmates. So it should be okay. I just can't imagine losing one of my fids. <3

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
"I just can't imagine losing one of my fids"

I know the feeling. I love mine so much, and although I know they live a long time, I can't help having the thought every once in a while. And, especially when it comes to my Timneh, I can't imagine life without her. It's ok to get scared and ask things here. My birds came from Marc Morrone (if you've ever seen him on TV) and over the years I've called him over just about every little thing that has caused me to panic (most of them silly in hindsight). It's a natural part of caring deeply for them.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
"I just can't imagine losing one of my fids"

I know the feeling. I love mine so much, and although I know they live a long time, I can't help having the thought every once in a while. And, especially when it comes to my Timneh, I can't imagine life without her. It's ok to get scared and ask things here. My birds came from Marc Morrone (if you've ever seen him on TV) and over the years I've called him over just about every little thing that has caused me to panic (most of them silly in hindsight). It's a natural part of caring deeply for them.
It just seems like that is the way things go with me though. I'm getting a new baby tomorrow afternoon. Last time I added a baby to the family, I lost one all in the same day! D: So now I have that fear constantly.

But you're right. I think AA knows me by now to be full of questions, and sometimes (if I'm lucky) answers!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I had a parrotlet do that once.

You have done it exactly right. Although it is recommended to have the feather pulled. It is not the only option.

You can also let the feather molt out or let your bird remove it. The thing is that the feather shaft has a blood supply so if the clot fails then it could bleed again. It is my understanding that the blood supply will remain until the shaft is removed or falls out. As long as the clot holds there is no problem but it certainly merits keeping a close eye on her.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I had a parrotlet do that once.

You have done it exactly right. Although it is recommended to have the feather pulled. It is not the only option.

You can also let the feather molt out or let your bird remove it. The thing is that the feather shaft has a blood supply so if the clot fails then it could bleed again. It is my understanding that the blood supply will remain until the shaft is removed or falls out. As long as the clot holds there is no problem but it certainly merits keeping a close eye on her.
Thank you Laurie. I didn't want to cause more stress at that given moment. I've watched her fiddling with it, so at least she recognizes it. Tonight her cage will be RIGHT NEXT to the head of my bed, so I can be sure she's okay. I really would just love for her to calm down, and snuggle with the blankies she's been given. (Which she finally is!)

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
"Last time I added a baby to the family, I lost one all in the same day!"

Sorry you have that precedence....I understand.

Laurie is right (and I know you'll keep an eye on her for continued bleeding...that's an issue). If there isn't any you can eventually have the shaft removed, but your bird will most likely know what to do. Preening is instnctive (even in young birds) and doesn't involve a learning curve. Just observe baby birds (of multiple species) and how they seem to preen like "pro's" but still have to learn how and what to eat - mostly by watching their parents. Nature's funny (and amazing) in this way. Feathers=survival for sure but you'd think there'd be less of a learning curve when it comes to eating but it's simply not so.

Edit: it's important to keep in mind that birds usually don't die of a broken blood feather.

Last edited:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: :hug8: How is she? I've heard that you should really pluck out the feather. :/

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Simply put, your bird can have a stub until it molts or you can have it pulled and new feather will beging to grow.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
If it keeps bleeding you will need to pull it. You could take her to the vet tomorrow as well and have them do it if she is not in any immediate danger. :hug8: I think there are some videos on youtube of how to properly do it. Just make sure not to pull it at an angle if you do end up pulling it. It'll hurt and she'll shriek but it's better than the alternative.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I decided (with fear of something happening while I slept) to "man" up and pull it.
We got the feather out completely, and of course it bled and she broke my heart with her cry.
But I put her back in her little cage with extra padding, and some millet.

Hoping everything is A-OK tomorrow, before I pick up Ollie.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
UPDATE
Woke up this morning, Peach was 100% better. Her wing healed up nicely. No more blood, even after she did her morning flapping routine. So that's really good! Moving her back in with her flockmates. Going to observe for a little while to make sure nobody picks on her, but I'm pretty sure all is well.

Thank you for all your help!
:hug8:

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Glad to see that your baby is better. You did the right thing pulling the feather. If one of mine breaks one I always end up pulling it. The way they play and interact, I get too scared that something could happen if I don't.

Glad your feeling better Peach! (Beautiful budgie, btw) :heart:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Good job! Sometimes they take care of the broken feathers, but sometimes they just can't quite make themselves do it. Now she'll be more comfortable and get a good night's sleep. And so will you!