• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PDD - Euthanize or Not?

Would you euthanize your bird if it tested positive for PDD?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I would follow my vet's advice

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I just noticed that a couple of people mentioned lately they would euthanize their bird(s) if they had PDD. I'm not judging, I'm just surprised. Maybe I don't know what I would do until I have to deal with it and have a discussion with my avian vet, but I currently feel like I would try to manage it, as long as the bird wasn't suffering. Of course, I would be more careful, keep my other birds separate and not bring any of them to bird public places unless necessary (like the vet).
The poll is confidential but feel free to elaborate if you want to.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I nursed a dog that had heart conditions. I followed him through the house with heating pads and blankets because vet was disgusted with me and said he had to stay warm.

Alfie lived longer than expected. He was not in pain. He rallied after that short bad spell. Lived to chase moms chickens.....

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
I would follow the advice of my vet. My birds are all seen by Dr. Lintner at the Avian Wellness Center. She is amazing, and has brought my Goffins back from the brink of death before. I trust her judgement and advice explicitly.

If she felt that case were bad enough to warrant euthanasia, I would follow her determination. She isn't prone to simply writing off a case because treating it is difficult. She has enough experience and knowledge to give me confidence in her analysis.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If their quality of life was good and they could tolerate meds I would certainly not euthanize. However, I would understand if someone weren't up to the maintenance and care of such a bird. It takes a large amount of owner commitment when diseases like this are involved and some simply can't handle it. It's not the choice that I would make, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

@DQTimnehs do you mean PDD or PBFD? There is currently no definitive diagnostic test for PDD, and no thought that birds can recover from it.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If their quality of life was good and they could tolerate meds I would certainly not euthanize. However, I would understand if someone weren't up to the maintenance and care of such a bird. It takes a large amount of owner commitment when diseases like this are involved and some simply can't handle it. It's not the choice that I would make, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

@DQTimnehs do you mean PDD or PBFD? There is currently no definitive diagnostic test for PDD, and no thought that birds can recover from it.

Oops, you're right - I was confusing the 2! :o: I will edit my post as I was referring to PDD.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Oops, you're right - I was confusing the 2! :o: I will edit my post as I was referring to PDD.

Now, I'm questioning whether the people talking about euthanizing were talking about PDD or PBFD. Oops! We'll leave it at PDD though.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
The most important factor in my design would be the quality of life.
If the vet thinks it could be managed with some things that would not decrease their quality of life, then I would not euthanize!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Now, I'm questioning whether the people talking about euthanizing were talking about PDD or PBFD. Oops! We'll leave it at PDD though.
I think it's a topic worth discussing for both diseases for sure. People need to know that there are options and that a diagnosis of either of these diseases is not an automatic death sentence for their bird.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The most important factor in my design would be the quality of life.
If the vet thinks it could be managed with some things that would not decrease their quality of life, then I would not euthanize!
There are times (quite often) that I feel your answers are beyond your years. Yes, meant that as a compliment

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
PDD is not bad at the very beginning but real bad as the disease progresses (we are talking chronic pain, weight loss, weakness, neurological damage, etc) and quality of life cannot be maintained so euthanasia should always be considered before it gets to the 'bad'. I know of a cockatoo kept alive and suffering for months and months, he had to have his crop surgically reconstructed three times and, at the end, all he ate were just a few peanuts... I hated his owners and his avian vet with a passion!

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
PDD is not bad at the very beginning but real bad as the disease progresses (we are talking chronic pain, weight loss, weakness, neurological damage, etc) and quality of life cannot be maintained so euthanasia should always be considered before it gets to the 'bad'. I know of a cockatoo kept alive and suffering for months and months, he had to have his crop surgically reconstructed three times and, at the end, all he ate were just a few peanuts... I hated his owners and his avian vet with a passion!

Yes, some people can't let go. That doesn't sound like they were doing it for the cockatoo. :( I feel the same way about giving chemo to any animal for cancer. They don't understand what's happening and can't make the decision to go through that so I don't agree with it. My friend who has had cancer and chemo said she wouldn't go through it again if it came back. That tells me we don't have the right to subject an animal to it. And usually it just prolongs their life a little.

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
I think an issue to also keep in mind is one's home situation: not everyone lives in a home large enough to have a 'safe zone' between a diseased parrot, and their healthy flock.

It is more work than some people can reasonably accommodate-- and choosing to euthanize does not make them bad people. They are keeping the best interest of their current healthy birds in the forefront.

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
I would race to the vet to put down my bird if it was suffering and nothing could be done. I would never let any of my pets suffer for my own selfish emotions. Listen to a vets advice about end of life issues never ever ever. Once I had a vet tell me that my cat suffering from feline leukemia wasn't suffering but hadn't much time left he said take him home for a week to ten days he said and say your good byes he has a lot of time don't worry. I took the precious thing back home and was horrified 6 hours later and the screaming started and I have never ever experienced anything like it,oh my god the suffering, it was horrific. I have never forgiven my self for not following my gut in that situation and I never will. Poor baby went out in the worst pain I have ever seen. I rushed him to the emerg vet and had him put down within the hour, thankfully. Then there was my flat coated retriever who came up with testicular cancer at 12 and I could not find a vet anywhere that would operate, put him down they all said he is old etc. we don't think he will even survive the surgery. I persisted and then went public with my frustrations that no one would help him,finally the spca stepped in and got a vet to operate. My beautiful boy lived another 5 years cancer and pain free,til he had a relapse and that time I knew it was time and we both went together for the last visit to the vet and we held each other to the last breath. Best thing I ever did. Then there was my cocker spaniel when I was a child who had a spinal issue happen and was paralyzed at three and the vet wanted to put her down, I wasn't doing it she wasn't in pain at all! I started daily hydro therapy I carried her everywhere I helped her to pee and evacuate her bowels In six weeks she could stand and urinate on her own, in six months she could walk again and in another 6 months you couldn't ever tell she ever had a problem,she also lived seventeen years and I was there that time as well holding her paw and kissing her nose as she breathed her last. Listen to my vet about end of life issues not on their little lives I would. Sorry I hope I haven't upset anyone but I think we know our family members the best and I think we are the ones who have their true best interests at heart and know the best.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I think an issue to also keep in mind is one's home situation: not everyone lives in a home large enough to have a 'safe zone' between a diseased parrot, and their healthy flock.

It is more work than some people can reasonably accommodate-- and choosing to euthanize does not make them bad people. They are keeping the best interest of their current healthy birds in the forefront.

The poll is not intended to judge anyone for their choice. I was only curious what the balance of answers would be. And kept it confidential so nobody could judge others if they didn't want to post a reply.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
I think it depends on the case, as you all have expressed.

Also, have to consider all the other birds that share the same house. Sure, you can practice great hygiene,but the truth is that damn virus will always be there as long as the sick bird is there. The vet tech at the place i took Kimi to, had one bird die of pdd..... And now all of her birds have bornavirus. Some are developing the inital signs of pdd now, others are not. They are on celebrex for life now. Then there are others who have had one bird get pdd and the rest end up being fine. So yeah, its confusing as all crap. The vet did bring up euthaneia with Kimi, but he ended up dying before i had to make that choice. It is a hard one, as you really need to evauliate your entire situation, the other birds, and of course, the condition of the sick bird himself.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny

Yes, some people can't let go. That doesn't sound like they were doing it for the cockatoo. :( I feel the same way about giving chemo to any animal for cancer. They don't understand what's happening and can't make the decision to go through that so I don't agree with it. My friend who has had cancer and chemo said she wouldn't go through it again if it came back. That tells me we don't have the right to subject an animal to it. And usually it just prolongs their life a little.
I just went through an oncology rotation at a veterinary hospital. They focus so directly on quality of life an that is their number one goal. I personally know of a dog that went through chemo and is now in remission and doing fantastically. Sometimes it can prolong their life years, and even if it is months in some cases it gives them some genuine relief from the pain. I think in the case of chemo and animals it's important to again consider the quality of the animal's life and go from there. Much like we are saying with PDD and PBFD.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I would race to the vet to put down my bird if it was suffering and nothing could be done. I would never let any of my pets suffer for my own selfish emotions. Listen to a vets advice about end of life issues never ever ever. Once I had a vet tell me that my cat suffering from feline leukemia wasn't suffering but hadn't much time left he said take him home for a week to ten days he said and say your good byes he has a lot of time don't worry. I took the precious thing back home and was horrified 6 hours later and the screaming started and I have never ever experienced anything like it,oh my god the suffering, it was horrific. I have never forgiven my self for not following my gut in that situation and I never will. Poor baby went out in the worst pain I have ever seen. I rushed him to the emerg vet and had him put down within the hour, thankfully. Then there was my flat coated retriever who came up with testicular cancer at 12 and I could not find a vet anywhere that would operate, put him down they all said he is old etc. we don't think he will even survive the surgery. I persisted and then went public with my frustrations that no one would help him,finally the spca stepped in and got a vet to operate. My beautiful boy lived another 5 years cancer and pain free,til he had a relapse and that time I knew it was time and we both went together for the last visit to the vet and we held each other to the last breath. Best thing I ever did. Then there was my cocker spaniel when I was a child who had a spinal issue happen and was paralyzed at three and the vet wanted to put her down, I wasn't doing it she wasn't in pain at all! I started daily hydro therapy I carried her everywhere I helped her to pee and evacuate her bowels In six weeks she could stand and urinate on her own, in six months she could walk again and in another 6 months you couldn't ever tell she ever had a problem,she also lived seventeen years and I was there that time as well holding her paw and kissing her nose as she breathed her last. Listen to my vet about end of life issues not on their little lives I would. Sorry I hope I haven't upset anyone but I think we know our family members the best and I think we are the ones who have their true best interests at heart and know the best.

You seem to have good instincts where your animals are concerned. But some people don't respect that an animal is suffering and want to do whatever is possible to keep it around as they are not ready to say goodbye. This doesn't benefit the pet.

I have never had a vet tell me I should keep a suffering animal alive nor have they told me to put one down that wasn't suffering. When the vet thought my cat had cancer and was wasting away (she was skin & bones), he asked what I wanted to do. I said I want to take her home. He said he was ok with that as she didn't seem to be suffering. I took her home, got my ex to take his cat that was stressing her out and she made a full recovery. She didn't have cancer. She was just stressed and stopped eating much.