• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PDD Can Stay On Feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I just wanted to toss this out there. I was at a seminar recently on PDD. It was given by a vet from St. Louis, and he gave us all of the information known at this time about the disease. I was pretty shocked when he stated that PDD can stay on feathers up to 4 months off of the infected bird.
I have nothing written that I can find to back this up. It just raised my cautious level.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So scary.....

I am always afraid when I take mine to the Avian Vet.... who knows what germs are just hanging around....that's the main place where mine would be exposed to something, kind of ironic, huh?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Something even more shocking, and again I have nothing to back this up. The guy could be overstepping the info for all I know, but he stated that 50% of the birds in the U.S. have this disease. I have no idea how he came up with this number. Which seemed a bit extreme. But what if it is true? So little is know about this. He kept stressing that PDD is not a disease, but a result of a disease.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
50%?? that seems rather high but that is totally frightening that it stays around...taking my bird to the vet just frightens the hell out of me and they do not go unless it is absolutely necessary.. it is so frightening.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So scary.....

I am always afraid when I take mine to the Avian Vet.... who knows what germs are just hanging around....that's the main place where mine would be exposed to something, kind of ironic, huh?
It is scary, there are vet offices that board birds too.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It is very scary. I just recently had a discussion with my vet about PDD and he is involved with many of the top people researching it. The reason we had the discussion is because I wanted my birds tested. I'm sure many people know this but for those of you that don't, they can't 100% accurately test for PDD until necropsy. What you can test for is ABV or avian borna virus which has been linked to almost all PDD cases. There are different strains of ABV and even that test is not 100% accurate, but I have had my birds tested twice and it does put your mind at ease. Now ABV does not live of a host very long, 3 days if I remember right, and is easily killed with regular disinfectants. Of course that has little bearing on the larger picture. I will say my comfort lies in people like my vet who are actively involved in the research of these awful things. Some day there will be a cure.

FYI this is the first thread I clicked on this morning, not how I like to start my morning. :D

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I always take the birds in first thing in the morning and enter in through the side enterance. As a last resort, we have had to board there, but we avoid it like the plague. We do our best to avoid infection and. I always ask if any other sick birds have been in the office prior.

Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How scary. I am also one of those that doesn't take them in for yearly checkups due to this. I get so scared of what they can possibly get from being exposed to where other sick animals have been. Now if I do see them acting off or acting sick I will bring them in to be seen.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My vet says most birds in the U.S have avian borna virus. It lays dorment until something triggers it. You can have a bird die or have PDD for years coexisting with other birds who do not have it and live "natural lifespans". PDD and ABV is all around us. I try to practice precautions, but I refuse to live my life in fear. I thought Bokka died of PDD. And I was a mess!:( I'm glad they're doing more research on PDD and ABV. I think we need more, lots more, research done.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm honestly not convinced that ABV is directly linked to PDD. I've heard 60% of captive birds will test positive for ABV, only a very small percentage of those birds will get PDD and some birds with PDD test negative for ABV. That's the scary part to me because a lot of vets think that the bird has to have ABV in order to have PDD and the bird goes untreated until death when necropsy proves the bird had PDD. I think it's purely coincedental and they have not yet found a test for PDD. In my experience it's not as contagious as people think (I can PM you about my personal experience if you like, none of my birds ever got it but a flock close to me has.)

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

One of the best vets in western Canada boards birds. Although they follow very strict protocols, it's still cause for concern.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't think we know nearly enough about PDD to speculate that it can be transferred from a feather, much less after such a time frame. At this point, we don't even know for sure if PDD is air borne or not or what truly causes it. We have pretty much linked PDD to Avian Borna Virus (ABV) but a bird can have ABV and never come down with PDD and many birds do have ABV. The testing that is currently being done for ABV is coming back with a lot of false positives as well. The only thing we know for sure is that we really don't know much.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I've heard 60% of captive birds will test positive for ABV, only a very small percentage of those birds will get PDD and some birds with PDD test negative for ABV. That's the scary part to me because a lot of vets think that the bird has to have ABV in order to have PDD and the bird goes untreated until death when necropsy proves the bird had PDD.
This I agree with this (not sure of the percentage) many birds have ABV and never show signs of PDD. Many birds have PDD and do not have ABV. I don't think that all vets think you have to have one to have the other. I think some vets say they are testing your bird for PDD and leaving out the fact that they are actually testing for ABV. (not my vet) If you had a bird with the correct symptoms for the disease I think ABV tests should be performed.

I do not agree about the level of contagiousness. I would hate for it to be perceived that "it's is that bad", no one knows. Therefor if you "got lucky" to not have it passed to your birds then you did just that. Plus, as we are stating, there a a huge level of unknown. They can carry it and show nothing. You can test for it and show nothing, and have it. Too scary to say "In my experience it's not as contagious as people think"

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
PDD scares the heck out of me.:scared1::scared2: Where is the main research on PDD being done? I would be willing to participate in some kind of fundraiser on AA (is that allowed?) to raise $$$ for research. Does PDD ever affect poultry?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
PDD scares the heck out of me.:scared1::scared2: Where is the main research on PDD being done? I would be willing to participate in some kind of fundraiser on AA (is that allowed?) to raise $$$ for research. Does PDD ever affect poultry?
I love the fundraiser idea!!! I have articles regarding the research however I don't want to link them because they are attached to a bird breeders site. Dr. Graham, Dr.Gaskin and Dr. Ritchie are the few listed doing tons of research on PDD. Dr. Ritchie is who my vet consults with. I am sure there is a way to donate directly to that fund. Maybe someone else knows more.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

If it affected poultry, the million dollar poultry industry would have found a cure for it by now...sigh...

There are lots of ways to donate. Just do a search on PDD.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I've heard 60% of captive birds will test positive for ABV, only a very small percentage of those birds will get PDD and some birds with PDD test negative for ABV. That's the scary part to me because a lot of vets think that the bird has to have ABV in order to have PDD and the bird goes untreated until death when necropsy proves the bird had PDD.
This I agree with this (not sure of the percentage) many birds have ABV and never show signs of PDD. Many birds have PDD and do not have ABV. I don't think that all vets think you have to have one to have the other. I think some vets say they are testing your bird for PDD and leaving out the fact that they are actually testing for ABV. (not my vet) If you had a bird with the correct symptoms for the disease I think ABV tests should be performed.

I do not agree about the level of contagiousness. I would hate for it to be perceived that "it's is that bad", no one knows. Therefor if you "got lucky" to not have it passed to your birds then you did just that. Plus, as we are stating, there a a huge level of unknown. They can carry it and show nothing. You can test for it and show nothing, and have it. Too scary to say "In my experience it's not as contagious as people think"
I should have been more clear. I didn't mean that you shouldn't be worried or complacent about it. I just don't think it can live off of the host for that long. This is what I believe from my personal experience but since not much is scientifically known about it it doesn't hurt to be careful. I believe that a lot of birds are exposed at vet offices where a bird with PDD is being treated. Personally I believe a bird has to be directly exposed (in the same air space) to an affected bird or exposed to an item within minutes of the item being exposed to an affected bird. If anyone wants to know why I think this you can PM me and I can discuss it in more detail.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
There needs to be a distinction between those birds with PDD and those that are carriers. REsearch is being done at Texas A&M with Dr Tizard. Dr Hoppis works with students and sees avians at the clinic. This is a field that has had a lot of breakthroughs and you almost need to attend seminars to get current on the information. Vets network via internet.

When Dr Hoppis gave the talk re PPD a couple of years back she spoke about how some of the testing was done or conclusions they came to. Subjects used for testing were those known with the disease and the university has a colony. (also have a colony of PBFD infected birds). They tested what was perceived "clean" birds which came from surrounding aviaries with no history of PDD. Many of the birds from the clean aviaries were found to have the virus to the dismay of the owners.

The testing done at that time was serial stool specimens which ended up having a higher correct testing than any biopsies. The serial fecals were done in 3's being one week apart. Birds may be neg for two then positive. They found 3 was the amount needed to find the virus vs having negatives. I forget the % of accuracy (80's) but it was high and one of the best results at that time.

Texas A&M will accept money for research. Dr Hoppis also accepts toys for the birds in the colony. I have a friend that some of us buy toys from and she uses that money to make toys for the birds in the colony...they may be sick but still need enrichment. I have pictures of birds in the two colonies...beautiful birds!

Some information is anecdotal information. Until studies are complete they cannot be published as fact. I know Dr Tizard has been available per phone to speak with people or other vets. About a year ago they were accepting stool samples so they could complete some testing.

Dr Ritchie on the east coast has been involved with research also. There is a PDD group that help support his research and sells raffle tickets to a beautiful quilt. ONe friend lost her entire flock to the disease.

May your birds stay healthy. Give each a hug from me :hug8: :hug8::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
First let me say my heart absolutely breaks for anyone going through, or that has gone through having a bird with this terrible disease{or symptom of}:hug8:
Second, I personally don't feel I can ever be too cautious for my own flock. I don't live in fear, I am just realistic.
One of the most difficult things about this, is it is so erratic, and hard to pinpoint. I don't think anything ironclad can be said, yet.
Here is hoping that there will soon be answers. And thanks to those diligently researching towards some answers.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.