• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Patchy white feathers

Maria_604

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hi!

Does anyone else find their caique's white feathers look a bit patchy sometimes?

Mine has quite a few pins coming in on his white belly feathers and some of his current white belly feathers (especially the ones near the bottom that he ruffles up a lot when surfing) look pretty scruffy with grey downy bits showing slightly but no actual baldness.

He's showing no signs of illness at all, eating normally, normal poop etc and all his other feathers are fine. He seems to lose one or two little feathers a day of differing colours and I find them in the bottom of his cage or they fall out as he's surfing.

He's 11 years old.

WhoaNellie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi!

Does anyone else find their caique's white feathers look a bit patchy sometimes?

Mine has quite a few pins coming in on his white belly feathers and some of his current white belly feathers (especially the ones near the bottom that he ruffles up a lot when surfing) look pretty scruffy with grey downy bits showing slightly but no actual baldness.

He's showing no signs of illness at all, eating normally, normal poop etc and all his other feathers are fine. He seems to lose one or two little feathers a day of differing colours and I find them in the bottom of his cage or they fall out as he's surfing.

He's 11 years old.
Not really patchy, but I have noticed that sometimes her white chest looks a little grayish. I've wondered if it's because she's molting and maybe the feathers are a little thinly layered? I don't know, but my bird seems happy and healthy, too. She'll be 3 years old in a few months.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Mine get scruffy like that from constantly surfing too. As far as I know it's normal and harmless.