• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Pasture raised vs. free range chicken eggs

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Guess which is which!

pasture-raised vs free range chicken eggs.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Making an Omelet?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think "free range" can be misleading. Sad to think about but some people consider free range letting the chickens walk like 5 feet for 5 minutes.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The term "free range" can mean several things in regulation terms. We picture a chicken who can walk around a yard at free will doing what chickens do. From my friendly chicken raising person free range can also mean a chicken who is kept in an enclosure and can walk around in that enclosure without ever seeing the light of day. Happy omlet eating!

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Years back, when I was up in the Green Bay area of Wisconsin, I drove past a farm that had eggs for sale. Turns out it is an Amish farm and picked up really fresh eggs. You enter the side door where there is a refrigerator running, holding the eggs, with a table next to it and a little bucket for the money that you leave. Chickens can be running around along with a couple of friendly dogs and you see their horses around, yep, a true farm.

On another occasion I stopped in, the Mother of 3 little girls called to the older gentleman by name, Milo which is also the name on the egg carton. One time when I was in a Standard Market food store I was surprised to see that egg carton in that store and to find out, yes, someone picks up their eggs to sell. The store only sold the large size eggs but when I was at the farm itself I could choose jumbo which is what I prefer anyway.

Yokes are big and orange and so fresh with a much better taste to them. One time there were even a few green shelled eggs but I don't remember which species of hen the lady said it was from.

I don't get over to the store that sells them very often but happened to have to go there last Saturday and was so disappointed Milo's eggs were no longer on the shelf but rather another Amish brand. Bummer :arghh:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Free range in my mind is the way most people kept chickens in Brazil - they were loose on your property around your house and - if they were lucky, they had some type of hut or coop to sleep in.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Free range commercially is a joke! My mother in law has a lot of chickens and they have those nice deep orange yolks. Soo yummy. I'm pretty sure being able to forage for bugs and stuff really helps deepen that color!