• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pasta, Rice, Beans

Oliver Queen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stephanie
Hi, I have recently become an Eclectus owner. I have read conflicting statements online about Pasta. Is pasta okay to feed my baby boy? What type of pasta - is it whole grain and vegetable pasta that is ok? What about rice? Do they have nutritional benefits? (This is in relation to adding them to a vegetable "chop" - not actually just giving them straight out pasta/rice).
Also ... Beans. What type of beans!? And how do you buy them? eg dried, canned? (when i think about beans I usually only think of the fresh green vegetable type).
And sprouts or sprouted seeds or .... ????? I am confused, no, never mind, that can be for another lesson time :)
Please tell me what you know about pasta, rice and beans.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I am sure others can answer your questions. I don't have Ekkie experience.

@BirdGuy21 ?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump8:

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Sorry I'm just seeing this, I haven't been online in a while!

I feed pasta as a rare treat. Whole grain or veggie pasta I would think would be preferred over regular. Lots of carbohydrates and unnecessary additives in pasta that birds really don't need. I would say my guys get maybe two noodles a month, if that. Same goes for rice. Make sure it is cooked.

As for beans I only feed sprouted garbanzo and mung beans. There are some bird mixes from Volkmans that you cook that have a bunch of different types of beans in them. I wouldn't use anything canned and don't feed any beans dried.