• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Past due time for me to write a tribute to Sky.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I've been on this forum for several months now, and I'm finally writing a proper tribute for Sky. He passed back in February, but his loss still hurts just as much, albeit less often.

You had humble beginnings, just a face in the crowd at my local PetCo. I was an immature child, heart set on a leopard gecko. I ended up impulsively choosing you, not because of your health or personality, simply because you had the same pattern as a bird I saw on TV. I brought you home, with a small cage and some seed. Completely unprepared. Unknowing of your potential. For the first few months of your life, I treated you like a toy, playing to my wishes sometimes, and ignoring you others. It's not your fault you were afraid of hands, it was mine. I ignored you for two years, save changing your food and water every few days. There were inch-high mounds of droppings on your newspaper. Looking back on how I neglected you, I can't even express how sorry I am in words. Two years ago was our real turning point. For the first time in my life, I got off my lazy butt and researched, taking in all the information I could. I tried to get you to eat some veggies, and succeeded somewhat. I learned that you loved to dance and sing, and that you were fine on my arm if I covered up my hand with a long sleeve. We actually spent time together. I used the model/rival method I borrowed from Pepperberg and taught you to ask for your beloved mirror. You were gone much too soon, five years is so young, even for a budgie. Looking back, I miss our dances to your favorite songs. I miss the quiet nights we spent together, me reading you stories. I miss waking up to your cheery chirping, waiting to be uncovered. You taught me patience, endurance, kindness, forgiveness (especially after a hard pinch!), how to work hard, and so many other things. If only we could have been together a little longer.

Sky, fly high and happy, and one day, may we meet again.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Sorry for your loss, Trinity. This is a beautiful tribute.

:hug8:I'm proud of you for all you've learned and grown. Even if you had a rough start, Sky was a lucky little bird to have an owner who cared enough to admit and learn from mistakes. You continue that forward motion, and one day when you have another bird, Sky's legacy will be in the application of your new learning.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sorry for your loss.
They fly into our hearts and leave feather dust on our souls forever......

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry for your loss, Trinity. This is a beautiful tribute.

:hug8:I'm proud of you for all you've learned and grown. Even if you had a rough start, Sky was a lucky little bird to have an owner who cared enough to admit and learn from mistakes. You continue that forward motion, and one day when you have another bird, Sky's legacy will be in the application of your new learning.
Sorry for your loss. The words above are well stated.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry about your loss of Sky.
:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so very sorry for your loss

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road