• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Part One - Sam the Amazon

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Part One on Sam is a huge support coming in for him. If we could just say goodbye to this wonderful bird.

The Animal Behavior Center, LLC is at The Animal Behavior Center, LLC.
March 3 at 7:34 PM · Sylvania, OH ·
You will want to read this post. It's not about a bird, it's about love and life, and that quality of life we want for the animals in our care.

I will forever cherish this photo, Sam, what he has taught me, how much you can love an animal through training and how much stronger training can make that relationship.

I adopted Sam, the Amazon with no eyes from A Helping Wing Rescue in New Jersey just 6 months ago. He has skyrocketed in our care, and I have skyrocketed in his. He has been one of my best teachers and has won the hearts of many all over the world. I am forever grateful for the day I stumbled upon him.

Through recent unfortunate reviews of his vet records, I have just found out that Sam has not been out of his cage since 2002 before he was surrendered to A Helping Wing Parrot Rescue. That's 16 years. I was shocked when I read that yesterday. I was shocked because of what I saw him doing when we let him out of his cage. He was flourishing. What I saw and still see in Sam is such a strong-willed individual. He comes out of his cage daily and explores the cages next to him. Through training, he and I have developed such a strong bond, and now when he hears my voice, instead of lunging, he starts searching for interaction and new, daily endeavors.

Sam has recently become very ill. We were very worried about him last week and made a vet appointment. Through testing, we have learned Sam has acute leukemia. His test results are pretty severe. This has been a severe blow to all of us here at The Animal Behavior Center. Based on Sam's history and my observations of him over the past 6 months, I can see that Sam is not a healthy bird. He's older and came from a home with older caregivers. Aviculture has come a long way in the past few decades, but when we see older birds like this, it is not uncommon they have a plethora of health issues to not knowing the capacity of their care through proper diet, exercise, enrichment and more. My hat is off to the reputable rescues that see this on a daily basis and continue to educate.

I hesitated in even making this post because I'm not sure what the future holds. I chose to make it so this doesn't come as a shock to those that follow our work and to those that follow Sam. We've been told he doesn't have long and we've also been told his future will hold good and bad days. All of us here at the center are devastated and also so honored to have had the opportunity to meet and live, love, and learn from and with such an amazing creature.

Now knowing the signs and symptoms, I now understand what I am seeing. All I want for Sam is his peace and comfort. I love this guy with all of my heart and more. Watching him blossom, explore, talk to the other animal, talk to us, letting me pet him, has taken every aspect of my life that I thought was tough and gave it new meaning.

Sam, you are my hero. I am so happy I stumbled upon you that day at A Helping Wing Parrot Rescue in New Jersey. I am forever grateful to you and all of those whos work goes unrecognized. I know Sam has enjoyed his explorations and life here. If I had to do it all again, I would in a heartbeat. I think Sam would too. I wish we had met years ago, Sweet Sam.

We are all giving Sam our every last effort to fight for his time here on earth. We are also going to give him peace and comfort in whatever way he decides. He will let us know.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
This poor creature got the short end of the stick for most of his life, and the fact that he still retains a jovial personality speaks volumes about his character. I know the lives that Sam has touched have been enriched forever. I also know that after reading this, I will never forget Sam.

It just seems so damn unfair that his life is ending when it was just beginning.

May you be at peace, Sam, on whatever journey you decide to take.

Last edited:

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
:,( wow, it sounds like he had it tough. Thank you so much for giving him such an amazing life. Good luck to his future health.

Although it is unfair that he has only started to know happiness, I am glad that he met you before making the final journey.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It just seems so damn unfair that his life is ending when it was just beginning.
At least it finally began. I'm grateful for that at least. :heart2: When his time finally comes, he will be surrounded by love.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Is it true that he passed away? I saw it on a post on Facebook :sad1:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I imagine so. He was close in the video. Rest his sweet soul.

I will copy Laura,s message tomorrow. Cant copy and paste on kindle. Sam was gently euthanized.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Poor baby. I want to cry...

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Aw... what a beautiful little soul. I'm glad he got to enjoy a soft landing, even if it was brief. Wings high, Sam I am.