• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrots talking

Does your parrot speak to and in context

• Yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I was watching a show about animals and their antics when some clips of birds came on. One of the clips was of Einstein the African Grey. Then a animal behaviourist Professor from the UK came on and was talking about the clips of the birds.

This animal behaviourist Professor said that Parrots are unable to put more then two words together or form a sentence. Well I know that Henry says "What are you doing?, Come here now, Tequila Come here, Peter come here, Evelyn come here. Zen, Zoe puss puss puss, Hello, etc. I think you get the picture.

So how many Parrot companions here, can talk to their bird?

PS, I think that this animal behaviourist Professor should watch Dr Pepperberg and Alex the African Grey videos.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Well Shinobi I’m a little surprised at my caique who is only 1. I was told yesterday that they aren’t talkers, but the day before that I was singing “Old MacDonald” to Rio.....usually I say “on that farm he had a Rio” but that day I said “On that farm he had a bird”
And Rio immediately jumped up and said “where’s Rio?”
So I would say that had context.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Well Shinobi I’m a little surprised at my caique who is only 1. I was told yesterday that they aren’t talkers, but the day before that I was singing “Old MacDonald” to Rio.....usually I say “on that farm he had a Rio” but that day I said “On that farm he had a bird”
And Rio immediately jumped up and said “where’s Rio?”
So I would say that had context.
Ahw! Smart girl:heart:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine has learned Thank You (garbled but you can tell what it is) and she answers to Tink, loves to sing off key in her own garbled way.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton is our first bird speaks "human". His ability to talk in context constantly surprises me. I've estimated his vocabulary at about 100 words, with the majority used in context.
Unfortunately, Milty's kind of shy in front of people he doesn't know well....but every once in awhile, he'll start gabbing with a stranger...usually when he wants to flirt with a woman he meets...;) :rolleyes:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis doesn't have a huge vocabulary but what he does say he does generally say in context. He says "hello" or "hi Elvis" (almost everything get Elvis added to it. LOL) when I get home or if he wants my attention. He says "Goodnight Elvis" when he starts to get tired, when I cover him for bed or when the fiancé goes upstairs for bed (he goes to bed before we do). He says "I love Elvis" when he's being affectionate or if he's been naughty and is trying to suck up to me. :rolleyes: He says "step up" when he wants me to come to him. :rolleyes::rolleyes: And then he randomly says "What's up", "What's up Elvis" "What" and he just started saying "relax" which I'm not sure where that came from. He's been mumbling a few other things too. So, I think he's working on new words.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
My Major's , Bentley and Isabelle speak in context albeit not the clarity of an African Grey or Amazon . When Bently is in a content state of being, he sings his Lullaby , Rock-a-by- birdie. Isabelle, whispers sweet nothings in my ear...what's- ya -doing baby Birdie ,while she hutches rides on my shoulder around the house . Birdie- bed-time brings soft murmurs of goodnight babys ,as I cover their sleeping cage.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Apparently, that professor never heard of Dr. Pepperberg and Alex the Grey-- or any other parrots who do indeed speak in context, and make up their own phrases. There are plenty of them here on the Forum. My adopted CAG Scooter will say many things in context. For instance, if she thinks she's been up too long past her bedtime, she'll say "lights out!" She's also said "Scooter, you have poop in your water" when she really did. Ralph the QP will respond to the word "chicken" by clucking like a chicken, and will sneeze or quack like a duck if asked to. When I change Ralph's water and ask him what I have, he'll say "water." He also knows that's what comes out of the tap in the kitchen. One should never underestimate the intelligence of parrots! :D

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Ella rearranges sentences and words to her own liking including songs.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
If Frankie wakes up in a good mood, which he usually does, when I uncover him he will give me "Good morning, how are you today?"'
Bebe will ask Frankie "What ya doing Frankie?" if she can't see him or if he's hiding out in his tunnel.
If I am in the kitchen and call through what they want, Frankie will say Cracker cracker cracker lol
At night, when they're snuggling up for the night, they both say "love you" which is what I always say before lights out.
Frankie also talks to himself at night...I can never make out what he's saying, just jibberish to me, but would love to decode it one day :)

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I'm technically both answers. Diggle doesn't talk at all, Ollie talks, but says the same phrases a lot, the only thing he says in context is thank you after he gets a kiss, and he's started to say it for treats too. Slade I'm still learning. He does a water sound when he wants me to change his water, or if I take to long to get his dish back to him. He laughs super appropriately to the point that it's eerie. No one will even laugh first either and he'll chime in with his adorable cackle. He also says step up when he wants to go somewhere new and not be where he is now.

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
I’m both, too. I have one talker and one who doesn’t. Milo doesn’t have any sentence long phrases yet, but what he does say is always in context. For example, he says “good morning” in the mornings when we first wake up and “no bite” when he wants to tease me :laugh: Luka uses sounds very accurately. He has specific chirps for different situations. He has a hello chirp that he repeats until the person he’s saying hi to says hello back, then he’s happy. He responds to good morning and good night the same way every time. Parrots are wonderful :joyful: