• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrots say the darndest things

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
my first Budgie was the talker. Bud would say "hey baby, how about kiss??? with kissy noises, here kitty, kitty, bark like a dog, Bud likes snow, (but that was only in the middle of July), pretty boy oh such a pretty boy, I'm naughty and my favorite a very beery BURP."

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
For me it's Lucia who's the big talker, though Nero is catching up.

Lucia can be the most polite bird one moment, saying "please" when she wants something and "thank you" if she gets a treat or when I take her out. Then she can be a rude little brat. She hates one of my friends for no apparent reason and once told him "Get the ---- away from me." when he went near her cage. We have NEVER used that phrase in the house, use all the words for it but never that phrase itself. She put that one together all by herself!

Nero has, thankfully, not developed a potty beak. However he will start being a butt to his sister and then say "Be nice to her!" as he's doing it. Seriously bird, don't preach it, do it!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Tonight I was doing Echo's nails something he puts up but does not like. He was being really good about it. And when I was finished told him what a good boy was. He promptly stood up really tall and very confidently said "I know!"
:lol: Oh Echo you're too much sometimes :roflmao:

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I love reading these stories. The fact that not just a few birds, but MANY birds have figured out that they can communicate with us by mimicking us amazes me every time.

My tiels don't talk, but they certainly have their own way of expressing themselves. :xflove:

Sometimes I think it would be fun to adopt a bird friend that could talk, but I would want to break our cursing habits first... We are good moat of the time... except when we play video games. :facepalm: Maybe I should set up a jar and we have to donate a dime or something every time we say something 'pirate like.' Haha

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo is sentient and his ability to bring awe inspiring sentences into our lives is unbelievable at times!

At first my wife thought I was ready for the funny farm but can’t deny his ability to reason of late as he dictates what he wants increasingly Day by Day!

Pilo is one of God’s miracles and we are very lucky to be a part of his life! :smileflower:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Chirp doesn't really talk, but I get what he means through his chirps. Like I'll be making a toy or messing around with something, and he'll cock his head and go "beeeeeeeep?". Or if he's running around pecking at seed on the floor and I tell him no, he'll look at me and cluck disapprovingly. He also likes to chatter when I talk or if someone is talking on tv, I think he's trying to translate! :lol:

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Language is great but sometime it isn't great too. Take Mister the CAG,:cagrf: at the clinic right now. he has about 200 words vocabulary and 175 of those words are either racist or cuss words. he can talk nice but 99.5 % of the time it followed by some thing nasty. he is learning now that naughty words do not get you treats like popped corn, a shelled nut.
:oops2:
I'm cracking up! :embarassed:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I have a few...

Darwin:
On my shoulder, I offered him a cracker, he turned away; he still seemed very interested so I offered again, he turned away, interested still so I offered a 3rd time and he said "no thanks". :laugh: I didn't know he knew that.

Another time on my shoulder, he screeched, I said "don't!" He did it again, I said "stop it, you're hurting my ear." 3rd time, I just turned and gave him a dirty look. He said "sorry". I was so impressed, I wasn't mad at him. :D

He is the scream police and tells the others to "stop" if they screech or make too much noise. I was taking him and Quack back to the bird room and was singing a made up song about wanting to relax and watch a show and he said "stop". I laughed so hard! Everyone's a critic! :rofl:

I was on the couch and he was on the counter in the kitchen and couldn't see me and asked a few times "where are you?" I wasn't sure he really knew what he was saying until the next day when I was on the couch again with Quack and Darwin couldn't see either of us and said "Quack...where are you?" I knew then that he understood what he was saying. :joyful: