• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrots say the darndest things

Birdie Onions

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tarryn
Have you ever had a moment with your parrot, where you say to yourself "how the hec did you know to say that?"
Or do a double take after they have caught you unawares?
My B&G often uses the most appropiate sayings at the most appropriate times.
Like he bites and then asks you "was that sore?". He even cocks his head to see your expression.
Or he falls off his perch and proclaims "Ow!"
The one day I was playing with him, by tickling and cuddling him by putting my face in his feathers, for him to turn to me and say Nooooo!
He has also tapped me on the shoulder and has asked me for a kiss.
The best was today, we had a black out, so we went to the electricity box to switch the lights back on.
And as we enter the room, the one African grey James starts barking!
Our own little gaurd dog! we laughed so hard as it was so unexpected and yet so appropriate.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
How Milton comes up with some of the things he says constantly amazes me...

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I love when they catch you off guard like that. Echo says the weird things sometimes. Once I told him it time for bed and he said "ahhh no"

One day he was so on point with everything he said I'll never forget it. I took him to the park and he had his harness on and start playing with it. I say to him "that keeps you safe, you need to keep it on." And he goes "I doooo?" Then later on we are in the car heading home, we go over some train tracks and he panics alittle. I tell him he's ok and he goes "I know". Then I tell him what a good boy he is and he says "I am" :hilarious:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love all these stories! Since I have tiels, I don't get to much conversation other than "Good Morning, Hello," and variations on things like that. I always wonder what they are really thinking, and what they would say if they could.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
They do say things that make one take a double take. I was sweeping the floor this evening with the broom, and was telling Ella how messy she is.... she told me to go lay down. :huh:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Language is great but sometime it isn't great too. Take Mister the CAG,:cagrf: at the clinic right now. he has about 200 words vocabulary and 175 of those words are either racist or cuss words. he can talk nice but 99.5 % of the time it followed by some thing nasty. he is learning now that naughty words do not get you treats like popped corn, a shelled nut.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
My CAG who passed away used to be my only bird and his cage was in my bed room....

Let's just say he inserted an appropriately timed "good boy" that caused both my boyfriend and I to nearly die laughing while he was covered and supposedly sleeping!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
when we went to get him, his vocalization from his travel cage and in the neighborhood we were in, could have gotten us shot, knifed, or something else equally horrible. we pulled into the nearest safe gas station and I wrapped his cage in my black winter jacket. partly to muffle him and put him in the dark. the sad thing is it did muffle. but he was even more mad, more naughty words spew forth. I can't even type them here because I would be banned for life.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
OMG I love it! Boo says "what are ya doin" but it is more repeatative, but if you tell him to stop being silly or something like that, he says "what?' like he didn't hear you! Odin my tiel always asks "do you want a drink" .... LOL

Komandr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristin
My quaker was the better talker when she was alive, and my favourite memory of her talking was the time she kept calling my name, and my mom told me to answer my bird. I asked her, "What, Jade?" to which she replied "What are you doing??"

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Dobey is still surprising me with phrases I have never heard from him. I placed some apple in his bowl and he said "good job". He also talks in his sleep. Hubby suggested putting a baby monitor in his room so we could figure out what he is saying....he also laughs in his sleep

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Dobey is still surprising me with phrases I have never heard from him. I placed some apple in his bowl and he said "good job". He also talks in his sleep. Hubby suggested putting a baby monitor in his room so we could figure out what he is saying....he also laughs in his sleep
:rofl: That's too funny! I do rarely get a "Good Sarah" from Echo, I'm not sure what for though

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Grumbles new favorite phrases are step up and kisses. :lol:

He says step up a lot, usually in context when I am about to ask him to step up :hehe:
For kisses he usually says it while on my shoulder, when I usually kiss him. He also imitates a kissy noise :heart:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Nelson's (GCC) favorite things to say are....step up, what are you doin, tickle tickle and the new one...and how he woke me up this morning really loud...give me a kiss and a loud kissie noise. Kiwi's words are Peekaboo, what are you doin (in that oh so sweet ringneck voice) pretty bird and gimmie a kiss. I think at this point they are learning from each other

Rolanda

The "Whatcha Doin?" caught my mom off guard while she was watching the animals when we went on a little trip. I got 4 phone calls from her in succession while we were at Disneyland. I thought the house was burning down! She said "Did you forget to tel me something about your birds?". I said "No, What's up?" she said "I walked across the room and someone said 'watcha doin?'. I looked at the dog first because she was 2" away from me. It was Beaks! Almost gave me a heart attack!". He has never said another word to her. I guess she didn't answer him; he figures she's not worth the effort. :lol: