• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"parrots on a pelleted diet live twice as long...

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
[QUOTE This isn't a thread on the efficacy of pellets. But it is one on the accuracy and origins of the specific claim.
[/QUOTE]

Well that is an easy one to answer.
Somebody is telling porkies.
Birds may live as long as some other diets, on fabricated foods.
But as for them being ideal! They are not.

In fact I will put money on the fact that any bird fed on a 80% or higher pellet diet will die at at an earlier age than one fed on a good varied real diet.
No matter what the species.

Take for example 'Pellets for Lorikeets' Really?
Which does lead to damage to their tongue.
BUT HEY! You can buy them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
One bad product doesn't negate other good ones.

And I have not seen anyone on this forum ever say they feed 80% or more pellets to be perfectly honest....

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
[QUOTE="Mizzely, I have not seen anyone on this forum ever say they feed 80% or more pellets to be perfectly honest....
[/QUOTE]
But there is an issue right there!

Pellets are claimed to be formulated as a balanced nutritional food.
Correct?

Well if you are not feeding at the recommended dosage. (And I call it dosage, as they are loaded up with supplements along with the damaged and enzyme negative, ground up mush.) they are waste of time. It is that simple.
Far better to target any issues directly if and when they show. Is that not better?
Than a 'Just incase'.

I have still yet to hear from anyone who can prove they are some sort of necessary supplement to fresh food diet.
Only then I buy into something that can and does cause health and even behavior issues a food.

I feed diets varied to every different species that comes in here. Good grief it is not that hard. And the least I can do for any captive bird.
Every test that has been done, has only ever shown an issue with birds fresh to me.

Feeding pellets is no different than those who think they have to dose for worms every 6mths.
YOU DO NOT need to if you look after your birds well.
I have proven this all too often.

Do you know about the two Eclectus who tested positive (only slight signs) for Staphylococci I took in?
We cleared that with just good fresh food diets.

And I will always throw Marshall's case at you.
15mths old and showing signs of liver damage! AND behavior issues, FROM? The very same diet the vet promoted.
Fabricated food based diet.

All cleared up in just a few weeks and conversion to fresh real foods.

You will never go past feeding live fresh foods like sprouts. Far better than some dried up nugget that swells to three times its size when soaked. And very little variation per species, if any.

Last edited:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
One quote "It depends on the synthetic compound. But you would have to read more of the actual article to get the answers. For example Menadione is a synthetic "Source of Vitamin K Activity" in just about all pellets. It is banned in human foods and not allowed in pet foods in many European countries because it is considered a carcinogen. I will always be a proponent of fresh foods or products made from fresh foods over any highly processed foods for parrots or humans. I may not be a chemist but I have done in-depth research with nutritionists, journals, reputable web sites, etc. I did a major parrot death survey some time ago and was appalled at the number of parrots that were on a primarily pelleted diet that were dying of renal failure, liver disease, cancer, etc." End quote.

And just yet another reason. I do not believe or trust the manufactures.