• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrots in apartments?

Jonatron5

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan
So ive always wanted a parrot, ()yes ive thought it through and im willing to make the commitment, im a homebody anyway,) and my mom has always been terribly afraid of them(no idea why) Im going to be graduating college and moving out on my own in a year(yay senior year)

so I was wondering what kind of apartments if any Parrots do well in.

I have my heart set on either a Maccaw(becuase of there colorsand there tropical association)

or

an african grey for there vocal skills,

wichever one is more independent

(becuase I will have to have a full time job)

however do not fear about parrot neglect, as I am such a homebody, if Im not at work I will be at home.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to AA!

I personally think that Macs shouldn't be apartment birds because of their noise level. (I think even the mini-macs can be loud)
I don't know as much about greys though

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Welcome to Avian Avenue, you have found an awesome group that is super helpful, funny and friendly! Welcome to the AA family!!

I am an Adoption Coordinator for a parrot shelter... Let's pretend you just applied for adoption and shared with us the info you did... topics for discussions we would have (our process is all about education and hands on experience)....

First would be that a macaw seldom makes a good apartmet family member... there are a few out there, but generally speaking, they are exceptionally loud and neighbors will usually cause you problems with filing complaints and such. But, even more important you comment of wanting an independent bird... a wonderful, bonded and interactive macaw is never really independent. I have a wonderful blue and gold that picked me out as as his new mom at the shelter. I truly spend an average of 10-12 hours everyday with him... everyday of every week of every month... of course there are days when we have plans, but generally speaking, I am home 99% of the time and if I'm home, he is out and about. His independence is defined by him going off and playing and entertaining himself. However he always keeps an eye on where I am and needs to keep tabs on me. He would not be the happy outgoing and very stable bird that he is today if I worked a full time job or he spent 8-10 hours a day in the cage plus all night.

The next topic for discussion... why do you feel you need a bird to talk? Out of all the things to consider when living with a parrot talking really is so far down the priority list. Bringing home a parrot, you are literally adopting a child and they are very individual personalities. There is never a guarantee that a parrot will speak. Often they mimic sounds and such without actually saying 'words'. If you find a wonderful bird that you connect with and things are wonderful, but when you get him/her home, they decide they do not want to talk, what impact will that have on you?

Living with a parrot is so involved, its much more involved then any dog or cat, horse or elephant you could ever have! Truly and honestly they are the most intelligent young child you will ever meet, but they remain that child for life.

If you would like an apartment bird that is social, yet independent, I would suggest the conure family as one possibility. They are very closely related to macaws, so you often get all that huge bird personality in a much smaller body :)

Last edited:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Welcome. It will depend on the apartment and the bird. Research the apartments first and then look for the bird. Where I live I don't hear my neighbors.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Poicephalus and Pionus parrots are usually pretty quiet. i've had both in apartments.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
When I went to college many years ago and lived in an apartment I had a cockatiel. He wasnt loud and my neighbors never complained about him.
He could say a couple of words, but his real talent was whistling and showing off. He loved women and anytime one would come over he did his best to keep their attention.
I didnt know anything about birds back then and kept his wings clipped. He loved to ride on my shoulder and went everywhere with me.
I had him for 15 years and he was a wonderful companion.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
The novelty of having a "pretty" macaw or a "talkative" grey will wear off pretty fast. These birds make insane amounts of noise, mess, and need an incredible amount of attention to thrive. I highly suggest you stick around AA a bit longer, it'll give you a better view of what parrot ownership is really like. Right now it's pretty clear that you're not seeing the whole picture.

Jonatron5

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan
Welcome to Avian Avenue, you have found an awesome group that is super helpful, funny and friendly! Welcome to the AA family!!

I am an Adoption Coordinator for a parrot shelter... Let's pretend you just applied for adoption and shared with us the info you did... topics for discussions we would have (our process is all about education and hands on experience)....

First would be that a macaw seldom makes a good apartmet family member... there are a few out there, but generally speaking, they are exceptionally loud and neighbors will usually cause you problems with filing complaints and such. But, even more important you comment of wanting an independent bird... a wonderful, bonded and interactive macaw is never really independent. I have a wonderful blue and gold that picked me out as as his new mom at the shelter. I truly spend an average of 10-12 hours everyday with him... everyday of every week of every month... of course there are days when we have plans, but generally speaking, I am home 99% of the time and if I'm home, he is out and about. His independence is defined by him going off and playing and entertaining himself. However he always keeps an eye on where I am and needs to keep tabs on me. He would not be the happy outgoing and very stable bird that he is today if I worked a full time job or he spent 8-10 hours a day in the cage plus all night.

The next topic for discussion... why do you feel you need a bird to talk? Out of all the things to consider when living with a parrot talking really is so far down the priority list. Bringing home a parrot, you are literally adopting a child and they are very individual personalities. There is never a guarantee that a parrot will speak. Often they mimic sounds and such without actually saying 'words'. If you find a wonderful bird that you connect with and things are wonderful, but when you get him/her home, they decide they do not want to talk, what impact will that have on you?

Living with a parrot is so involved, its much more involved then any dog or cat, horse or elephant you could ever have! Truly and honestly they are the most intelligent young child you will ever meet, but they remain that child for life.

If you would like an apartment bird that is social, yet independent, I would suggest the conure family as one possibility. They are very closely related to macaws, so you often get all that huge bird personality in a much smaller body :)

hey thanks for such a well though out reply, the issues you brought up are honestly ones ive thought of myself, and I have worked out what i figure to be some reasonable solutions(although im pretty new to birding in general) as for the noise issue, if at all possible I intend to live in one of those apartments thats like a miniature house with like a 5 ft gap between your building and the next building, I think they are called duplexes. I personly prefer a little more space anyway and dont like being jammed in ontop of other people.

as for the issue of independence(obvisously, i have no idea whats typical for a bird) I figure if I work my 8 hours, come striaght home and sit on my computer(im honestly a big nerd) and play with birdie untill its bedtime. And i was thinking about not caging, but bird proofing the apartment with a few stands here and there so he/she could at least move around a bit and play with toys, and if thats still a totally unacceptable level of interaction, i would not object to getting a pair of birds so that they can keep each other company while im out.

as to why i want such a large bird, I want something thats very hands on, very cuddily, very likely to climb all over me, I grew up with cats so its just not the same if a pet is just something that sits there and looks nice.

as to the talking aspect, i do understand that alot of parrots even the famed african greys just never learn to mimic speech. But it is one of the things, that these animals are famous for, and I kind of want to see if i could train them to do it.

also one of my chief concerns is the fact that these are incredibly long lived animals, I dont want to get one when im like 30 and have the money to move into a house somewhere, becuase thats a whole 10 years down the road, and by my mind id basically be an old man by then

I appreciate all the feedback guys, i really do.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
hey thanks for such a well though out reply, the issues you brought up are honestly ones ive thought of myself, and I have worked out what i figure to be some reasonable solutions(although im pretty new to birding in general) as for the noise issue, if at all possible I intend to live in one of those apartments thats like a miniature house with like a 5 ft gap between your building and the next building, I think they are called duplexes. I personly prefer a little more space anyway and dont like being jammed in ontop of other people.

as for the issue of independence(obvisously, i have no idea whats typical for a bird) I figure if I work my 8 hours, come striaght home and sit on my computer(im honestly a big nerd) and play with birdie untill its bedtime. And i was thinking about not caging, but bird proofing the apartment with a few stands here and there so he/she could at least move around a bit and play with toys, and if thats still a totally unacceptable level of interaction, i would not object to getting a pair of birds so that they can keep each other company while im out.

as to why i want such a large bird, I want something thats very hands on, very cuddily, very likely to climb all over me, I grew up with cats so its just not the same if a pet is just something that sits there and looks nice.

as to the talking aspect, i do understand that alot of parrots even the famed african greys just never learn to mimic speech. But it is one of the things, that these animals are famous for, and I kind of want to see if i could train them to do it.

also one of my chief concerns is the fact that these are incredibly long lived animals, I dont want to get one when im like 30 and have the money to move into a house somewhere, becuase thats a whole 10 years down the road, and by my mind id basically be an old man by then

I appreciate all the feedback guys, i really do.

If you want a bird that is affectionate and will climb all over you, go with conure family... They are amazing birds, usually bond exceptionaly well to their family, love to participate in everything and remain very social.

You bring up a great point about the future... you think your job will be 8 hours, but if you are starting a serious career, you may end up working 10 plus hours a day to get ahead in your career or make yourself the valuable employee who will be next in line for promotion... what about a social life? Think you will want a family? Countless, truly countless, large birds are at A Helping Wing because they once were beloved by a single person who got married, the bird hated the spouse and viciously voiced their opinion in a bloody manner... the bird is moved to a separate room where the spouse / children are 'safe', then the bird is moved to a room upstairs or down in the basement where it is all but forgotten... its not that the people are bad, but reality is that it happens. If you find yourself with a great career, famly and kids in not too many years from now, that large bird may or may not fit into the scenario. Not that it can't be done, many people have large birds, get married, have kids and a career and the bird adapts to having a family and are social with everyone... just things to consider.

As an Adoption Coordinator, if you are thinking of getting a large bird - say Grey, Amazon, Macaw or Cockatoo, and tell us you are 'bird safing' a room and the bird will not be caged... first we will do our best not to laugh... then politely tell you that we cannot place a bird in such a situation. There is no such thing as a bird safe room unless you build a jail cell in that room. A bird cage is safe... would you child safe a room and leave a 4 year old home all day by themselves? A large parrot is literally the most intelligent 3 or 4 year old you will come across in your life. They constantly are looking how to take things apart, they know that door opens to the rest of the house... if they can't open the door, they will literally shred the door frame or door itself. There is a photo you can probably find online of two macaws with their heads sticking out from under a door frame (they chewed the bottom of the frame to make room to try to squeeze thru). But, even having a bird safe room with lots of things to do, a large bird needs their flock (and you are that flock), they need human socialization and interaction. My macaw has a cage filled with a huge variety of toys, but he literally plays with nothing while he is in his cage, even on days like yesterday (we went to a reptile show and were gone for about 5 hours), he did not play or shred any toys. But, when we got home, he came out and played / socialized. Again, not that you can't find a macaw that is happy being on their own most of the day, but that same bird is not likely to be a bird that will be super affectionate and climb all over you.

When the time comes to adopt, volunteer at a shelter nearby, spend at half a dozen weekends volunteering, working with birds, truly learning hands on about parrots and most importantly letting the right bird pick you. I tell adopters all the time to come to shelter with an open mind and heart and the right bird will pick you. I never ever ever would have believed I would have a macaw, but one picked me at the shelter and I never imagined having the relationship with a bird that I have with him.

Take things one step at a time, find the right place for you to live where you are happy... then go meet a bunch of birds. You never who you will end up with :) So often people have a preconceived image in their mind of the 'right' bird for them or have a dream bird, but reality, the right bird is the one you connect with. That bird can be any size and any color... there is a saying in the horse world - a good horse is never a bad color - that saying is even more true in the parrot world!!

Sorry for babbling on...

Jonatron5

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan
If you want a bird that is affectionate and will climb all over you, go with conure family... They are amazing birds, usually bond exceptionaly well to their family, love to participate in everything and remain very social.

You bring up a great point about the future... you think your job will be 8 hours, but if you are starting a serious career, you may end up working 10 plus hours a day to get ahead in your career or make yourself the valuable employee who will be next in line for promotion... what about a social life? Think you will want a family? Countless, truly countless, large birds are at A Helping Wing because they once were beloved by a single person who got married, the bird hated the spouse and viciously voiced their opinion in a bloody manner... the bird is moved to a separate room where the spouse / children are 'safe', then the bird is moved to a room upstairs or down in the basement where it is all but forgotten... its not that the people are bad, but reality is that it happens. If you find yourself with a great career, famly and kids in not too many years from now, that large bird may or may not fit into the scenario. Not that it can't be done, many people have large birds, get married, have kids and a career and the bird adapts to having a family and are social with everyone... just things to consider.

As an Adoption Coordinator, if you are thinking of getting a large bird - say Grey, Amazon, Macaw or Cockatoo, and tell us you are 'bird safing' a room and the bird will not be caged... first we will do our best not to laugh... then politely tell you that we cannot place a bird in such a situation. There is no such thing as a bird safe room unless you build a jail cell in that room. A bird cage is safe... would you child safe a room and leave a 4 year old home all day by themselves? A large parrot is literally the most intelligent 3 or 4 year old you will come across in your life. They constantly are looking how to take things apart, they know that door opens to the rest of the house... if they can't open the door, they will literally shred the door frame or door itself. There is a photo you can probably find online of two macaws with their heads sticking out from under a door frame (they chewed the bottom of the frame to make room to try to squeeze thru). But, even having a bird safe room with lots of things to do, a large bird needs their flock (and you are that flock), they need human socialization and interaction. My macaw has a cage filled with a huge variety of toys, but he literally plays with nothing while he is in his cage, even on days like yesterday (we went to a reptile show and were gone for about 5 hours), he did not play or shred any toys. But, when we got home, he came out and played / socialized. Again, not that you can't find a macaw that is happy being on their own most of the day, but that same bird is not likely to be a bird that will be super affectionate and climb all over you.

When the time comes to adopt, volunteer at a shelter nearby, spend at half a dozen weekends volunteering, working with birds, truly learning hands on about parrots and most importantly letting the right bird pick you. I tell adopters all the time to come to shelter with an open mind and heart and the right bird will pick you. I never ever ever would have believed I would have a macaw, but one picked me at the shelter and I never imagined having the relationship with a bird that I have with him.

Take things one step at a time, find the right place for you to live where you are happy... then go meet a bunch of birds. You never who you will end up with :) So often people have a preconceived image in their mind of the 'right' bird for them or have a dream bird, but reality, the right bird is the one you connect with. That bird can be any size and any color... there is a saying in the horse world - a good horse is never a bad color - that saying is even more true in the parrot world!!

Sorry for babbling on...
intresting, ive homestly never even considered conures, I will do some research on them.

so no offense to you or anyone here, but is like the only way to be able to have a bird, to be in a situation where i dont have to leave my home to work? be say retired? becuase yes one day i do want to get married. kids are optional in my mind, and that would be a horrible situation to put a bird into, hopefully i can find someone who is bird friendly.

i know they can be destructive little guys, and maby im just niave, but we kept a young golden lab in a house once, it was very destructive,(ruined a good sofa) but we evetually figured out how to keep it without it tearing things up too badly, through training and spending time with it to get its energy burned off, and if i can do that, i honestly think i could bird proof a home

I obviously cant read the future, but i would hope i dont have to do a 10 hour day to be successful in my career, but you guys are absolutely right, in it being something to keep in mind.

So heres my current battleplan. graduate, get a job, get a pet friendly apartment, do legitimate soul searching to see if i do have the time required for a bird.I know im commiting a sin both in practicality and perhaps in animal welfare, buy i am just in love with maccaws, there so pretty and theyre friendly and silly, i feel like i could play with one all day.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
No one should be saying you can't have a macaw...they are suggesting other options. Please consider what we say but in the end it is your decision. If you can, visit with a variety of birds before you definitely decide. And understand that sometimes the bird chooses you.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
It's just like me for example- when I first came here to the Avenue I was completely into Hyacinth macs (Then the experienced people here were able to talk sense into me haha)
but I realized there is more to having a big bird besides it talking, playing, and looking pretty. The toys, the cage, the stands, the diet, everything can be expensive.
The macs are very, very loud. (Though I think the too's beat them at that..)

Just the time and care you must put into one can be a lot- and for 50+ yrs. Even 90. You'd also have to figure out where the bird can go if you pass away- a family member that can meet the needs or a sanctuary that maybe won't adopt it out.
The big birds can also be destructive- big beaks, lots of toys to chew. Perhaps your couch- or the wall even. They will find something to entertain themselves with if they feel you aren't providing enough for them.

I ended up being picked by a 'tiel baby and now I'm owned by two adorable little tiels- they may not be big or anything but they love to cuddle, be pet, and to just hang out.
But I'm a bit biased. So another species I'd recommend if you want playful would be the Green-cheek conure, they're great little guys.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Welcome to AA , hope You will enjoy ur stay here :)

Even small birds can sit on shoulders and climb on u, i have a Meyers Parrot and he love to play with my hair. If i watch TV he sometimes sit on my head and take a nap :)

So why not consider a Meyers Parrot or Caique? Or Cockatiel ?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
No one is trying to discourage you from owning a bird love, they are just trying to help you decide on one that can better meet your needs so the bird doesn't end up re homed down the road after it has bonded to you. While they are very intelligent, they are still like toddlers and believe me, my conure acts like my 4 year old most days. Tiels make wonderful apartment birds, but if you have allergies, they can cause problems as they are very dusty. Macaws are LOUD...I would suggest seeing them in person to understand. Yes they are pretty, yes they can be affectionate, but their beaks are very destructive and wouldn't do well in a place you have a landlord as they can cause some serious damage, not just to you, but to everything in their path. That's not to say they are not great birds, but they are not apartment birds. African greys are wonderful, and independent, but they shouldn't be left alone most of the day either. I have a plum head parakeet and a crimson bellied conure. Both males, one is almost a year old, the other is 6 months. My plum head, Tuki, is independent and loves being by himself, playing with his toys, but will fly to me when he wants attention. These birds are not affectionate though. He loves kisses but hates to be touched. My Crimson belly, rio is a cuddle bug/monster. He bites ears, leaves marks, draws blood, but will snuggle and wrestle when he's in the mood. Every personality is different. Both of these birds have contact calls that can be loud, but they would also make good apartment birds. Most crave attention though, so you do have to keep that in mind. Both of mine come out from 6-8 (if they choose), from 11-12, and from 5-9 (sometimes they choose sleep earlier) but you have to keep their diet in mind. They need healthy pellets, fresh veggies, some fruit and occasional seed, mine get fruit in the morning, veggies at night, and nutriberries throughout the day. Their diet is important. There is also vet visits that are mandatory for the birds health as they can hide their diseases very well, and keep in mind the life span of some of these birds. Macaws can outlive humans. Do your research, visit rescues and other places to get an idea of what you're looking for. I researched for over a year before bringing Tuki home and about 8 months before bringing rio home and that still didn't prepare me for what I've gotten myself into. But I love my fids as much as every other family member and they give back so much, if you take the time and patience to give them. Just keep everything everyone has said in mind. No one is trying to discourage you, but rather help you instead.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
How much actual parrot experience do you have? How many have you been around and/or handled? Have you been around a screaming macaw in person? (nothing else will prepare you for that sound, believe me)

I can understand why people new to parrots seem to be so drawn to large macaws, CAGs, cockatoos and amazons. These seem to be the most well known parrot species, certainly, so what can one really expect? But the truth is there are so many other species and sub-species to get to know. There is probably one you don't even know about right now that you would love and that would work out a lot better for you than a large macaw.

As far as bird proofing your place. Doing so is probably best but leaving your bird uncaged and alone, especially for long periods of time, is not a good idea. Getting a really, really large cage or even an indoor aviary (especially if it houses a bird as big as a large macaw) is much more realistic and I think, much safer for the bird. I've seen photos of cockatoos that have chewed through walls and I can't imagine why a macaw wouldn't be able to do the same. Meaning you can't keep them out of anything, such as cabinets where you keep possibly toxic cleaning supplies or something else that would harm the bird if played with or ingested. Baby-proofing a cabinet isn't going to prevent a parrot from chewing a hole through it and they'd certainly have enough time to do so in an 8 hour work day.

Anyway, perhaps the most important question: Why a parrot?
What is it you're wanting to get out of owning one? What qualities are you looking for in an animal companion?

P.S. If you tell us the general area you live around I'm sure there are members that can suggest rescues to visit.

Jonatron5

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan
see, i sadly have not had the experience to be arround parrots at all, I desperatly want to, to see if there for me. I mean (i doubt it) but for all I know I could get around them and decide i dont like them. sadly i live in a small town and the nearest place that even has birds for sale is like 35 miles, so kind of out of the question to work or volunteer at.

one of my buddies i whent to highschool with has one, its pretty neat.

I have raised ducks and chickens all my life, so im not new to avians, just exotic avians

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Is there an Avian Vet in your area? Perhaps ask them if they know of clients that'd be glad to introduce you to their macs/greys
I remember somebody telling me to try that back when I was wanting to meet a mac.. but I ended up meeting one at the bird shop over here.

Or perhaps bird-sit for a macaw/grey? I personally haven't seen many ads for that but that's a chance...