• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrots found in Toronto on the Freeway

Solayan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I saw this story on the local news today. A guy found two little cheekies in a lane of live traffic on the Don Valley Parkway.

Plumber saves a pair of parrots on the DVP, names them Don and Valley - Toronto - CBC News

Video: Two parrots rescued from the DVP - 680 NEWS

They've had no luck finding their owner so far, but there's a phone number included in the CBC story, so hopefully if somebody is looking they'll call. Otherwise it looks like they've found a soft place to land with their rescuer.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hope he gets to keep them, the picture shows they're snuggled in.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm so glad they were found, poor babies.

I hope their home is found, and if not that they can enjoy many happy years with their rescuer. :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
poor babies how cruel to the owner.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
The poor littles must have been terrified on the highway! They are so lucky this man not only stopped to pick them up but adopted them!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Very lucky birds. So strange that they were on the road like that and that no one has come forth to claim them. I hope they have very long and happy lives And the guy found gets to keep them. He seems so attach to them already :heart:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
That was a great story! Thank you for sharing it!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
What kind of a burro's behind would do something so horrible? :yelling: :yelling: :yelling: Then again my description of the person (an extremely polite version by my standards :angry101::angry101::angry101::angry101:). I really hope he gets to keep them too. And takes them home.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Unless stolen, the owner abandoned them. Frankly, I'm surprised anyone is trying to find the "owner." If the guy who found them is prepared to provide a good home, then he should be allowed to.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am afraid they were likely dumped on the road or nearby since they were clipped. Otherwise, surely someone would be looking for them and with all the media coverage would claim them.

By the look of the pictures, the birds have claimed their plumber LOL!

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I saw this earlier- they are very lucky birdies.
I am afraid they were likely dumped on the road or nearby since they were clipped. Otherwise, surely someone would be looking for them and with all the media coverage would claim them.

By the look of the pictures, the birds have claimed their plumber LOL!
I agree.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that the plumber stopped and rescued them. Hope that no one claims them and he keeps them because it seems that they have found a wonderful new home. If someone dumped them on the road then they are #%%(&@#$&@#.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
You know, if you don't want a living creature at least surrender it to a rescue or something similar. Dumping has got to be one of the nastiests things to do, more so to birds that don't even have the ability to fly let alone survive outside.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You know, if you don't want a living creature at least surrender it to a rescue or something similar. Dumping has got to be one of the nastiests things to do, more so to birds that don't even have the ability to fly let alone survive outside.
"People" who dump animals are horses-a$$es. :atomic:

And now, a :angel3: to the person who rescued those two cuties...

Heather F

The freeway in question is at the bottom of a river valley, hence the name Don Valley Parkway, with green belt along the sides (it's a very pretty drive especially in the fall). I don't know what stretch of the highway they were found, but it's possible that they escaped out a door or window in a residential area at the top of the valley and being clipped could only flutter farther and farther from tree to tree down the slope, finally ending up at the road proper. They certainly seem to be very sweet, hand tame and well socialized birds in excellent feather, so someone apparently took good care of them until recently, and I hold out at least a little hope that they ended up there by accident and not by being literally dumped out of a vehicle.

But regardless the fellow who picked them up seems totally smitten with them, so even if there isn't a family looking for their beloved lost pets they will be doted on. Happy ending either way! :fairy:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Someone should try out reach out to him and invite him to AA - he's been turned into a bird person and is being assimilated (along the lines of the Borg from Star Trek).

And I'll try to keep the thought that they escaped but if they were my fids there'd be notices plastered right, left and center of missing fids.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
And I'll try to keep the thought that they escaped but if they were my fids there'd be notices plastered right, left and center of missing fids.
Isn't that the truth!

This whole thing reminds me of how we acquired our Zebra finches years ago. While we were at the neighborhood bar, someone came in and said there was a cage with birds sitting outside with the trash. Outside an abandoned house, along with bags of trash, sat a small rusty cage with the the finches.
Needless to say, we took them home....:)

Last edited: