• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrots and strokes - what can I do?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
It's a relief to know that your opinion is in the minority. Even my vet has not suggested euthanizing Chico... he suggested exercises. Chico is certainly not a mindless bird, you don't know him at all! :)
Owners know when their pets are in pain.

I've had those times with dogs. I believed and listened to my heart. We live with them 24/7. Who knows them the best?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I have brought in pets to my vet in the past and the first thing he would say was; "Maybe we need to talk about 'so and so's quality of life". It annoyed me. I understand where Farlie is coming from, he is just concern for the bird. But only you know your bird and if she is happy or not.You will be able to tell by looking at her eyes when she is ready to go. Right now she is fighting, and so are you. I wish you all the luck.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Owners know when their pets are in pain.

I've had those times with dogs. I believed and listened to my heart. We live with them 24/7. Who knows them the best?
Not everybody, I am afraid. Sometimes I held onto my pets, a little too long.

But this birdie still has a lot to offer, so let's wish him, and his lovely owner, the best of luck.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Fuzzy I have no advice - just wanted to say that it's very obvious that you care deeply about Chico's quality of life and are doing everything you can to support him. I think your comments would be very different if you thought Chico was in pain, distressed or suffering in any way.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Fuzzy, you know Lurch took most of 5 years to decide I was worthy of his trust and love but he got there, even though he'd still bite if offended. I'd say Chico is working his way there on his time and you'll be great friends except for the occasional corrections he thinks need to be made. He looks totally happy with his lot in life and is acting out and talking do to being happy. They certainly don't make that kind of noise or run around even though handicapped if they aren't. I lost 30 percent range of motion in my right arm after I broke basically the elbow joint in 09 and the therapy ladies made me a brace and had me doing all kinds of exercises to bring it back. They Made me wear that brace every night and every week they'd straighten it out a bit more and yep it hurt. By about 5am I'd give up and take it off because of the pain. BUT I eventually gained back most of my range of motion and was down to 3 percent loss when I was released after 4 months because it was stable, not necessarily fused together again, but stable. If you can do something similar for his feet and neck without hurting him it'd help his quality of life and being able to do bird things but he's doing great now as is and has adapted like all critters do.