• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlets?

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
I am looking for any advice/experiences you guys have had with parrotlets. I am considering getting one this summer. :) Do they get along with budgies? I would have them in separate cages. Do they bond well with their owners? What is their general personality? Thanks! :heart:

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
No for budgies....

Incredible sweet and very bonded especially as singles.

Worked with mom, dad and 3 weaningb babies to become hand friendly.... lots of blood involved, but all including parents, they became wonderful sweet and family birds. All found homes.

They are huge personalities and intelligence in tiny bodies. World of difference from budgie, but amazing little birds!!

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
They bond very well with their owners. I’ve had three males, two currently (caged separately). In general, they are very sassy and want to be part of everything! They have a big parrot personality. They are extremely intelligent and love investigating what you’re up to. They are also very sweet and cuddly. I hand tamed Milo myself and he has become quite the attention hog. He likes to sit on my hand and stare at me while I sweet talk him lol. Luka would live glued to my hand for constant cuddling if it was an option. But they can also be independent as long as you give them things to do. I have a playstand for them to hang out on while they’re out of the cage. That way they can still spend time with me if I’m doing something else. I’ve never had issues with teaching mine not to bite.

As for your budgies, they should be very closely supervised. Parrotlets are 50/50 on getting along with others (even other parrotlets). So you’ll have to be careful with any out time together. You should decide first if you’re okay with giving them separate out times if they don’t get along at all. It is a very real possibility. My current two, Milo and Luka, have to have separate out times.

Fun story of parrotlet sass
Last month, Milo and I were hanging out on the couch. He went over to my hand, leaned down to bite, stopped short, and then said “no bite no bite!”. And repeat. He teased me for like 10 minutes pretending like he was gonna bite. The little bugger :laugh: Another time he was getting scratches and I brought him closer to snuggle against my cheek. As I brought him closer, he pulled up one foot and gently tapped my face twice like “Listen, human. I love you and all that, but a bird needs space.” I pulled him away from my face and he went right back to asking for scratches :roflmao:

BeeBop

No for budgies....

Incredible sweet and very bonded especially as singles.

Worked with mom, dad and 3 weaningb babies to become hand friendly.... lots of blood involved, but all including parents, they became wonderful sweet and family birds. All found homes.

They are huge personalities and intelligence in tiny bodies. World of difference from budgie, but amazing little birds!!
They bond very well with their owners. I’ve had three males, two currently (caged separately). In general, they are very sassy and want to be part of everything! They have a big parrot personality. They are extremely intelligent and love investigating what you’re up to. They are also very sweet and cuddly. I hand tamed Milo myself and he has become quite the attention hog. He likes to sit on my hand and stare at me while I sweet talk him lol. Luka would live glued to my hand for constant cuddling if it was an option. But they can also be independent as long as you give them things to do. I have a playstand for them to hang out on while they’re out of the cage. That way they can still spend time with me if I’m doing something else. I’ve never had issues with teaching mine not to bite.

As for your budgies, they should be very closely supervised. Parrotlets are 50/50 on getting along with others (even other parrotlets). So you’ll have to be careful with any out time together. You should decide first if you’re okay with giving them separate out times if they don’t get along at all. It is a very real possibility. My current two, Milo and Luka, have to have separate out times.

Fun story of parrotlet sass
Last month, Milo and I were hanging out on the couch. He went over to my hand, leaned down to bite, stopped short, and then said “no bite no bite!”. And repeat. He teased me for like 10 minutes pretending like he was gonna bite. The little bugger :laugh: Another time he was getting scratches and I brought him closer to snuggle against my cheek. As I brought him closer, he pulled up one foot and gently tapped my face twice like “Listen, human. I love you and all that, but a bird needs space.” I pulled him away from my face and he went right back to asking for scratches :roflmao:
Thank you guys for the info! Jen, what makes you say no with budgies? I understand they aren’t the same species but I would like if they could spend some time together. GracefulWolf.. I love that you say they are cuddly! I wish my birds were more hands-on.

BeeBop

Also... I just read in the good the bad and the ugly forum that they are prone to plucking/feather picking. Does anybody have anything to say about that? How do you prevent it? I would hate to have a bird that plucks, I would feel so bad!! :(

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Diet and sleep are the biggest parts. If you feed an all seed diet and they get less than 12 hours of sleep at night, then you’re going to have problems. They need lots of veggies, a good pellet like Roudybush or Zupreem, and then some good seed like Lafeber nutriberries. Ideally, they would get 50-60% veggies, 30-40% pellets and 10% seed. Everyone has slightly different numbers but those are what I try to do. 12 hours of sleep every night along with lots of shreddable toys will help keep their hormones in check. I’ve never had any of mine pluck.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I had a Male pacific Parrotlet that lived to be almost 16. He never plucked ever. If they are given the ample foraging and shredder toys and light woods such as balsa they will be busy. The diet plays a huge role into the longevity of them. All seed diets are BAD. A mix is seed, cooked mashes are best. Legumes and small hookbill blends like the Australian Blend by Goldenfeast are good, also EGG FOOD very healthy for the littles.

Accidents in homes and other pets cost many parrotlets a short lived existence. If you want to mix species, I would not. I would tell you to have a pair of them. My parrotlet was a solo bird, a happy little guy for all of his life with me.

They are awesome, I miss having one bad! I will eventually add another one in the future.

BeeBop

Diet and sleep are the biggest parts. If you feed an all seed diet and they get less than 12 hours of sleep at night, then you’re going to have problems. They need lots of veggies, a good pellet like Roudybush or Zupreem, and then some good seed like Lafeber nutriberries. Ideally, they would get 50-60% veggies, 30-40% pellets and 10% seed. Everyone has slightly different numbers but those are what I try to do. 12 hours of sleep every night along with lots of shreddable toys will help keep their hormones in check. I’ve never had any of mine pluck.
Thank you. Are they normally good about eating veggies? Do you know any of their favorites? I am asking because my budgies (and seemingly most others) love lettuce/leafy greens so was wondering if there was something specific to parrotlets too.

BeeBop

I had a Male pacific Parrotlet that lived to be almost 16. He never plucked ever. If they are given the ample foraging and shredder toys and light woods such as balsa they will be busy. The diet plays a huge role into the longevity of them. All seed diets are BAD. A mix is seed, cooked mashes are best. Legumes and small hookbill blends like the Australian Blend by Goldenfeast are good, also EGG FOOD very healthy for the littles.

Accidents in homes and other pets cost many parrotlets a short lived existence. If you want to mix species, I would not. I would tell you to have a pair of them. My parrotlet was a solo bird, a happy little guy for all of his life with me.

They are awesome, I miss having one bad! I will eventually add another one in the future.
Thank you. I notice you didn't mention pellets, do you think I could do a diet without them? That's what I am doing with my budgies, I would kind of prefer to stick with it.

So is it better to just not introduce them? I would like if they could play together but if it doesn't work out that's fine too.. Also what price are they typically at? breeder vs. pet store price? I have been reading they are in the $150-$300 range?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I had a female parrotlet. I think I got her when I was around 14. She was the nippiest bird I have ever had. She loved me, loved being on me, but loved making me bleed even more. I tried ignoring it bit that's kinda hard to do when she was heaving off my flesh. I have heard from many people that male parrotlets make better pets.

She loved one of my budgies and hated the other one. After the one ahe hated died, I tried housing them together. After a month or so, though, she began to bully the budgie and they had to be separated. They still enjoyed time together out of the cage every day.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I would say that you can introduce them and see how they interact but don't ever plan on housing them together.

BeeBop

@Matto thank you for your comments. I will not be housing them together, but I will see if they get along enough to play together. I notice you said your bird was nippy, is that pretty common?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, parrotlets are often nippy.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I didn’t ever let mine out with small birds at first. Now I do. Star likes to sit by the cockatiel girls. Skittles doesn’t care about any bird except a caique, who he hates and wants to bite. He is fine with finches and canaries. Even find him In Their cages occasionally- pretending he’s one of them.
I’ve had 4. They haven’t plucked. Skittles came to me on 100% pelleted diet. Now he eats everything. Kale, sweet potato, and corn and peas are his favorites.

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Once you get them to start eating veggies, then it’s pretty easy to get them try new ones. My boys will eat radishes and the greens, collard greens, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, cauliflower, butternut squash, cooked sweet potato, bell peppers, sweet peppers, habanero peppers, and snap peas. They really need pellets as a supplement to the veggies, and honestly one bag of Zupreem lasts me 3-4 months so it’s not expensive :D

I have never seen one at a pet store, so I’m not sure on pet store prices. Breeders base price on color first then on sex. Males are always more than females since males tend to talk. Greens are cheapest around 150. Then yellows and blues. Then whites and turquoises. The pied colors are most expensive and can get to be 350-400. I got my yellow on discount at 125 since he was the last of the clutch and she wanted him gone quick. I got my blue for 175 and my turquoise pied was 350.

I’ve never had problems teaching mine not to bite :smuggrin:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am not sure that I like that :( Do you know of ways to avoid that?
Training, just like you'd do with any other bird. My first and second ones didn't bite ever, at all.

Skittles is my 3rd and he gets nippy but he knows 'no' and 'gentle beak' and is good to obey. He also knows perch and go to your cage, lol, if he forgets and bites again. They're just little pinches though. Not full out bites.

Star is #4 and she is still afraid of everything. She doesn't come near me. :(

You know, if I had read the descriptions of parrotlets in general I might have never gotten one. Watch some youtube videos and see what you think. Their feisty, bossy little attitude suits me perfectly!

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you. I notice you didn't mention pellets, do you think I could do a diet without them? That's what I am doing with my budgies, I would kind of prefer to stick with it.

So is it better to just not introduce them? I would like if they could play together but if it doesn't work out that's fine too.. Also what price are they typically at? breeder vs. pet store price? I have been reading they are in the $150-$300 range?
I missed that part of pellets! Yes mine was from a breeder back in 1999 he was $125. He was weaned onto Zupreem fruitblend. I transitioned him to Harrison's. High potency superfine, then

Forgot his breeder weaned him onto Zupreem fruitblend. I eventually transitioned him onto Harrison's high potency super fine then adult lifetime fine. As he aged, I really did most cooked foods.

He was $125 back in 1999. Diet will for sure give you longevity with them and any bird.

Mixing of species can be tough even same sized birds. Plets are very feisty , fun and tough.

Great little birds they are!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Also... I just read in the good the bad and the ugly forum that they are prone to plucking/feather picking. Does anybody have anything to say about that? How do you prevent it? I would hate to have a bird that plucks, I would feel so bad!! :(
As long as the bird has a great diet (sprouted seed, fruits and veggies, pellets, seed, grain, etc), multiple toys (foraging, shreddable, preening, and any other fun toys), and gets enough attention and sleep, you should have one happy and healthy bird. This all applies to every parrot.

BeeBop

As long as the bird has a great diet (sprouted seed, fruits and veggies, pellets, seed, grain, etc), multiple toys (foraging, shreddable, preening, and any other fun toys), and gets enough attention and sleep, you should have one happy and healthy bird. This all applies to every parrot.
Thank you! That sets me at ease :)