• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlets sudden death

Caerus the gcc

Sitting on the front steps
Hello, this is a weird and sad topic but I wanted to know a little more. I recently adopted 2 male parrotlets, a week and a half ago actually. But they both passed away suddenly. The first one a couple days ago, and the other one today. I am really saddened by this as I was excited to have parrotlets in my life. I'm wondering what could have caused this? I heard parrotlets are know to suddenly die fairly often. Is this true? And is there a real reason? I would love to adopt another parrotlet, but I don't want anymore heart break as I also lost my beloved Green cheek conure 2 months ago

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry for your losses. Did you have any of the birds necropsied? Sometimes that is helpful in determining why a bird has passed. There could be something that is in your home that caused the issue. Evaluate things you are using in the home (cleaning solutions, fragrances, etc.) and what you are feeding. It's possible that your conure might have had something that is still in the environment and that could have affected the parrotlets. Did you contact the place where you got the parrotlets?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you know how your conure died?

Do you use any types of cleaners or items with added fragrance? Any new appliances in the house? Any use of teflon? There are so many possibilities but with 3 deaths in such a short time span I would look at the environment and make sure it is 100% safe before bringing more birds in.

as @iamwhoiam mentioned, a vet may be able to determine cause of death.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
2 sudden deaths so close together points towards something environmental or a very contagious disease. I would lean towards the first one.

It could be anything without knowing any history/background/situation.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The stress and anxiety of being uprooted (whole new world) can cause many underlying issues to surface.

What did your conure die of?

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
I’m really sorry your parrotlets passed away

Caerus the gcc

I was cuddling my conure and I fell asleep and somehow crushed her, she definitely wasn't the cause. The parrotlets where being picked on by canarys in an aviary, so I adopted them. My other 4 birds are fine so I doubt it's any cookware or fragrance. I don't have their bodies so can't take them to see what happened, but I might take one of my other 4 birds to the vet soon to be tested for anything. Once the roads aren't icy and snowy

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do contact the place where you got the parrotlets from and let them know.
Good idea to have one or more of your other birds tested.

Last edited:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
IMHO I would take all 4 to the avian vet. If one is only taken and test results are okay, that's not to say the others will be negative too, they may be sick or a carrier of something. I am sure its going to be expensive but you might want to ask about Care Credit at the vets.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry about your GCC and parrotlets, and I hope your other birds stay healthy.
:sadhug2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was cuddling my conure and I fell asleep and somehow crushed her, she definitely wasn't the cause. The parrotlets where being picked on by canarys in an aviary, so I adopted them. My other 4 birds are fine so I doubt it's any cookware or fragrance. I don't have their bodies so can't take them to see what happened, but I might take one of my other 4 birds to the vet soon to be tested for anything. Once the roads aren't icy and snowy

Ahh sorry, I didn't know the story with your GCC (very sorry for your loss :( ) or the rest of your flock.

Were the parrotlets quarantined? Was there something different in that part of the house that your flock wasn't subjected to?

Caerus the gcc

Sadly the parrotlets weren't quarantined. My mom has a dog so the only safe place for birds in the apartment is my room. Plus I keep my birds flighted and I don't trust my mom to be safe with them outside of my room. I'm going to really be kicking myself if something happens because of not quarantining. Although the rest of the flock are acting as normal, playing, talking and being themselves. I wish I had the money to take all 4 to the vet but I can hardly take 1

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your losses.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I am so sorry for the loss of your friends. I cannot imagine how I would feel if one of mine died. One got lost and my heart still aches for him so much. I still cannot through his toys away. I don't let anyone else play with them just in case. I have two parrotlets who are pretty healthy per the vet.

The first thing I do when I get a new family member is take them to the vet immediately. They are quarantined for 30 days so no contact with any other bird in my home. I will wash my hands before and after handling the new bird. Once the vet gives us a thumbs up, they stay in quarantine for 30 days. No excuses and no exceptions.

No one gets to touch the new family member without washing hands. We wash our hands constantly as we also have chickens that are outside. So I have a large rain suit that covers me down to my angles and a hood that ties so I don't get anything on my clothes when I touch them. I also wear disposable gloves when I handle them and their eggs and their nest. We take off all of our clothes in the garage and hang them then wash our hands before entering the house to even think of touching our birds. Salmonella can kills parrots instantly.

We also have kept all of our birds in the bird room where the temperature is at a constant 78-80 and humidity at 40%. All foods give are Roudybush crumble, fresh dark or purple veggies, and some fruit and little seed.

Because Parrotlets are so tiny, even something minor can affect them. My parrotlets are very heathy. I believe Diablo was feeling under the weather a little so I had him sit closer to the humidifier so he'd get some extra moisture for whatever was ailing him. Now he's back to his territorial self again being king of the birds' room.

It sounds like your birds were sick before you got them or they were exposed to something in the environment that was dangerous. You would be surprised, candles, air fresheners, perfume, etc. are all killers. Especially teflon!! That's very poisonous and is in almost everything!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am so sorry for your losses.

Please monitor your other birds for any signs of trouble.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm so sorry for your losses. Do you by chance burn candles in your room? Or use air freshener? Just trying to think of something that would cause two deaths.

They could also have been ill. It is very weird, by the way, for parrotlets to be house with canaries and also for them to be PICKED ON by canaries! Usually it's the other way round!

Good luck as you move forward with your flock.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I'm so sorry for your losses. Do you by chance burn candles in your room? Or use air freshener? Just trying to think of something that would cause two deaths.

They could also have been ill. It is very weird, by the way, for parrotlets to be house with canaries and also for them to be PICKED ON by canaries! Usually it's the other way round!

Good luck as you move forward with your flock.

I also agree with this, when I read it at first I thought I misread it. Usually the parrotlets are the bossy ones. I always like to say they have "short man syndrome". Honestly to me it sounds like they had a disease. I would be worried about environmental but if they were in the same room as your other birds and the rest are fine I don't think it's environmental, could be but not likely.

I would have all of your birds to an avian vet to be tested. As someone who lost almost an entire flock due to bringing another bird in and there being nothing I could do about it once the rest started dropping, trust me its worth it to go in. In the future if anything like this happens again I highly recommend a necropsy to be done, this hopefully will give you answers as to why the birds died.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I believe everyone here are all experts at what they speak of. I've been here reading what they say and because they have the different experiences all contributing, they are almost always correct.

My parrotlets rule the room. They don't care if you are ten or 100 times bigger. I've seen my carmen do a show down with Lucky my Yorkie who wanted to be friends with her but he doesn't read bird language and her language was wings flared, head low and I'd never seen her beak open that wide before. It looked like JAWS!!! Even Lucky got scared and started whining. I laughed and picked her up. She pecked me hard for allowing her to even be in that situation!

Diablo is not as bossy because Carman is the boss and he knows it too. Between the both, we have a lion/lioness situation. They've never ever once been mellow. They are attackers. If someone who doesn't know them gets close, she will dive you and attack!!!

I do believe your birds may have been ill. It doesn't sound like my parrotlets who are trouble makers. LOL

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am sorry for your loss