• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlets N Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdx2phx

Moving in
Hi all!

I've had wonderful, naughty & sweet parrotlets for years, and just started keeping chickens this past spring. We have three hens (New Hampshire, Gold Laced Wyandotte and a bantam Mille Fleur D'Uccle). The NM & GLW have both started laying but the MFD hasn't yet (her eggs will be teeny!!) :)

We went a little nuts, and have 26 chicks from Ideal poultry that will be a month old in 3 days....we're waiting to see which turn out to be pullets vs cockerels....:shrug: we ordered all bantams......frizzles, old english, sultans, japanese, americauna, MFDs, brahmas and silver laced sebrights!

Anyway, it's nice to have a new place for poultry! After having parrots my whole life I wasn't sure what chickens would be like, and I have to say they are a complete riot. Ours free range during the day in our suburban desert block wall backyard, and follow us around 'talking' and looking for treats. A couple of them like to sit in laps, and when the 3 older ones were young they used to like to "shoulder roost" :rofl:

Carmenellie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Yikes! Haha! Once they start laying, you are going to have soooo many eggs! :) My mom has 20 hens, and every day they pick up about 18 eggs, though they had to stop because when I visited, they had 8 dozen in one fridge, 4 dozen in another, and another 7 dozen sitting in buckets layered with straw in the laundry room, aging a bit so they would boil nicely. I went out to the barn to go gather some to take home and I found 60 eggs! (all passed the candle and float test- they were all good eggs.)
lol. Then again you have the mini chickens, so maybe you'll have an easier time using those eggs.

tibanks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tina
I'm a parrot loving chicken keeper too. We have 6 and we really enjoy having them around in the yard, not to mention the fresh eggs we get. I enjoy keeping mainly bantams, with the exception of one polish hen who happens to be my fav. We live in the city so were pretty limited to how many we can have, but if we were country living I could see where chicken keeping could become a obsession.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am also a parrot loving chicken keeper. We have had chickens for close to 10 years.

cece4

Strolling the yard
I didnt realize we had chicken lovers here too.I love love my hens.They are so fun to watch..We used to have 4 but only have 3 now.I technically live in town so I can only have a few and no roosters.But across the street is out of town so we just barely missed being able to have a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.