• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlets and Lovebirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsey

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lindsey
Hey!!!
I am torn...
I have fallen for parrotlets and lovebirds... would they make good cagemates??? or are they just too different? How loud are the parrotlets? Its going to be at least four or five months before I am in a position to have either...
I love that the parrotlet is a big bird in a little bird's body, and they have the ability to talk ((I know all birds dont talk, Kykah, my too doesnt talk))... but I also love how affectionate a lovebird can be...but I dont want to have just one or the other...I want to have a buddy for them when Im at work. SO... waht are your thoughts...
thanks so much!

ParrotletPal

Walking the driveway
I own a parrotlet and he is very quiet. I also own a linnie and a cockatiel and they are both louder than the parrotlet. I am not sure if caging a parrotlet and another bird is a good idea. Parrotlets can be very bossy ... and will bite the toes of other birds - sometimes injuring them. My parrotlet and linnie get along fabulously often going back and forth between cages; however, I do have separate cages for them in case things get hormonal or the parrotlet gets moody. I can't speak for lovebirds as I've never owned one. I can only say that whenever I've heard them they can be quite loud.

I would highly recommend the parrotlet. I had one before this one and they are great little birds. My last one did not have any other birds in the house when I had her and she seemed quite fine without another feathered companion.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
I've never had parrotlets, but I have a lovebird and can tell you that she is VERY bossy. I don't think that I would cage her with a smaller bird. As a matter a fact, my tiel wouldn't even be safe with her, and she's twice her size. My lovie is very sweet to me, though. :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have a parrotlet and would never house her with antother bird as she rules her roost! She is out at the same time with Dozer my grey cheek, but I have to watch them carefully as she can be a little overbearing and scare Dozer, lol

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I have 2 lovebirds that are caged together. But i would NOT recommending caging a lovie with another species. My lovies (both) are extremely strong headed and bossy. If not watched constantly, theyll pick on every single bird i have (even my goffins!!!). They have no idea what size they are.

Mine are not cuddly, but they do give kisses and LOVE to ride around on my shoulder and hide in my shirt. They dont allow me to pet them but will always step up. Not sure if it was how they were raised, but both were raised by different breeders.

Ive never had a plet (my husband would NOT put out paying that much for a bird that size :lol:) but my lovies are LOUD. Hollllyyyy cow. They have such a loud high pitch chirp, and when they both get started, i can hear them thru my townhouse complex walls!! My quakers and Too can scream, but it seems like its the lovies chirps that make it the furthest being so high pitch!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Allessa may be you can find a rehomed Parrotlet! That is how i got Kiwi.

Kiwi is pretty quiet..a lot of constant chattering but it is not loud. I love her sounds.

spookylicorice

Meeting neighbors
I was once debating between getting a parrotlet and lovebird, and eventually decided on a parrotlet because they are much quieter. I sleep in the same room as my parrotlet and even when she's trying it's difficult for her to wake me up. Her little peeps are ADORABLE, though. :)

Anyways, each bird is an individual and has their own personality--don't get a parrotlet assuming they will have a big personality or a lovebird assuming they will be affectionate. It took my parrotlet more than six months to show any kind of energy or personality, and she's still very low-key. As for wanting them to have company while you're home I think it's a better idea to keep them in separate cages, both to prevent any territorial issues, problems with breeding/bonding, and to know they're both safe while you're away. From what I understand it's much harder to socialize or tame two birds who live together because they become each others' flock and will take longer to accept you as one of them. Good luck!

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
I have both a parrotlet and a lovebird. Both are VERY tame and bonded to me. If given the chance to be together, however, I have no doubt serious injury, or even death, would occur for one of them, probably the parrotlet. My lovie is very rough in his play and my parrotlet is VERY aggressive towards other birds. They could never be caged together and even interacting outside the cages would be dangerous for them, so I never let them do it.

My lovie is much louder than my parrotlet, and he is also much more mischievous. AND, he is VERY needy. He would love to have 24/7 attention from me if he could. The parrotlet, however, is very quiet, easily entertains himself inside the cage when he needs to, and loves to sit with me and cuddle, for as long as I will let him. The lovie is far too active and curious to stay still for cuddles, but loves to climb all over me and explore and get into trouble.

They are very different birds. Each one is a fantastic pet by themselves, but neither could ever share a cage with the other.

Good luck in your decision. That is a tough choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.