• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet Vs Linnie

Which bird is best for my lifestyle?

• Pair of Linnies

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Single Parrotlet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ppcrn

Checking out the neighborhood
Help convince me! I am getting a bird and narrowed it down to two options; I will either get a linnie pair or a single parrotlet. But after tons of research, I cant decide! My husband and I work 9-5 and have a baby on the way. I have had birds before but never a parrot of any kind. I have found breeders who hand feed and hand tame both and I have no problem giving the birds free time around the house or on my shoulder each evening.

So, with my lifestyle and time I would spend with the birds, which bird should I get? Which is more fun? More trainable? Easier to clean? More able to speak? More cuddly? I know parrotlets can be more nippy or favor a single family member more than others, but can this be trained away?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi! I have a single Linnie that is 11 months old today. Read some of my posts in the Linnie section and you will see that I am a total Linnie cheerleader. Gigi is a wonderful girl, as I said in a post a few days ago- she's sweet, smart, cute and has just the right amount of big parrot sass. Linnies have big watery poops but that is not an issue as she poops over a paper towel when I ask or returns to her play gym or cage to go. I haven't been pooped on in months. She does many trick whistles and really funny noises like laser sounds, but no words yet. She loves to play with toys, biting and manipulating, super cute to watch. She has a great step up and loves to spend time on my shoulder and lap. She preens my hair but isn't what I would call a cuddly bird. She was clipped as a baby and recently has gotten most of her flights feathers back. So now she flies! She needs more practice but it's so fun to watch. She is buzzing all around. I am retired so I spend a lot of time with her and have really brought out the best in her. In more than 40 years I've had many birds, big and small, and I think Linnies are awesome!

So I have no opinion on a pair of Linnies but there are some on the board. I have never had a parrotlet. I think they are so adorable but I've heard they can be a bit aggressive, but I have no personal experience.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think either species really talks. I think linnies are more hands off birds. However, they may be easier to manage with a new baby on the way. Parrotlets are adorable but can be feisty. And they are quick. I would be nervous honestly have a tiny parrotlet around a toddler. (I know you're not at the toddler stage yet but will be. ) And congrats on the baby on the way.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think either species really talks. I think linnies are more hands off birds. However, they may be easier to manage with a new baby on the way. Parrotlets are adorable but can be feisty. And they are quick. I would be nervous honestly have a tiny parrotlet around a toddler. (I know you're not at the toddler stage yet but will be. ) And congrats on the baby on the way.
I have never had my Linnie out with my grandchildren, 14, 9, 7 and 5. Gigi is super excited to see them and she chirps and paces on the bottom of her cage when they are here, to get to their level. But I just wouldn't be comfortable with her out of the cage with them. Not because of any biting, I think she's just too little and it's an accident waiting to happen. Anyway I bring this up to say that I had a cockatiel when my kids were little. Every night after dinner we had quality time with Aja. I took her out of the cage and we passed her back and forth between us. She was a sweet girl and my kids loved her and treated her very carefully. Have you considered a cockatiel? It's a bigger bird, yet often so gentle and sweet.

Mama Kirs

Strolling the yard
I've had 2 parrotlets. One was absolutely not aggressive. The other one however was a different story. He was a rehomed bird, and the first period he was here he saw no problem in attacking my then 2 year old daughter. Sadly he died pretty soon after we got him so I can't tell whether that behaviour would have changed. I can say that he was extremely tame...must have been hand raised. And very cute. My first one became tame as well, but that all ended when he fell in love with a budgie. He then forgot all about me. No experience with Linnies. But they sure are cute too. Are you btw sure now is a good time for you to have a bird join your household....with the baby on the way I mean? Good luck on descision making!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I would probably go with a linnie. They're less aggressive and dominating. They're laid back and, imo great for families. They can also be great talkers.