• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet behaviors and meanings?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
I'm new to parrotlet keeping and noticed that my little girl will sometimes have thirty or so second fits of loud shrill chirping and speeding around her cage.

I don't understand this and this made me realize I am not very familiar with hookbills and parrots, and I was wondering if I could get a list of some behaviors and body language so I can better understand her in the future?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Does she look tense whole doing it at all? Sometimes my birds hear an ambulance(sometimes it takes a minute or two before I can hear it too though) and then they fly around the room making sounds. It was mostly my cockatiel who did this, and I have never lived with a Parrotlet but Maybe she also hears Something outside?

Sherrie

Meeting neighbors
It is one way they get attention.

Toots does that when I've upset her somehow or if there is something she doesn't like. What bugs her is not what one would expect. She does it, for example, when I brush my hair near where she can see me. If I've been working from home all day, my desk is adjacent to her cage, and walk away, she is NOT happy. Of course, and a lot of other Parrotlet Parents may tell you this, she DOES NOT like the sound of a plastic bag crunching near her. Go figure.

It occurs to me too though, that she also bounces and chirps like crazy if I am eating something she wants a bite of or she wants to come out for a visit or for playtime.

Music1962

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sandy barrett
Mine is still adjusting it's only been two weeks, I do know that she like to go camping with me. There is more stimulation at camp. At home it's only her and I.

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
you were given some really great answers!
this video has a very thorough explanation on avian body language
this is also very nice featuring a GCC

Music1962

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sandy barrett
Ha ha ,I put a strawberry in her food bowl, she did the maniquin challenge until I took it away.
Did I just witness a tamtrum .