• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet Behavior Question

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Shelby has been playing with a certain toy in a certain way.
She gets on it, rubs on it, and bobbles back and forth. I'm not real knowledgable about their sexual behavior. But the behavior I see Shelby doing is similar to what I've seen other male parrots do. I've been under the impression that shes a female, this info coming from the breeder.
Any information regarding this display is appreciated!
20180621_095520.jpg

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
That's sexual behavior from what you've described, but I can't tell you for sure if that's something a female would do or not since my female parrotlet never did much flirting, it is something a male parrotlet would do for sure though. It seems like Lutinos are a bit harder to sex since they don't have the visual cue, might have a boy on your hands? But I'd wait and see if anyone can confirm their female parrotlets don't act like that.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
My female parrotlet definitely did the bobble-rub-flirt thing from time to time with certain beloved toys. If it ever started getting to the point of looking 'too serious', I would pull the toy in question, though. Mostly it just seemed like an 'ahhh I love you taco!' kind of thing, and not true 'attempting to mate' behavior.

Parrotlets - males and females - have a particular quirk to them, usually called the 'wiggle-neck dance' (you can see videos of it on youtube), often followed by regurgitation - definitely a sign of them getting "too attached". Unless they're a freak like my girl was and do the wiggle-neck dance as a crop-adjustment when eating. :rolleyes:

Known Space

Meeting neighbors
Females can do it too. Mine did it today. And yeah, it's sexual. She also occasionally does her wiggle, but doesn't actually regurgitate anything.

I actually wouldn't necessarily worry too much about them mate-bonding when they do it. My parrotlet does it to both me and my girlfriend, so I think it can be behavior that was reapproriated as flocking behavior in captivity. If she were to do any of these to you, then I would just go away from her to discourage it.