• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Parrot Sick :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

malstron

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all, Im looking for some help here. I have had a parrot for 19 years AF Gray, I went out Sunday morning the Parrot was fine but when I was eating my dinner I realised it wasn't going mad in the cage wanting some of my Sunday dinner, I looked in the cage and it was just sat on floor. I got it out of the cage real easy as she usually doesn't like been picked up but she let me ge her out. she sat on a towel on my knee for over 3 hrs without moving just breathing, to be honest i was stroking her to which I thought she was going to die. about 5 hrs later she decided to move a little so I put her on the floor with her food bowl, she struggled but got on the bowl and eat a little food then drank a little. since yesterday she has been sat on the bowl, she has claimbed up the cage once but I helped her back down and when she stands on her bowl she is very unsteady rocking side to side, looks very sleepy all the time I would describe it as energyless. Any1 any Idea's ? to me it look energyless and injured but cant think where, its head looks a little droupy and and its off balance.

Any help would be appreciated Thanks.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
She needs to get to the vet right now. Do you have an avian vet or can we help you find one?

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Post your city and state and we can find a vet near you ASAP. I hope your baby will be alright.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
If you do not live in the US, we can still help you find a vet.

In the meantime, keep your grey nice and warm, also hydrated.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I agree with everyone else. Birds don't show signs they are sick until they are really really sick, so if your Grey has been ill for a while then chances are she's very very ill. Please get her to the vet right away.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Please post where you are so we can help you find a avian vet... This forum helped save the life of my little cockatiel Mikey...

malstron

Checking out the neighborhood
Live in Hartlepool,
North East Of England,
I Will be taking her tomorrow soon as I get back off my night shift at work :-(

Last edited:

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina
Hope your baby will be ok! Will pray for her. What's her name?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm glad you will be taking her to the vet tomorrow. In the meantime it would be beneficial to set up her cage as a 'hospital cage':
Tent up 3 sides and top of her cage, put a heating pad set on low under one side under the cage on one side. Put all her perches, food and water dishes low so she doesn't have to expend much energy getting to them.

She needs to stay hydrated so I would mix her water 50/50 with clear pedylite to keep her electrolytes up. If she isn't drinking try dripping a little off your finger into her beak.

If she's still not eating and drinking you can smear a little corn syrup on her beak to bring her energy level up.

It is advisable if at all possible to get her in to be seen tonight. They hide their illnesses and she may take a turn for the worse very quickly.

Last edited:

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
Live in Hartlepool,
North East Of England,
I Will be taking her tomorrow soon as I get back off my night shift at work :-(
She may not make it that long. You should get her in ASAP!

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Please call the vet now. Let them tell you whether it's safe to wait til tomorrow. I'm willing to bet they will want to see her right away. Like I said, once they're showing symptoms they're already way past just a little sick. Their instinct is to hide illness until they can't hide it anymore and by then it may be too late. Please don't wait.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
It looks like she is working on her night shift now and will take her when the shift is over, which is tomorrow.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I agree with Heather. If she can get off tonight just to get her in now I think it would be better. She can drop her off and then go back to work. Does your vet take in emergencys?

Ginger

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any updates on the little one?

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Bump...any updates? Still praying for you and your Grey!

Status
Not open for further replies.