• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot Noise Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willison

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
William
I've found that there are a lot of questions regarding the noise levels of different species of parrot. I think it would be beneficial to a lot of people if we made a list of the major groups of parrots from loudest to quietest. Mind you, this is not saying that "Oh, my parrot is very loud but only vocalizes once or twice a day," it is talking about the sheer volume of the bird. This means that even if your parrot only vocalizes very few times a day but is still loud, it will still be considered a 'loud' bird.

Also keep in mind that all birds are individuals and may be louder or quieter than other members of the same species or group.

Here's my take on the loudest to the quietest of the parrot groups are. I would appreciate your help in making this list as accurate as possible, so please tell me if there needs to be any re-arranging done or if I forgot a group. Chances are, that there will need to be some serious re-arranging done, but that's what having your input is for. :)
  1. Cockatoos
  2. Large Macaws
  3. Electus Parrots
  4. Mini-Macaws
  5. Amazon Parrots
  6. Patagonian Conures, Nanday Conures
  7. Aratinga Conures (Sun Conure, Peach Front, Blue Crown, etc.)
  8. African Grey Parrots
  9. Lories/Lorikeets
  10. Ringneck Parakeets
  11. Quaker Parrots
  12. Lovebirds
  13. Caiques
  14. Cockatiels
  15. Poicephalus Parrots
  16. Pyrrhura Conures (Green Cheek, Maroon-Bellied, Painted, etc.)
  17. Budgies
  18. Pionus Parrots
  19. Parrotlets

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think a Cockatiel is quieter then a GCC, Maroon-Bellied, etc, as far as noise capability.

ShirleyBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cimber
Lol. Ringnecks are a 7? Wow I know they're a bit loud but a 7 loud. Lol. I guess being I haven't been around anything else besides finches, I didn't really know how loud they were. Great list, very helpful. :)

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
my green cheek is incredibly loud. she only vocalizes for about 10 minutes a day, but when she does it near me, my eardrums vibrate, and sometimes have a sharp pain in them. from what little i know, i believe that green cheeks are definitely louder than cockatiels.

also, i thought cockatoos would be at the top of this list.

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
lorikeets need to be on there! :p and they need to be near ringnecks and aratinga conures, lol!

Willison

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
William
Made some changes. Does it look better now?
I didn't put cockatoos at the top because I've been around some U2s and some GWM and the macaw was near deafening when it wanted to be. I'll put cockatoos at the top if I get some more evidence that they are louder than the big macaws, however.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think you can move the Ekkies right up there with the Cockatoos...while they don't tend to be loud most of the time, when they are, it's ear splitting!:)

I also think that Amazons and greys are pretty comparable. Greys have this high pitched beep that can be very bad and when they really want your attention, they may not scream per se, but they can talk very, very loudly!:)

I think that putting general groups in a list like this is going to be hard. I currently live with a DYHA female who is quite quiet but I'm sure that some Amazons can be incredibly loud. Do I just have an exception?

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well you do not obviously live with budgies and tiels...it is decibel 100 in here sometimes..ever heard a tiel scream??????? yeah..ask some of the macaw owners on here..one lady has a couple of macaws and a couple of tiels and she finds the tiels much louder and more..oh, irritating....

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Made some changes. Does it look better now?
I didn't put cockatoos at the top because I've been around some U2s and some GWM and the macaw was near deafening when it wanted to be. I'll put cockatoos at the top if I get some more evidence that they are louder than the big macaws, however.
They say that M2s are as loud as a DC747, is that loud enough for you? I think that Cockatoos have more of a propensity to be louder longer than the Macaws who tend to be more on the mellow side. I definitely would put Cockatoos first but it will also vary with species. Of course, I live with a D2 who is hell on wheels when it comes to screaming...easily my loudest bird but not to be outdone by my Eclectus.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jen your zon sounds alot like Hiram.He's mostly a talker or singer.But he does have his moments... when Hiram sounds off its very loud.:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Jen your zon sounds alot like Hiram.He's mostly a talker or singer.But he does have his moments... when Hiram sounds off its very loud.:)
You know, even when Amarillo is really going to town, she's no match for the 'toos or Cooper SIE. She's just not a very loud bird but I have a feeling that she may be the exception to the Amazon rule...I'm sure none of it has to do with the fact that she's a RAG!:)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Nothing could drown out the noise from Chaz beginning and end of his day. It only lasts ten mins tops but until he stops forget about hearing anything else. :D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great info. A lot of loudness depends on the perception of the owner, and the individual bird. And, it can be hard to shake people from their perceptions, especially when they've never actually been around a parrot that's "officially" loud and not merely subjectively so. However, there is one pretty well documented fact about parrot volume--everything I've read on the topic puts the Moluccan cockatoo as the loudest parrot in the world. I do think that, overall, in a home setting, most species of macs give most species of 'toos a run for their money in decibels, but "officially" the Moluccan is the loudest at 135 decibels. Here's one source that makes that claim, usually attributed to work done at the San Diego Zoo, but there are others; I just happened to find this one on a quick search: Parrots as Pet Birds: Macaws, Cockatoos, Cockatiels and Lovebirds | Suite101.com. And, here's a chart to compare that 135 number with common noise levels:

Environmental Noise
Weakest sound heard
0dB
Whisper Quiet Library
30dB
Normal conversation (3-5')
60-70dB
Telephone dial tone
80dB
City Traffic (inside car)
85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic
90dB
Subway train at 200'
95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss
90 - 95dB
Power mower at 3'
107dB
Snowmobile, Motorcycle
100dB
Power saw at 3'
110dB
Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert
115dB
Pain begins
125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4'
125dB
Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection
140dB
Jet engine at 100', Gun Blast
140dB
Death of hearing tissue
180dB
Loudest sound possible
194dB

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I find tiels a LOT louder then conures, but the Admiral does this freaking fire alarm whistle that's insane. It's ear splitting!!!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Well, I can say with certainty that Reggie Lou D2 is louder than my power saw!:)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ever had three tiels greet you when you walk through the door??? yowsa...it could be heard in the next block...super sonic for sure...and very heart warming...

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
There is no species are loud as the large cockatoos. (IMHO)
I've heard the calls of B&G's, GW's, Scarlet's, Militaries, Hy's....and they simply don't compare to the ear piercing sound of an M2, the SC2'S or any large 'too.
Large macaws are LOUD, for sure - but cockatoo's....wow! Too's, in my opinion, should be in #1 spot for loudness.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Seems pretty accurate. The cockatoos and macaws are about the same noise wise, but the cockatoos are more determined and will scream all day! Macaws usually get tired after 30 minutes or so. Pancho definitely belongs at the bottom where he is.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I would put cockatoos at the top, followed by macaws. Then I agree w/your list up to but excluding sun conures. I would say a nanday is louder than a sun, & don't know about the rest, except for budgies & teils. I think 'teils are louder than budgies

Status
Not open for further replies.