• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot food

Pinkmeso

Moving in
Real Name
Sheridan
Okay, new here and am researching what are the best pellets that you feed your buddy? Am getting a Cape parrot, just wanting to know organic? or no? I always try to feed organic, so really looking for any and all input. Thank you

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome to the avenue!
There are a lot of opninions on parrot food, personally I feed this to my two lovies: nutribird pellet(fruit blend because they don’t eat the Naturalis, also this is the only parrot they eat so far. If TOPS was better available in my country I would feed that As well), sprouted legumes/beans/seeds, a home Made seed blend, a commercial seed blend, daily chop(chopped up veggies and fruit. I make a batch and freeze it, when I defrost it I mix in other things and pellets to take up excess water and ghey Will be softened at the same time, veggies I eat on any given day, and then I have birdie bread.(I use bananas, coconut flour and water. Then I add all veggies/seed/etc. I want in it.

O and I use organic when it is available, most things I get at the local market. I do use organic for the ‘dirty dozen’(if you type in in Google you Will get a list of fruit/veggies on which the most pesticides are used). But then, organic does not always mean good.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you, sounds yummy. I just want to make sure he gets the best I can give him :0)
I know! We all do:heart: It is very good you are doing research! There are just a lot of opninions and I don’t want to sound like I am saying this is the only way to feed your fid because it isn’t:lol: I forget to add, in the summer they also get safe flowers that grow here:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The best pellet for your bird is one it will actually eat because they don't just eat anything you put in front of them. You will end up experimenting with different pellets until you find one they like.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
I switched all my birds from Zupreem Fruity to Roudybush. I like Roudybush because it has no sugar. It’s also softer, which my birds like. I tried Harrison’s, but nobody would touch it, but I was really amazed when everybody tried the Roudybush!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Yay, welcome!!! So excited to meet another Cape Parrot owner!!! We are few but mighty :)

My Cape Parrot Lola eats Harrison's, which is an organic and fortified pellet, but TOPs is another good organic option. It's not vitamin fortified, though, so keep that in mind.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes your only actually complete organic pellet is Harrison's. TOPS is all organic but is missing many nutrients so you would need to supplement another fortified pellet with it.

That being said, none of my birds like Harrison's or TOPS :lol:

Goldenfeast is another one with good ingredients but is also not fortified.

Pellets that are complete but not organic include:

Zupreem Naturals
Caitec Ovenfresh Bites
Hagen Tropican
Higgins inTune
Roudybush Maintenance
Lafeber Daily Maintenance

and othersI am sure I forgot!

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

You have received some great advice, but the one to absolutely take to heart is from John - the best pellet is the one your parrot will eat.

Everyone has their preferences and ones they do not like... but even when we find the 'perfect' pellet that has exactly the ingredients and formulation that WE love, our parrot(s) will likely turn their nose up. And even if you are lucky and your parrot dives beak in and eats those pellets, chances are in 6 months or a year, they will start tossing them out looking for something else.

We have quite a few birds in our homes, and previously was involved for quite a few years with a large rescue. One thing about pellets, parrots often get bored with them. So, think of maybe finding a couple you are comfortable with and try them, and if your parrot likes them, do a rotation. I share two personal experiences with a macaw and a bare eye cockatoo... My macaw is a pretty wonderful eater, Max will eat most foods I offer, he started on Harrisons Pepper and Roudybush... then stopped eating Harrisons, so I tried Caitec Baked Bites which he would eat, so rotated between Roudybush and Caitec. Then he stopped eating Roudybush altogether, so tho I am not a Zupreem fan, tried their naturals which ironically he would not eat. I then happened upon Phoenix Foraging and they have a unique natural pellet 'alternative' green chunk, Max loves those... for the last 2 or 3 years he has eaten the green chunks regularly but I still bounce around with pellets, right now we are trying Pretty Bird. So sometimes it's a matter of changing up the menu :)

And then the other end of the spectrum is my little bare eye girl, who while a smaller cockatoo is the biggest pain in the behind. She refuses to eat pretty much any pellet. We go thru battles where I leave the pellets and she just eats around them... So I have found with her, I put the pellets thru the nutribullet to create a dust and coat everything she eats in the pellet dust so one way or another pellets are going into that little white body whether she realizes it or not!! I also grind up pellets and put the dust into every type of birdie bread, crackers or nutriberry type treats I bake for them. When she is being especially difficult, I admit I'll make a sweeter bread (use honey or corn syrup), herbal tea such as raspberry or other fruity flavors (loose tea leaves) and bake them along with lots of ground up Pretty Bird pellets to make a tasty bread that she loves.

Sorry I'm babbling, welcome to AA, I'm the village babbler :) But, just remember John's point, the best pellet is the one your bird will eat. So while you a pellet such as Pretty Bird might not be your first choice, if your bird refuses to eat everything else, sometimes the pellets that fall down the list are the best option because they actually get eaten.

Welcome to the parrot world. Look forward to hearing updates and seeing photos!!

Pinkmeso

Moving in
Real Name
Sheridan
Thanks for all the great info :0) just don't know what it is about the Cape parrot that I love, guess it's everything. Fell in love with the look and personality, and I have been around lots of parrots, they are all special, but for me, it's a Cape :0)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I can fully understand your attraction to a Cape parrot. I love all the African bird species, especially Greys and Capes. Good luck

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thanks for all the great info :0) just don't know what it is about the Cape parrot that I love, guess it's everything. Fell in love with the look and personality, and I have been around lots of parrots, they are all special, but for me, it's a Cape :0)
I know exactly what you mean :heart: Where's your Cape coming from? I have a female named Lola, going on 8 years old now. Time has flown with her.

While I completely understand the adage that the best pellet is the one your parrot will eat, keep in mind that a little persistence can be everything. ;) If there's a particular pellet you're set on feeding, just don't give up. Lola was weaned onto Roudybush and then fed TOPs for her early years, and totally refused Harrison's. Then one day she just decided she loved it. You just have to be more stubborn than your bird is. :)

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
:welcome2: Well, I feed my tiel Zupreem Natural and Higgins seed mix. He also gets millet, veggies (though grated in his pasta/grain mix), whole wheat toast/bread, unsalted crackers and he loves air-popped popcorn. I'll be adding in Nutriberries as a main substitute for his pellets, because he needs seeds more. It is true that opinions differ on the right foods and everyone's birds have different dietary needs for different species, etc. Can't wait to see your Cape!