• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot Cage?

Artémise

Meeting neighbors
Hello
My eclectus cage has become very dirty and since it is difficult to get bird things here, in Mauritius, I’ve been looking for a cage for months.
Eventually a seller told me he has a big cage. He didn’t open the box but assured me it was a parrot cage with safe materials.
I asked about perches and he said it was included. I believed him and bought the cage.
It is when he came to deliver today that I saw that it was not a parrot cage, the door opened differently... A5F8075E-E4AF-4657-8704-2E64A48A217D.jpeg 48519CFD-44A1-4B4D-A6C4-7C2E92675C8E.jpeg E403D0D2-8F72-481A-8BD8-85095239EB69.jpeg 09F8C604-A913-4C5F-BF61-AC45774B2173.jpeg 89790D5C-ABAA-46ED-8530-DBF8A82D831A.jpeg and when I asked him why the perches didn’t fit, he said he added them and the bowls. But assured me again that the material was safe.
What should I do now? Use the cage or not, but I won’t have the money to buy another cage soon, if ever I can find another one here.
Has anyone ever used this type of cage before?
And would anybody know if it is safe for parrots?
Thank you.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah probably not a parrot cage. However, it's probably just fine assuming the coating on it is sturdy. Maybe it was a sugar-glider or rat cage? I would take out all the ramps, wire platforms, and dowels and put proper perches in. Only thing you might struggle with is the strength of the bars. They look pretty thin and the bigger parrot perches will bend the wire easily. Would probably be best using rope perches that attach at two ends. You will also need to figure out some makeshift locks. Your eckie will figure out how to sneak out of that cage in a heart beat I am willing to bet.

Artémise

Meeting neighbors
Hello
Thnx for the reply
I think it’s a chinchilla or iguana cage.
As long as it’s safe I’ll redo the inside.
But I was afraid of using it.
I’m reassured now.
Yea, ill put locks on both.
Have a great day ahead.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you know what the cage is made of or do you have a brand name of the cage? Some of them will have something written on the cage itself or the box they come in some of them may not.

I know when I cleaned my cage down for the first time (before putting my bird in it) it was dusty and dirty from where ever it had been packed, maybe it is just dust or residue from when the cage was made?

The cage itself looks like it is more for a furry animal than for a parrot so I am guessing you are ready to make some moderations to it for your bird? I think the most important thing at this point is to make sure the cage is powder coated and not painted or covered with tough plastic. i have had a few cage items for dogs or cats that was coated in some sort of plastic type paint stuff (I am not sure what it was) and this stuff would not be safe for a parrot. Is it powder coated?

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
The stairs lead me to believe that is probably a sugar glider cage (i've had one before) or a cat cage possibly but like they said assuming the coating is sturdy should be fine...
but about those stairs.
are those like removable?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The ramps and platforms on all those types of cages are (usually) removable so they can be arranged how you like. We had similar cages for our ferrets and over the years a few for the cat too. I never found one that had permanent platforms and ladders but that is not to say they are all the same. Most of the cage type items I have come across over the years are powder coated but I have had one or two with some sort of weird plastic stuff.

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Perfect So Those aren't an issue.
so i think this (as long as they paint is sturdy) you dont want your bird swallowing any paint.
i think that as long as those are in check i dont see why you cant use cage for your bird!

Artémise

Meeting neighbors
Hi
Thnx for the replies
I’ve posted a pic of the cage. I’ve only put her perches yet, not put her toys yet.
She seems to like the stairs going up and down so I’ve left one.
But I was very afraid yesterday when I saw that.
No there was nothing written on the box. The seller assured it was for parrots too and of the same material but then again he lied about the cage coming with perches and then added his own perches.
If it was easy to have cages here I would have bought another to be on the safe side but I’ve searched for months before getting this one and it was very expensive.
Is there a way that I could know about the material?
Thnx loads.

Attachments

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Hi. I have a cage like that for my disabled Ekkie. She only has one good foot. The doors do need some attention though. Perhaps added D-rings? For what its worth I tend to put new cages outside for a week and wash them a few times to age them a bit. I also grab my own branches. My girl is out a lot and she has an outdoor aviary as well. Oh, I also put toys close to the sides of the cage so she plays with them and not the bars. They definitely do know how to use their beaks. I hope all is well. :)