• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parker has become very unpredictable :(

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I am sorry that this is happening. I hope that you can find a solution for him.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, they had their last treatment - I have not seen any evidence of lice in 2 weeks, and gave them Revolution also as an added measure. So I tried to let them all together in their cage again - total fail. Parker harassed the other rats for 2 hours - wouldn't let them eat or drink, or play or sleep - just chased them and they HATED it. Wilson is bigger than Parker and is usually down for a tussel but even he was getting annoyed with it. Stark is smaller, and even with Wilson was protecting him lost some fur :(

I just don't think they can be together anymore :(

He lets me pet him in the cage so I guess we will just keep on the way we are now and see what happens.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I’m so sorry, Shawna. This breaks my heart. :( I really hope that something can be done or something will change and you can keep your trio of cute rattie boys. :fingerscrossed:

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Is it Parker's birthday this coming month in October?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is it Parker's birthday this coming month in October?

Parker and Wilson are from the same litter and have the same birthdate and Stark is "about 2 weeks" younger. I don't have dates on any of them though

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I’m so sorry, Shawna. This breaks my heart. :( I really hope that something can be done or something will change and you can keep your trio of cute rattie boys. :fingerscrossed:

I moved him to another cage and in another area of the house - and I am sad to say that once Stark couldn't smell him anymore he became SO much more relaxed. He has been hiding and so meek and mild this whole time and today for the first time he was playing and sleeping in his normal favorite spots. Parker is super depressed because he wants to be with the other rats but I can't trust him with them :( I think it is time for me to find him a home he can have a chance at friends but also allow the other two to be happy :( Everyone is so stressed and unhappy otherwise.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm sorry to hear he's such a troubled little rattie, I hope you can find him a good home but I know it's very hard to rehome an animal with any aggression issues like that, especially such mysterious ones. Hopefully whatever his issue is it's something someone else can safely provide or can be fixed with a neuter... I worry if he just has a loose screw he doesn't have much chance of a normal life anywhere.

But whatever your choice, I do agree your families' and other rats' happiness and safety come first and it sounds like no one is really happy or comfortable around him anymore. That's really heartbreaking how much more content Stark was feeling safe.

:sadhug2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm sorry to hear he's such a troubled little rattie, I hope you can find him a good home but I know it's very hard to rehome an animal with any aggression issues like that, especially such mysterious ones. Hopefully whatever his issue is it's something someone else can safely provide or can be fixed with a neuter... I worry if he just has a loose screw he doesn't have much chance of a normal life anywhere.

But whatever your choice, I do agree your families' and other rats' happiness and safety come first and it sounds like no one is really happy or comfortable around him anymore. That's really heartbreaking how much more content Stark was feeling safe.

:sadhug2:

I know :( the whole thing is breaking my heart. I feel like I can't win no matter what I do. When I saw Stark I felt awful that I've been inadvertently subjecting him to so much stress. Plus seeing Parker miserable too is just... Ugh. I think there is a nice rat still tucked away inside him but that might just be me being naive or hopeful.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am sorry Shawna that this situation doesn't appear to have a so far happy and peaceful resolution.:angelic: I know that you are sad about this and it sucks! :arghh:

I wish I could make Parker be a better boy for you! Maybe he will chill as he gets older. :what:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I am just curious, why don't you want him to be neutered? Vets neuter ferrets and dwarf bunnies with success.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am just curious, why don't you want him to be neutered? Vets neuter ferrets and dwarf bunnies with success.

1) Rats tend to pick more at incisions and have higher chances of complications
2) The price is $300 for the initial operation, does not include any after care or any allowances for complications and my husband is dead set on not spending that
3) The vet is not convinced it will actually curb the behavior he is exhibiting

So it's an expensive gamble on many fronts

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had females before too but they were always GO GO GO and never stopped long enough to want to be petted :lol:. So people told me to try the males. I guess females CAN be aggressive too but males definitely have better chances I think. It's all a toss up though really!

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
It's definitely a toss up.
If he has to be alone for the safety/sanity of the others, so be it.
Life isn't always perfect.
Rats are so much like humans, and some are just mean.

I spent about half the day separating male rabbits. My Flemish Giants are normally easy-going. I thought I had separated the big pens into separate areas for compatible two-somes (litter mates who have always been together), but came back for evening chores to fine blood everywhere. Looked like a murder scene, although all I could find was a cut on one ear of the larger male. I don't know who started what, but the smaller one (with an absolutely innocent soft face) apparently finished it, and didn't appear to have a hair out of place.

So, now I have more individual rabbits in smaller spaces. Not expecting that to change.
Hope your rat calms down, and gets over what ever is bothering him.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry you're going through this. I've had american mink and ferret bites, cat bites, a very small number of real parrot bites too... and i've found nothing is as scary as a bad rat bite! they remove chunks with their sharp teeth and are so fast that they're difficult to avoid. Super scary!

I had 7 rats in the past, 6 females (2 groups of 3) and 1 male. My first 3 females were neutered at a young age to try and avoid them from getting certain high risk, frequent types of tumors as they age... so I decided to go for a male rat and add him to their group. I liked the bigger size and he came from a friend of mine who breeds for temperament. (hormonal agression in males often having a genetic cause.) You're supposed to wait until a male hits one year old before you breed him to be certain that he's not agressive and won't pass that trait down to his male descendents and she never made an exception to that rule. (Females are not concerned by hormonal agression, they very seldomly bite.)

Well... long story short, I lived what you're going through and it was horrible. He was great with his female friends and until he hit 10 months, he was great with humans too! and suddenly completely changed. He was clearly hormone agressive and unlike parrots that you can work with, rat hormones don't ever go down. That kind of agression won't go away. You can still train them with positive reinforcement of course and take precautions etc. to avoid bites but you have very little chance of getting your sweet pet back if you don't neuter him.

In my case, his breeder ended up taking him in because I just became too afraid of him to properly work with him and his territorial cage agression displays towards me were stressing out his girlfriends. He really calmed down over time with proper training but he was in expert hands. I wish you luck with yours!

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Shawna! I'm so sorry you have all this going on right now. You wrote that your using Neosporin on your wound, it reminded me of something. If the wound is punctures, the Neosporin is the worst thing to use. My sister had a cat bite on her hand & used the Neosporin on it. She licked the bacteria from the cats mouth in w/ the Neosporin. He r finger got badly infected, was on antibiotics for forever & almost had to have her finger nail permanently removed. I didn't want you to have to deal w/ that on top of everything else. Maybea rats bite is different from a kitty's. If this wasted your time, I apologize.

Sending you healing thoughts!

:gbh: Rain

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm sorry you're going through this. I've had american mink and ferret bites, cat bites, a very small number of real parrot bites too... and i've found nothing is as scary as a bad rat bite! they remove chunks with their sharp teeth and are so fast that they're difficult to avoid. Super scary!

I had 7 rats in the past, 6 females (2 groups of 3) and 1 male. My first 3 females were neutered at a young age to try and avoid them from getting certain high risk, frequent types of tumors as they age... so I decided to go for a male rat and add him to their group. I liked the bigger size and he came from a friend of mine who breeds for temperament. (hormonal agression in males often having a genetic cause.) You're supposed to wait until a male hits one year old before you breed him to be certain that he's not agressive and won't pass that trait down to his male descendents and she never made an exception to that rule. (Females are not concerned by hormonal agression, they very seldomly bite.)

Well... long story short, I lived what you're going through and it was horrible. He was great with his female friends and until he hit 10 months, he was great with humans too! and suddenly completely changed. He was clearly hormone aggressive and unlike parrots that you can work with, rat hormones don't ever go down. That kind of agression won't go away. You can still train them with positive reinforcement of course and take precautions etc. to avoid bites but you have very little chance of getting your sweet pet back if you don't neuter him.

In my case, his breeder ended up taking him in because I just became too afraid of him to properly work with him and his territorial cage agression displays towards me were stressing out his girlfriends. He really calmed down over time with proper training but he was in expert hands. I wish you luck with yours!

I have been working with him in a separate room of the house in his own cage. He lets me pet him and lift him without any issues. So I am hopeful that we are on the mend. Unfortunately I am not able to get him neutered so I have to work with him like this. I got him off of Craigslist as a rehome at 4 months, but I do know he was from a feeder breeder. His full blood brother though has none of the same inclinations.

Hi Shawna! I'm so sorry you have all this going on right now. You wrote that your using Neosporin on your wound, it reminded me of something. If the wound is punctures, the Neosporin is the worst thing to use. My sister had a cat bite on her hand & used the Neosporin on it. She licked the bacteria from the cats mouth in w/ the Neosporin. He r finger got badly infected, was on antibiotics for forever & almost had to have her finger nail permanently removed. I didn't want you to have to deal w/ that on top of everything else. Maybea rats bite is different from a kitty's. If this wasted your time, I apologize.

Sending you healing thoughts!

:gbh: Rain

That is good to know! It was more of a tear not a puncture in my case but I know they can infect easily too. It does look like i will have a scar but no lasting pain or anything, thankfully! I appreciate the tip and I'm sorry to hear about your sister!