• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parents favouring one chick

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
IMG_20190109_151535.jpg IMG_20190109_145348.jpg IMG_20190109_145801.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
They are awfully cute, but I'd worry about feeding a formula designed for large parrots to small parrots since they are not designed to be the same. Perhaps someone else may have better input.

A19
Analytical constituents
Protein 19%, Fat content 12%, Crude ash 8%, Crude fibre 1.50%, Lysine 1%, Methionine 0.55%, Tryptophan 0.20%, Threonine 0.60%, Calcium 1.15%, Phosphorus 0.60%, Sodium 0.35%, Magnesium 0.13%

A21
Analytical constituents
Protein 21%, Fat content 9%, Crude ash 8.50%, Crude fibre 1.50%, Lysine 1.25%, Methionine 0.54%, Tryptophan 0.24% Threonine 0.70%, Calcium 1.15%, Phosphorus 0.60%, Sodium 0.40%, Magnesium 0.14%

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They are awfully cute, but I'd worry about feeding a formula designed for large parrots to small parrots since they are not designed to be the same. Perhaps someone else may have better input.
I had the same concern :( , however I also had 2 chicks with empty crops at home and it was Christmas... The Spanish also celebrate the 3 Kings here so it has been non stop Bank Holidays for weeks.
It does say high energy birds, which lovebirds are. And without this formula I would have lost both chicks not just one. I've also fed this to the other chicks when I've seen them with empty crops too.
Yes I would love if someone knows more about the difference in composition, however it is not something I hope to repurchase.
I looked at videos online of making baby food, and people were just blending carrots and other veg... But I prefered to buy formula. Cheaper is not always cheaper.
IMG_20190109_180842.jpg

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I understand. The formula you have is made for *large* birds that require the extra fat content, not small birds - even if they are high energy. Gosh, so much to worry about!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I understand. The formula you have is made for *large* birds that require the extra fat content, not small birds - even if they are high energy. Gosh, so much to worry about!
Yes, and I see on the composition you posted, the protein % is also very different :(
It is doing the trick ´til I can get the right one. My dog is getting a jab this week so I think I will take this up with the vet while I´m there and see if they can help me :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I had the same concern :( , however I also had 2 chicks with empty crops at home and it was Christmas...
That is good formula. And good brand. The difference is so small and this formula does contain more fat which is good at the moment.
And without this formula I would have lost both chicks not just one.
You did the right thing. For me all this proves what a great parront you are. You buy food and start feeding them and you where asking here for advices. You didn't wait until it was to late.
That all is still alive is because of you so enjoy that feeling. :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The eldest are now 20 days old, so I don't know what to do... Do I take the 2 eldest now, but will the hen get angry and attack the other birds.. Or do I take the smaller 2... Or all of them? I'm leaning more towards all of them, ..
Very difficult. Are you planning to continue breeding her don't take all babies from her.
I would have taken the two smallest one so noone is alone.
You will see how she react to this.
That can also bee a big releaf for her. Perhaps four was to many for her to handle..

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Eloy I´m putting the divider in the cage when I take the chicks because she will attack Jaime. I´m not planning on more chicks any time soon. Jaime needs a rest and I want his feathers to grow back too - he plucked lots out to make the nest when the eggs appeared.
I think 4 chicks was too many for them. They did great when it was just 2 chicks.
The problem taking the smallest is I don´t have anything to keep the chick warm and it is extremely small. I´m also concerned as it´s eyes are not even starting to open yet. I worry that the youngest is so small it may get asphyxiated beneath the others, which is the main reason I want to split the chicks 2 and 2.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hey everyone. So, later today I will be taking the 2 elder chicks and leaving the 2 youngest with the parents. The eldest chicks are 21 days old now. I would have liked to wait a few more days however I worry about the youngest getting trapped under everyone.
The youngest has started to open his eyes finally!! I'm so glad! They were closed this morning but now they are opening.
I have a smaller nesting box spare so the 2 elder chicks can go in there to keep warm.
I will keep a close eye on everyone to make sure the hen doesn't attack the chicks I leave with her.
Thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread so far. It's quite worrying when the chicks aren't getting fed or other problems arise, and it's nice to receive help and advice from a community of bird lovers.
IMG_20190110_145949.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The 2 elder chicks are in their new set up(in the spare cage with floor took out) . When the youngest is big enough I'll bring the other 2 and put them in with the other chicks.
When I opened the door after taking the 2 chicks, Dad Jaime was straight in there feeding the second youngest. It will be interesting to see if they start feeding the tiny chick. As long as they keep him warm and don't harm him I'll be very happy.
So far so good. IMG_20190111_143740.jpg IMG_20190111_142408.jpg IMG_20190111_142354.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So it has been a day, the parents are not feeding the youngest. Just the bigger of the 2 young ones.
I've opened cages for some play and fly time, Aldora doesn't want to come out of the her nest as usual.
So Jaime came over to greet the chicks that were taken yesterday... IMG_20190112_115718.jpg

Next thing, Lapis and Nube are both intrigued by what is going on, so they come over .. I was a little worried of an attack so I held the babies in one hand and had the other ready to split them, but they started preening the chicks ❤ IMG_20190112_115823.jpg
IMG_20190112_115941.jpg

Is that not just the cutest thing ever!!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just an update for you all, the parents have very little interest in any of these chicks. So unlike last time they would all be together when they're out the cages, this time the parents aren't interested and are not going to see the chicks.
The little one is now 27 days old believe it or not.
Here they are now, (photos from a couple of hours ago)
IMG_20190118_144225.jpg
His buddy next to him hatched 1 day earlier
IMG_20190118_144211.jpg

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
IMG_20190118_143950.jpg IMG_20190118_143730.jpg IMG_20190118_143906.jpg IMG_20190118_142736_1.jpg
In this last picture, from left, Petín the eldest, Saatchi second eldest but hatched same day, the little one in the end there has no name yet, born 1 day after the 2 eldest and 1 day before the youngest... I'm sure you can spot the young one. No name.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Lucky is a fitting name for the little one

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Lucky is a fitting name for the little one
He definately deserves a good strong name, he is a little fighter. However I´m not keeping this clutch :( So not my choice :( I want to keep him so bad but I just can´t

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe you could suggest the name

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
They are all so cute! You are doing a wonderful job with them. P. Diddy Fiddy would be a cute name.