• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paranoid about choking my conure while administering oral meds

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
I've been giving my GCC Baytril for a sinus infection for the last two weeks. She's been handling it fine, knows the drill, usually stays still until I put down the syringe. I usually towel her up to make sure she doesn't struggle and put my thumb under her beak so her head stays still, which means I hold her a little above parallel to the ground. I give her the medicine by putting small droplets on the left side of her beak.

This morning, while I was administering the medicine, she impatiently opened up her beak because she wanted the whole ordeal to be over with, and at that moment I accidentally applied a little too much pressure to the syringe and made the medicine shoot right into her beak. I'm afraid I might've made her aspirate a little medicine? She seemed fine after it, even though she made a very soft squeal (sounded similar to the straining squeals that GCCs make while stretching) before swallowing it. I'm paranoid that I made her choke and got medicine into her lungs or something.

Edited to add some more details.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if you are worried, please consult your vet as soon as possible.