• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Parakeet with clicking sound

Blue Aqua

Checking out the neighborhood
:budgie2::anyone:
Hello, I have a 7 y.o. male parakeet. About 2 weeks ago he started making clicking sound & his tail moving up & down a little every time he takes a breath. He eats & drinks, cleans himself, chirps & has no problems otherwise.
He is on Baytril antibiotic currently. Anybody had similar experience with their parakeets?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome. :) What's he on the antibiotics for and how long has he been on them?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What you describe is not normal. Even though this bird is on medication it does not mean the med will be effective against the microorganism in question. I would call vet and go back for a follow up visit.

Blue Aqua

He was on Baytril for 3 days.
He has to go through 1 liter of drinking water mixed with 1 ml of the medicine( I think it’s 100mg Baytril total) I was told. In addition I am doing warmth & humidity treatments ( lamp & keeping him in the shower once a day) Vet listened to his heart & lungs, examined his body, sad no problem there. One more idea, has anybody had a bird reaction to a different bedding? I always had wood chips stuff & WM was out so I started using critters bedding ( gray fluff paperlike) about 3 weeks ago
Thank you

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He was on Baytril for 3 days.
He has to go through 1 liter of drinking water mixed with 1 ml of the medicine( I think it’s 100mg Baytril total) I was told. In addition I am doing warmth & humidity treatments ( lamp & keeping him in the shower once a day) Vet listened to his heart & lungs, examined his body, sad no problem there. One more idea, has anybody had a bird reaction to a different bedding? I always had wood chips stuff & WM was out so I started using critters bedding ( gray fluff paperlike) about 3 weeks ago
Thank you

The paper bedding may be too dusty for birds' sensitive lungs. Particles get trapped in their lungs very easily. I think you're better off with unshredded paper towels or non-glossy newspaper.

Also when I kept rats as pets, every single one that I had used wood chips developed tumors from the oil in the wood chips. Once I learned that I switched bedding. There are a few kiln-dried wood beddings that are safe for rodents, but I'm not sure if they're bird-safe.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
First - don't use bedding. Never! Use news paper or buy cage liners.

There is a very good reason not to use bedding. Bedding hold water and dampness encourages mold and fungus. One of the most frequent reason that birds get Aspergillosis is because of damp bedding that has encouraged the Asper fungus.

Please read this and become aware of the dangers. If the antibiotic is not doing any good, there is the possibility that your bird has a fungal or mold infection.

Aspergillosis / Aflatoxins in Pet Birds | Beauty of Birds

Blue Aqua

Thank you, I asked the vet about the bedding too. He thought it was ok but I just thought how it happened after I switched bedding. Will go to paper towels
How long do parakeets live usually? I thought I had a pretty old bird & maybe his immune system getting weak or something

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What you describe is not normal. Even though this bird is on medication it does not mean the med will be effective against the microorganism in question. I would call vet and go back for a follow up visit.
I keep coming back to this. This is a very good point. I would definitely call your vet and describe his condition and ask if there might be a better treatment for him. Then clean out the bedding and replace it with non-glossy newspaper because that's something you can do to help now. :) I hope your budgie will make a complete recovery. :hug8:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you, I asked the vet about the bedding too. He thought it was ok but I just thought how it happened after I switched bedding. Will go to paper towels
How long do parakeets live usually? I thought I had a pretty old bird & maybe his immune system getting weak or something

I believe they usually live between 10-15 years. It is possible that he is having complications from the beddings, again my rats took several years for their tumors to develop from the wood oils. But it is possible you got lucky and it's form something else entirely. :shrug: All you can do is give him the best care you know how going forward. :pinksmile:

What is your budgie's name? How long have you had him? He's such a cutie in your avatar. My green cheeks love that beaded mirror like he has! :yes3:

Blue Aqua

His name is Aqua, 7 y. o.
Thank you for all your advice
I feel that this forum gave me more info than I ever could google or get from the vet clinic
I’ll do my best with his treatments & will hope for recovery

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
His name is Aqua
:blink: I feel like I should have guessed that.

Best of luck with your little guy & please do keep us posted! We're all pulling for him.

alexmait

Meeting neighbors
I tend to line the cage bottom with unprinted light grey paper with unbleached paper towels. It may cost a bit more but at least I know it has the least chemicals.

I hope your parakeet gets in to see the vet soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope Aqua will be better soon. If the medication does not help be sure to contact the vet for a follow up.
I use continuous white computer paper or plain paper towels to line the bottoms of the cages.