• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parakeet has noise in lungs

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
As responsible bird owners we should try to set aside a vet emergency fund. Try to build it up so that in case it is needed we can find out what is wrong with our bird, get treatment or have an injury taken care of.
I DID have an emergency fund for them. We both work retail and so aren't able to set back a lot at a time. We used the last of said fund last June trying to save 2 others from our flock.

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
No luck on the vet today, unfortunately. He has an appointment tomorrow morning at 11, I just hope he makes it through the night, so he can make the appt. His breath is a bit heavy today. It's not good. At least he has his "brother" to keep his spirits up and and keep him relaxed. Keeps him fed too I'm case he's not eating enough.

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Still no improvement. His appointment is in 4 hours. I just pray he makes it.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thoughts and prayers for him

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
We have applied for that before, and didn't get it because we don't have any credit to begin with.

Anyway, I'm at the vet waiting to check out. The vet here saw him and is definitely NOT optimistic for his prognosis. She said that 1 or both sides of his heart are "not doing their job", and that his liver may be following suit. She said he really only has one option for any chance, and that was hospitalization and O2 with lasix to help him brwathe. If this doesn't work, we'll have toend his suffering. This is killing us. Buddy was mine for 2 months before I even bought him. He was mine before he was even mine.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about Buddy. Sending positive thoughts for him. Hope the O2 and medication will help.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
If he's actually in heart failure, which is what you seem to be describing, there isn't a quick fix, nor a permanent one. Sometimes we spend a lot of money and time fighting battles that can't be won. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but I've been through this with a child... it may be that the heroic measure you need simply don't exist. Don't beat yourself up over this if the worst happens.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Prayers upward

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am so sorry...recently in the same situation. Fluid in the lungs, infection but curing the infection doesn't fix all the congestion and they can only go so long on the meds until it just doesn't help as much anymore.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, no! I’m so sorry the prognosis isn’t better for sweet Buddy. I hope the treatment helps!
:sadhug2:

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
We definitely understand that. We're, at this point, just trying to give him some good time at home, and easier and more comfortable time breathing.

Well we brought Buddy home yesterday. We figured at the very least he deserved one more day at home, and to go out on a full crop. He hadn't eaten at all yesterday because of the vet visit.

So we went to 3 different grocery stores to find his absolute favorite foods, including several kinds of fruit. So he'll be getting quite the feast for possibly his last full days.

His vet also gave us some of the lasix in an oral suspension so that we could make it easier for him to breathe and more comfortable while we're figuring things out. He took his first dose last night like a champ. Here's never been bad when it comes to being held. Apparently same with medicating.

Anyway, we checked on him every hour on the hour last night and this morning so far, and he's still with us. And it seems breathing a bit easier, probably from the lasix. Just figured I'd update real quick.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The lasix can help with breathing a lot. Jasper has been on it for 17 years now along with Benazipril (high blood pressure and heart). She also gets two hours per day in her 02 box, which helps her a lot. Is there anyone you know who may have an oxygen concentrator that you can borrow for him?

I'm so very sorry that his diagnosis wasn't better.

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Unfortunately the only Dr that would let me use it isn't there until Monday, and the receptionists are pretty well useless. High turn over rate there means I have no pull anymore for going so often with so many birds. Nobody knows us anymore up front.

I'm getting ready to give how first dose of lasix for the day. Any tips on that? I mean I know it's pretty straight forward, and I know how to give meds orally, but any advice you could spare would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of bird is Jasper? I can't believe I found someone who has even a similar situation. No one elsewhere has even tried to help us.

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
This is what everyone got today. In the bulky mix, corn, beans, peas, and carrot, boiled and cooled. In the fine mix, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, golden beets, and orange bell pepper. Fruit consists of strawberries, kiwi, orange, Fuji apple, banana, and blackberries. Sprinkled with high potency pellets from Harrison's, and our girls got millet balls shoved into the new ish fruits to entice them in.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Buddy is very lucky to have you. I’m sure he’s happy to be at home, and that he’ll enjoy all of that yummy food!
:hug8:

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Buddy is very lucky to have you. I’m sure he’s happy to be at home, and that he’ll enjoy all of that yummy food!
:hug8:

Yes he definitely is happier being home. And his bestie Perry is also feeling better mentally now that Buddy is back home. Just with a day at the ver, prett was really depressed. I'm not looking forward to our worst case scenario.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
:bighug:Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
By @Jean20057 n - "What kind of bird is Jasper? I can't believe I found someone who has even a similar situation. No one elsewhere has even tried to help us."

There are a few birds on this forum that have heart disease. Heart disease come in a number of varieties and Jasper has Congestive Heart Disease and Atherosclerosis. I happen to have a wonderful-great vet whom I have been with for 21 years now (doesn't seem possible). When I brought her in to him, he took one look at her xrays -turned and walked out of the room, came back and gave her a shot of lasix. I was feeding her bits of peanuts and he looked at me and said, "That is the last peanut Jasper ever have." And it was.

Jasper is a 25 YO GW female. I got her when she was 6 1/2 years old and she already had heart disease from the diet she had been fed. Her diet now is very, very lean - lots of green leafy stuff (chop), some quinoa, brown rice and bird bread (that I make so I know what is in it). Plus she gets Harrison' High potency pellets, CAitec Fresh oven bites and Lafebers Vegetable Nutri Berries - nothing else. Since she was raised on Fritos, bacon, ice cream, peanuts and other junk food, she gets a few Fritos now and then. Like Dr. Driggers said, "Life is not worth living withou a Frito now and then.

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
That is amazing! I love her journey, and I'm so glad that she found her way into your life and caring home. That last bit about the Fritos killed me, lol. Is the lasix you give her intramuscular or oral? Buddy has to be restrained obviously, to give him his, and I hate to do it, because I feel like I'm making the breathing problem worse because of how stressed he gets. He gets the oral version and because he's so small I have to hold him longer and split the one dose between 2 or more holds. I feel like it would be easier with an insulin needle to put it right into the muscle. I had to do that last year with one I lost, and it was waaaay quicker. I feel like it would be less stressful. Maybe I'll ask the ver on Monday if Buddy is still with us. God willing he will be.