• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent PARAKEET DIED SUDDENLY

Charlotte2727

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sara
My year old parakeet died. He has been getting out of his cage and flying. I would be like where are u coming from. He must have feel off his perch cuz he is dead at the bottom. I also have another parakeet with him in the same cage. WHat should I do??? :(

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I’m sorry for your loss. If your parakeet can fly it’s unlikely he died from falling off a perch. I would suggest taking both birds to the vet Now. Maybe the vet will spot something on the one that passed to prevent the other from getting sick and dying as well. So please go to the vet!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, as @Kodigirl210 says, the other bird may be sick. Put him in his travel cage and take the dead on in a shoe box to the vet.

Best to be safe than sorry.

It could be that he ate something whilst out of the cage. Buy a new cage or secure the doors with something to avoid future escapes.

Charlotte2727

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sara
how much does it cost to go to a vet?
And get tests done?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on the vet and what tests they do. You will probably have to call a couple and get a sense of their prices.

Can you give us a rough idea of where you are - country and region would be fine. We may be able to suggest some vets for you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
how much does it cost to go to a vet?
Does it matter?

Personally if I were you and one of my birds mysteriously dropped dead, I would be heading to the nearest vet before it is too late.
I wouldn´t be umming and arring over money.

Money will come and go, and come and go. But your bird is only here now.

Charlotte2727

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sara
im just unfamiliar with any vets. ive never been to one.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss. You should try to find a vet that treats birds. Not all vets do. We have a list somewhere I think. I'll look.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for your loss of your sweet bird.
:sadhug2:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
In the Chicago area there's Niles Animal Hospital & Bird Medical Center, which many people swear by, and Glenwood Village Pet Hospital - Glenwood, IL, which is the vet I see. Take the dead bird in a small box to the vet and ask for a necropsy, that will attempt to find the cause of death. Bring the live bird in a small travel cage, he should have a checkup.

I highly doubt it was falling off his perch that killed him. If he was healthy, he would have been fine. There is any number of things that could have killed your bird. It could even be an illness that could spread to your living bird. That's why it's so vital to get the living one to the vet. It's also why you should take your bird to the vet regularly, so they can catch any signs of illness. I don't mean to be insensitive, but there is a possibility that if you had taken them to the vet the bird wouldn't have died.

Charlotte2727

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sara
Thank you for your replies. Is there any way that radon can cause deaths. Or can parakeet illnesses spread to other birds like sun conures. They are in separate cages in a different part of the room.

Kodigirl210

Without knowing what killed the bird absolutely. Since your bird was a year old it’s unlikely that it was polyoma but not 100%. That is very virulent and could kill all your birds. If you are having any incedence of Newcastle’s that would also kill you other bird. Honestly most infections spread rapidly in a flock, even in different areas unless you have been washing your hands and changing your clothes every time you visit with a different set of birds. So absolutely need to go in before more birds die. Please.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. Do get your other parakeet checked by the vet. You can also consider having a necropsy done on the bird that passed. Sometimes that can give info as to what the bird died from although sometimes the results are inconclusive.